Historical Fishing Locations

barbelboi

Reaction score
What's in Black Park Lake then ?
Probably not a lot now Skip - it dried up during the big heat of '76 and all the fish were removed. It was know for large carp in the early 1900s though and I remember a couple of 20+ fish from the roaring 20s stuffed in a case at a local pub many years ago......................

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
The main club that I’m a member of has some truly beautiful places on its books. One of the prettiest is in the grounds of Hever castle another has Bodium Castle as a backdrop.
db9b581c2724440deae8572173fd03bb.jpg

b39630918659e18ae17ef4a8b80038e1.jpg

3a3a9d59c9287bbacc6e0ba7a0045512.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chevin4

Reaction score
Tring Reservoirs most notably Wilstone certainly come into this category I feel. At one time Wilstone held records for three different species of fish namely Catfish Tench and Perch. I fished there quite regularly ten years ago but it was all or nothing. In fact theres Hard Rock Hard and Wilstone.
20201020_151207.jpg

Keith M

Reaction score
I’ve fished Runnymede and Windsor quite a few times, and the Long Water at Hampton Court when I was younger and Walton bridge which as ‘TheArtist’ said was painted by both Turner and Canaletto, I regularly go to the river Stour at Flatford Mill where Constable painted his ‘The Haywain’ picture although I haven’t fished there yet.
I’ve fish various places along the river Lea where Issac Walton used to fish in the Compleat Angler book.

Our estate lake has appeared in many movies like Village of the damned and the lady of the lake etc. etc. and many TV series over the years, like Auf Wiedersehen Pet, the Professionals and a lot of other series; and I think the last time it appeared was in the Holby City series when a senior doctors son walked into the lake.

Keith

Last edited:

no-one in particular

Reaction score
I have fished near a few along the coast or in the background more or less., Deal Castle, Walmer Castle, Martello Towers, Dover Castle, Pevensey Castle although that was in a little drain nearby. All have lots of history, in the case of Pevensey it goes back to Roman and Norman times and before that it is supposed that William Conqueror landed there and Julius Caesar although it is disputed as to exactly where they landed. Interesting thread.

Pete Shears

Reaction score
The only water I fish with any history is Beechmere, it can be very unsettling at times.

Hugh Bailey

Reaction score
Like a lot, have fished Henley, Marlow, Runnymede, Walton, Staines, Kingston, Richmond etc. Also fished the Wey opposite a Manor House owned by, I think Edward II and used in the filming of Downton.

Deejay8

Reaction score
I used to fish at Embley Lake and Icehouse Pond near Romsey in Hampshire. It was in the grounds of Embley Park School, which is a private school.In the 19th century, Embley Park was the family home of Florence Nightingale.

flightliner

Reaction score
The furthest point inland (according to the historians) that the vikings lead by Erik bloodaxe managed to get in their longboats was when they left the Don close to Rotherham and headed up the river Rother.
Shallow waters stopped further progress at Orgreave, pretty much the same spot where Authur Skargill was arrested during the miners strike.
At that time the river had a coal and chemical plant beside it and it was considered one of the most polluted rivers in europe, now it has double figure Barbel, big chub, Bream, Trout and Greyling in it.
I have fished it several times and tbh its surprisingly good, the Greyling particularly are coming along a treat.
Not too sure how old Erik bloodaxe went on after he landed with his men all those years ago, maybe I'll ask a few of the many red headed folk in the area!

The Sogster

Reaction score
Thanks Flightliner, I stand educated.
Had a ticket with Catcliffe angling for a few years, until covid. As an aside my stepfather helped design Orgreave coking plant whilst working for BSC.

Reaction score
'The Royalty' at Christchurch,the parlour pool(sub species for the picky),Throop,Somerley estate,Blenheim Palace,Arlesey lake,Tring ressies,Eyebrook,Grafham,Rutland,Trent Bridge,Windsor,Woburn park,Kings weir

peterjg

Reaction score
Kings Weir! I had forgotten to mention Kings Weir! I remember when it still had a wooden weir and not just a concrete sill, the weir keeper was a nice bloke, Bill Newton if I remember correctly? That's where I caught my first barbel - about 45+ years ago.

steve2

Reaction score
The usual places Royalty, Throop etc but the place that sticks in my mind more is Wadhurst Lake back in the late 60's. Bumped into a few well known, at the time, anglers on there. Pre boily days and we were all boiling up our small potatoes for bait.
The place I would have liked to fish back then was Redmire Pool, now it's just another expensive carp day ticket water.

Kevin Perkins

Reaction score
Wilstone....real heart breaking water. Just when you thought you had a sniff of a chance of cracking it, the moment slipped away, never to return. And I am so old that I actually have been out in a punt on Wilstone....

flightliner

Reaction score
Thanks Flightliner, I stand educated.
Had a ticket with Catcliffe angling for a few years, until covid. As an aside my stepfather helped design Orgreave coking plant whilst working for BSC.
Sogster, Had the catcliffe ticket myself for a couple of seasons, those Barbel are truly elusive, tried hard but only managed the chub!
Some nice perch tho.
Not a member now but still fish the river a mile or two above the club stretch.
Had some nice chub after dark!
Lots of smaller ones plus trout in some of the streamier runs can make a half day seem like a half hour.
Interesting your grandfather helping in the design of the the plant?, it was really busy in its day, I lived a couple of miles away at one time near Handsworth/Woodhouse.
I used to work with one of the civil engineers who was contracted in developing the ladybower reservoir back in the day.
Incredible project! ?

John Aston

Reaction score
Places whose history made them special for me include -Tring (a weekend at Startops in 1977 ,when big roach were being caught regularly. If not by me). Loch Lomond , 1976 (even bigger and scarier than expected) , Two Lakes in the mid Eighties ( rather bad form to fish too hard. another G' n T my dear chap ? ), Damerham 1975 ( damn near impossibly hard , for my fly fishing debut ) Avington 1978 (fishing with Dave Plummer and my old friend Trevor Moss - DP nearly broke the brook trout record ) , Hants Avon 1981 at Hale (felt like I'd joined the big school- adored it ) . River Test 2008 , Wherwell (scarily expensive, impossibly pretty, fun fishing ) , Grafham 1977 ( an homage to Church, Walker, Cove et al ) . River Tay Dalguise 1979 (Me , on The Mighty Tay , salmon fishing ? Wow . Caught one too , after 5 days with only a sea trout to show for it - 20lbs! Cue drinks all round)

Didn't fish , but while en route to Cadwell Park I had a surreptitious wander around Woldale . That was special, especially after realising that the senior planning officer at work , Maurice Ingham , was THE Maurice Ingham ...

River Bourne - if you have read Harry Plunket Greene you will know why that was special .

But the one which sent a shiver down my spine more than anywhere was standing on the banks of the Mississippi, a few miles from Rosedale.

The bad one

Reaction score
Here’s a few for you, Capesthorne Hall Estate (all waters on the estate) Hawkstone Park, Combermere big mere under the Hall, Hanmer Hall Mere, Ellmesmere Shropshire Cholmondeley Castle, both meres Deer Park and Chapel Mere….home of the once unclaimed Bream Record caught by my good friend Dave Ankers at 13 02. Colemere Shropshire, The Isle lake the home of carp for over 900 years. And that’s without including the river estates, is just a small amount of the Historic estate waters I’ve fished over the last 50 years.
Oh and one for the Internationalists, Lake Baikal Siberia the largest and deepest freshwater lake on earth. Now that is a chuck and a half ;)

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
One of the local clubs has the lake at Old Wardour Castle on its book. I only fished it a few times but the setting is superb with the old ruins of the castle in the background . . . . .

During the Civil War the lady of the castle defended it with just 25 men against siege by 1300 Roundheads . . . . but only for 5 days.

More recently it was used in the Robin Hood Prince of Thieves movie as the home of Robin's father who was hanging there when he returned from the crusades . . . .

It is a lovely setting and that lake had some proper crucians and nice roach and rudd.

th.jpg
Rd48cfa8d4348f2a4a72a664fee216bc2.jpg

If memory serves me it is on the Tisbury AC ticket at £35 per annum for OAP members, or £55 if you are under 65.

Last edited:

Steve King

Reaction score
I too have fished Runnymede, Hampton Court Thames Mole/Ember and The Long Water) plus a few more.

One place I remember was the lake at Broome Hall, in Surrey. The hall was owned by an order of monks called the White Fathers of Africa ( yes, really!! The name does sound a bit patronising nowadays). Anyway, I fished a club match there with the boys’ club and we were slightly amused to see monks wandering around as we were reeling in fish! The lake was stuffed full of silvers and had a good amount of perch too. Some time later the monks sold Broome Hall and the purchaser was none other than Oliver Reed!

Last edited: