Hooking hemp and tares

mikench

Reaction score
I’ve never been successful at catching anything on the above. I cannot say anything in my defence save that I don’t persevere for long and find getting either, particularly hemp, on the hook is fiddly and difficult.

I know that light wide gape hooks are recommended and watching a few YouTube vids putting a tiny bit of pole elastic no 5 on the hook and the hemp on the elastic was given as a tip.That sounds even more difficult and fiddly. Has anyone tried this and is there a convenient substitute elastic such as a bit of bait band I could use as I don’t do pole stuff.

Is there a simpler method to try and is it worth it? I’ve bought some giant hemp( still tiny) to see if I can cope any better.

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
Take a hemp kernel between forefinger and thumb with the split vertical and squeeze gently. It should open up a bit, push the shank of your hook into the gap and it should stay there.
Then there’s the pin method. Take a pin and pierce the husk where it was attached to the plant. Stick your hook through the split and out through the hole you just made. Size 16 for this method.

Keith M

Reaction score
I remember parking my caravan on a camp site next to the river Ouse a few miles west of St. Ives and the Roach and Dace there were going mad for Hemp. I did try caster and maggot but was getting less than half the number of bites that I and the others fishing there were getting on Hemp seed.

I chose to use Stotz instead of shot as it gave me less false bites.

I hooked them in the same manner as Peter described above.

NB: I never had any confidence with using Hemp before that day.

Keith

spenbeck

Reaction score
I've heard (not tried myself), that some match anglers tie white cotton around the hemp via the crack. The hook is then put through the cotton and it will stay on even after catching a few fish. They usually tie up about 30 large pieces the night before the match.

rayner

Reaction score
Where peter crabtree sticks his pin IE the small round piece at the top of the seed well that's the part of the seed that will hold the seed to your hook.
Take a seed that's not showing the kernel, hold the seed between your finger and thumb with your thumbnail on the connecting piece mentioned then squeeze the seed enough to just open the top of the seed, push the shank of the hook into the seed there.
My description may seem a little tricky, in truth, it couldn't be more simple. Doing it in the described way you can make several casts before the seed comes off. Using elastic of making holes shouldn't be needed.
Next time you have hemp try it I'm sure confidence putting hemp on the hook will soon come.

silvers

Reaction score
What Peter crabtree describes ... except when pinning I put the hook point in through the root and out through the split.

mikench

Reaction score
I've heard (not tried myself), that some match anglers tie white cotton around the hemp via the crack. The hook is then put through the cotton and it will stay on even after catching a few fish. They usually tie up about 30 large pieces the night before the match.

With my eyes I can barely see the hemp let alone tie cotton on it. :)

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
Good eyesight helps. I used to use hemp a lot but I can barely see the stuff now. Never really done any good on the tare....I know it can be devastating on its day but that never seems to be the day I'm using it. I've tried artifial hemp without much success...doesn't seem to work like the real stuff.

I dont believe in false bites when hemp fishing. Another myth imo.

mikench

Reaction score
If I blank at Boddington you will all know why. I will have a few other baits in reserve just in case. :)

In my isolation I might as well have a practice so some of my “ giant hemp seeds” are in a flask. I think the term giant is misleading without a micrometer to test the difference in size as they look the same size as normal to me.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
If I blank at Boddington you will all know why. I will have a few other baits in reserve just in case. :)

In my isolation I might as well have a practice so some of my “ giant hemp seeds” are in a flask. I think the term giant is misleading without a micrometer to test the difference in size as they look the same size as normal to me.
I'm thinking of using Spenbecks tip but tying 3 or 4 hemp together to make one giant bait which could be done at home the night before. Should also be easier to place the hook through the white cotton if its a 3 or 4 hemp sized bundle, my eyes are not very good either and I am imagining giant roach taking the giant sized pile of hemp. next time I buy a tin of hemp I might see if this is possible or making it into a string of 3 or 4 hemp. All thinking aloud by the way, as often happens the doing and result is more difficult but I will see.

silvers

Reaction score
another Little tip ... when it’s hard and you’re only getting dips and shakes with a grain of hemp ... just the white kernel on the hook can be a good bait.

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
You can tie a hair rig then superglue seeds onto the hair.

Mike, I wouldn’t rely on hemp as a sole bait at Boddy. Double red maggot does it for me there, waggler an inch over-depth, dragging the bait along the bottom in the tow...

mikench

Reaction score
Thanks Simon. i always take an alternative or 6 so will follow that habit. I'm a bit concerned about choice of float though as my go to Drennan Visiwags may be unsuitable.

Reaction score
Take a black permanent marker Mike,lots of open 'white' water there....I would think 2.5AA-4AA longish insert wagglers fit the bill...

rayner

Reaction score
Plenty of tips there Mike, if you can't find one you can manage with for such a simple task you must be in a worse state than me.
For the record, I can hook hemp with my one hand.

mikench

Reaction score
I agree Gary. I must try harder. :) How you do it one handed is beyond my powers of comprehension.

rayner

Reaction score
You know my limitations Mike, I have to work out various tasks which I need to do to fish alone.
I have a wine bottle cork on a strap that fastens on my thigh, my hook is pushed into the cork I then put the hemp on with my left hand. I also can hook bloodworm by putting a worm on the cork then pierce the bloodworm with the hook.

mikench

Reaction score
Well done Gary you are a source of inspiration and we need that in these difficult times.(y):)