How did you get on?

bezzer

Reaction score
Fourth time out on my local Tench reservoir and still no sign of a Tench. Chatting to a few guys yesterday it appears they're just not feeding. Is the water still too cold? Is this mixed weather putting them off? I've never known it to be so slow at this time of year. Thankfully worm and maggot saved the blank as I managed a couple of dozen Perch.

Perch.jpg

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
With no rain forecast I spent another morning on the town pit to see if I could catch my first tench of the year. For a change I float fished maggot over gb about 5 rod lengths out. The water is still gin clear and a bit cold so the ensuing blank was not surprising.
With 40mph winds forecast for lunchtime I beat a hasty retreat around 12:30.

jon atkinson

Reaction score
Back on the Leeds-Liverpool at the Saracen's Head at Halsall yesterday in glorious sunshine [what a difference a day makes!], although it was windier than I was expecting. One of these days I'll put a tip rod out but yesterday it was my usual wag & mag approach. Fished the same peg as on my previous visit to this stretch but today it was Perch that dominated proceedings.
21 05 19 peg.jpg

No idea how many I had, but double red maggot did result in half a dozen 'netters'. I had several Roach including one that looked to have had a 'not so lucky' escape from the black death, although it swam away strongly enough. 1 tiny Skimmer / Blade, a couple of hybrids and my 3rd (& smallest) Ruffe of the campaign. Accompanying soundtrack was a delightful cocophony of Lapwings, Chif Chafs and Blackbirds occasionally interupted by squabbling Coots & Mallards (very touchy parents!).

A guy I was talking to as I packed up told me that a 14lb Sturgeon came out just the other (Wigan AA) side of the bridge a few weeks ago!

Attachments

• 21 05 19 injured Roach.jpg
    21 05 19 injured Roach.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 62
  • 21 05 19 Ruffe.jpg
    21 05 19 Ruffe.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 66
  • 21 05 19 PerchII.jpg
    21 05 19 PerchII.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 71

Reaction score
Been today,on the lake ive never caught from,today I had three bites,missing two,but landing one,this 7lb 8drm tinca....I would have had a hands on picture but a carp angler refused to take one when I asked...
20210520_102920.jpg

Last edited:

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
Been today,on the lake ive never caught from,today I had three bites,missing two,but landing one,this 7lb 8drm tinca....I would have had a hands on picture but a carp angler refused to take one when I asked...View attachment 15029

What a git, on the other hand to take the photograph would he have to have had to have reeled his gear in before leaving the vicinity of his swim without breaking the rules?

I had a great catch of river carp and I asked the guy in the next swim to take some photo’s and he cut my head off in every one, I know why some people would consider that to be the best way to improve them, but I was gutted when I got them back from boots. Nowadays I have a screw in rod rest with a threaded adaptor which I bought from eBay. Digital cameras and smart phones make it far easier of course. Last year I bought a clamp type thing that I can fix to the rod rest adaptor and clamp my iPhone to. iPhones are now so good that you can easily get excellent photos and for fishy pics you don’t always need a dedicated camera. Nice fish by the way.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reaction score
I have one Ray,but I find that with the amount of tackle I lug around it's even more unnecessary weight(99% of the time),I would normally set my phone on a timer and get something reasonable but the swim was a bit iffy for it...
Also,this picture again didn't do the fish justice,i've had a few sevens,this one looked super impressive,monstrous in fact,it fought immensely hard too,reaching a sunken tree some fifteen yards from where I hooked it,even though I was giving it hell...respect to the tinca....

As for the carp angler,then wind your lines in then,i've never refused to assist another angler in any way,if the a-hole would have had a forty he would have expected others to do the business for him,sorry,but it isn't acceptable to me...

Last edited:

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
Lovely tench; one day I'll catch a 7-pounder.... I must admit that years ago I had carp anglers take a picture for me using their camera and in both cases they sent on the print when the film was developed, both excellent shots and much appreciated.

The last week or two I've been waggler fishing on a local pond to make videos; enjoyable fishing and you should have seen the one that got away....

Waggler Fishing Part 4

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
Thanks Mike, it is good to be back out on a regular basis. I'm told that the place for Ruffe is the Lancaster canal - bit of a hike from either of our locations mind you.
Try the Macc canal around congleton for ruffe, also the swarm of motherless minnows that inhabit some stretches.
There are a couple of day ticket stretches near the WAA stretches.

Reaction score
I'm certainly not labelling all carp anglers,but that particular one was being selfish,last year a thirty five year old came up to me and asked if I could weigh a barbel for him and take a picture for him,as he had only had two barbel,ever,from memory I believe it was six pound,it interupted my fishing big style but of course I did it because I remember my first barbel and the excitement it gave,some people are very selfish and that is all I can say..

sam vimes

Reaction score
I'm certainly not labelling all carp anglers,but that particular one was being selfish,

Playing the Devil's advocate, I can only assume that the particular carper may well believe that you were being equally selfish in expecting him to reel in and take his photo.

Reaction score
Lol Chris,yes,probably,but that same angler would expect others to run/drive to take a picture of a carp of interest,there just isn't enough thoughtfulness to be bothered to help someone,a little sad really,because the water in question has had history of bad practice by this type of angler in the past....far worse than not taking a photo...

theartist

Reaction score
Nice fish Alan me thinks you were in the swim I had an 8,6 in last year, they grow much bigger than that too. Best not label all the carpers badly, I've found most to be a decent bunch there.

If anyone has doubts about self timer shots they shouldn't as they are so easy to take and are actually quicker and usually safer than getting someone else to do them, they are also safer than doing a pic of the fish on the grass plus the fish will not touch anymore surfaces than it already has. Once you've done it a few times its second nature, all you need is a camera with a custom self timer(they cost less than a tenner now 2nd hand)and a flat surface, your seat is always a constant in that respect. I can take five self timed shots of a fish quicker than I can weigh one now and would rather self take than rely on a stranger or companion, I learned the hard way with dad who would chop the head off every time :)

Reaction score
No,I have no doubts and have taken a few,but it was awkward and I just wanted the fish back in the water....and as I said I don't label them with the same brush,but this guy was selfish,simples,he had been there all night and looked to be staying another,a couple of minutes wouldn't have hurt...

john step

Reaction score
After Whittys tench my catch today seems a trifle small but I am well pleased with one at 4lb 6ozs from my rock hard brickpit today.
No photo due to the gales and pouring rain...all blooming day!
I also had 8 skimmers and roach and perch. A nice day in the end where 4lb would see you frame in a club match. All from a birdcage swim tucked under a cliff out of harms way.
Gear drying in garage.:)

Reaction score
After Whittys tench my catch today seems a trifle small but I am well pleased with one at 4lb 6ozs from my rock hard brickpit today.
No photo due to the gales and pouring rain...all blooming day!
I also had 8 skimmers and roach and perch. A nice day in the end where 4lb would see you frame in a club match. All from a birdcage swim tucked under a cliff out of harms way.
Gear drying in garage.:)

Mate,i'm well pleased with a three pounder(in fact any tench is satisfying to me)the water I fished is hard,very hard....