How did you get on?

peterjg

Reaction score
I've been doing ok on the Thames and K&A canal recently but today I had a go on a 13 acre club gravel pit for roach (as usual). I had a cunning plan; I thought that the the carp would not be feeding much and that would give me the chance to catch a roach or two - wrong again! The conditions were great, nice strong sw wind, overcast, lightish rain. Fished two leger rods both with dead maggots, one was a mini heli rig and the other was a running leger. Fishing before light until dusk, only had one bite (helirig) and fluked a 24lb mirror carp. Surprised that the fish were not feeding? Water temperature 50F.

Last edited:

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
Went to the club runs water today, not because I particularly fancied it but because it was forecast so mild it seemed crazy not to go. All week it’s been a toss up between this and Boddingtons and the club water won simply because the weather forecast for tomorrow is so filthy. Not a great start as it took me an hour to clear Guildford due to an rta so I didn’t arrive until well past 1pm. Very busy which I expected and some very glum faces. Not fishing at all despite the temps.

I tried something different ( rig and bait) on one rod. It failed miserably. Usual rig and bait on the other and managed to winkle out 3 fish
11lb ish,13lb and a nice mirror of 19-10. Should have had 1 more but the fish took off so fast my reel over ran and tangled and by the time I’d sorted it out matey boy had dumped the hook.
I think I enjoyed it? Bit of a chore really but I didn’t get wet which will do me

flightliner

Reaction score
Had an interesting trip to South yorkshires river Rother yesterday.
Just a few hours trotting maggot in the slightly swollen swollen water with added colour,
I looked at the bottom end of the reach but cried off has the banks were a little high and awkward so I legged it further up to a swim some 25 yards that ended with the water running over some rocks.
Third swim down and my simple senses blob float was away-- love seeing them go-- a few seconds connected and the fish was gone.
Later by some ten mi utes it went again and I had a fiesty brown trout.
Again in minutes a chub was in my net, a little bigger, a nice fish that gave me grief on its way to the bank with its twisting leaping and plunging.
Several more of the spotted hooligans came my way as did one more chub before the swim went quiet and told me to move on but not before it left one last reminder of a failing my angling had failed to expose, out of the blue, right in front of me a fish rolled, not small but big, one of those we see on occasions when we have to rewind things to ascertain we really had actually witnessed what we thought we had-- there was no doubt tho, it was a big silver tail, square ended in the air for a split second before disappearing - - a salmon, possibly a sea Trout, and in a river where back in the time of the miners strike falling in would mean a trip to the A and E.
If this continues rivers like the Don, Dearne and Rother will be top class rivers unless pollution rears its ugly head.

Attachments

• IMG_20201030_123739.jpg
    IMG_20201030_123739.jpg
    6.9 MB · Views: 122

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
Another windy and wet day for me today down the M3 to a day ticket water on the Hampshire border with Berkshire. A club fixture.
Last time here I fished for roach on the short pole, had 20lb. Today I decided to try again. Fishing at 8m with single maggot a foot off the bottom, I had 6 hours of non stop bites.

E56F133A-3BC4-4570-9F31-51F5686F6063.jpeg

Carp were being caught elsewhere but I resisted the temptation to set up a tip rod. I persisted with the roach but they were mainly small fish. Biggest probably 4 oz. Weighed in 13:0:0 which put me around 10th overall.

F71A74DF-E9E0-426B-BB06-D80C3DB00167.jpeg

20 fished.

john step

Reaction score
Did you manage to dry you gear from yesterday or was it a case of s*d it I'll use it wet.

peterjg

Reaction score
Windy, thanks for your post but it was a fluke really. It was on two maggots and a size 18 hook to a 4 inch hook length of 3lb line but there were no snags or weed. I used Darent Valley 3/4tc rods which are lovely and soft. It made up for some of the blanks! I'm off to blank on the river Loddon now .......

john step

Reaction score
Apart from the seat box, I took a different set of gear. Wellie liners needed drying out though from 2 proper boot fulls during my umbrella rescue mission.
Yes I wasn't quick enough to get a photo of your attempt at boating on Boddington!

bullet

Reaction score
Been up on the Wye for a couple of days, bit of a break with SWMBO, so not full on fishing.
Weather hasn't been great, but got out for a few hours this morning to a swim just down the road.
Bit Autumnal....

IMG_20201102_115922210.jpg

Opted for a largish lump of meat on a straight lead just down the side, this soon produced a decent Chub...

IMG_20201102_105656285.jpg

Fished on for a while, but that was it, back to the warmth of the cottage!

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
During the week of wind and rain I made four trips to the estate for short sessions of an hour or less armed with no more than a lure rod, net and bag. all blank visits with two fish hooked and lost.

With the looming prospect of a total ban on angling I made another trip today with the usual kit. First cast and a few taps......interesting, cast into the same spot and nothing....that was until i was about to lift the lure clear of the water when a perch made an almighty lunge for the lure, clutch screamed, this was a goodun, landed a few moments later and a personal best on lures of 2lb 6ozs.

Another followed moments later, a few ozs lighter.

over the next twenty minutes I hooked a further three but only landed one, all a lot smaller.

Changed the shad for a crayfish type of lure, comicly named by Korum as a Reggie. A weedless setup so was surprised to get snagged, after a few seconds the snag was moving and an even greater surprise when the fish launched out of the water like an exocet missile. An eel on a lure?? an unwanted pb too at just under 3lb.

and that was it, a frantic 45 minutes when the preds switched on. Makes me wonder why after four blanks I should suddenly get this kind of action, plummeting temperature, rise in air pressure? who knows.

I had the lake to myself and no visitors in the grounds, peaceful, well not quite, the crows were making a helluva racket.

The estate is at its most stunning this time of year.

The estate closes on December 1st, fingers crossed i get to fish it a few time more.

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
With the uncertainty of whether we can legitimately fish tomorrow it was a case of needs must today.

I had half a pint of month old maggots in the fridge so headed to the river for a couple of hours trotting a float. The clubs trout section at Fordwich is available to coarse anglers from November 1st, had the section all to myself last season and had a few fun sessions through the winter months.

Todays weather was glorious, blue sky, no wind and a very pleasant ten degrees, infact the sun was really hot on my back. Couldn't muster a bite in the first hour, I changed the presentation of the maggot, hooking it through the middle which brought instant success in the form of a small dace, it was still hard going with just a few more dace, a small roach and chublet before i'd run out of bait.

Hope that isn't it before December.

tommos16

Reaction score
After spending a week or so chasing Pike on the canal, without so much as a sniff, I caved and went back to Dropshotting worms and was rewarded with a good 20+ of tiny Perch (always impressed me they can take a size 4 hook!).

I was just fishing for a bite today.

I have some Lamprey in the freezer awaiting a session on Lymm Dam Friday, I'm curious, has anyone has any success on Lamprey? It's been cleaning up on my local cut lately, with Pike to over 22lb being landed on it

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
What is the green reel in your picture s63? I haven’t seen one of those before

Keith

It's a Ryobi Techno Match CF100. For me better than my Abu and Daiwa CF reels. Originally recommended by Kev, they're not easy to come by.

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
I went today simply because it might have been my last chance for 4 weeks. Frost overnight and bright sun all day killed the runs lake stone dead....nobody I spoke to had had a touch, I saw no fish caught or indeed roll. On a normal day dusk is usually worth a fish or two so I thought I'd stay for that just in case a mugfish turned up. Both baits in the margins to see if anything was creeping up the edge looking to scoff any discarded bait.

At 1730 the rh rod roared off....mugfish on....but I was so startled I kicked the other rod over,fell off me chair and dropped me tea. What a numpty. Suffice to say by the time I had a semblance of control over muggy he'd kited left into a small bay and wrapped me round a tree. I spent 20 minutes trying to coax him out but eventually the line gave. I packed up and spent a delightful 2 hours getting home thanks to an rta on the A3

On balance....wish I hadn't bothered.

Last edited:

sam vimes

Reaction score
I went for some fresh bait this morning. Living in hope that we'll be OK to fish in the coming weeks. With the river being well up, I had no intention of fishing. However, it was such a nice day that I thought I may as well go for a glorified walk along the river. It didn't take me too long to know that I was wasting my time actually trying to fish. However, despite not getting a single bite, I still managed not to blank. I netted a tiny perch from a puddle in the track along the river.

The bait I had with me was the remnants of my old bait and it needed getting rid of. However, rather than shot it into a flooded river, I thought I may as well get rid of it in the syndicate lake. Two reprobates were on there cramming a session in just in case we really are locked down. A good long walk and some bait disposed of. Had a decent chat with both anglers. When I'd arrived it was about 14 degrees in the sun. By the time I left in the dark, it was 3 degrees. As yet, I've still not thawed out properly.

peterjg

Reaction score
Monday: fished the river Loddon. Had loads of taps from tiddlers all day, caught two roach, one perch and lost one when a pike grabbed it. The water temperature was a surprising 56F!

Yesterday: fished the river Kennet. Caught one roach, a brown trout, a gudgeon and a zillion minnows. The river was hammering through, fished 3 different slacks and creases but each were full of minnows. Couldn't get a proper bite on flake. Water temperature 46F. Disappointed with yesterday, expected a better result.

Tomorrow? I need a cunning plan!