How did you get on?

David Rogers 3

Reaction score
One from a local estate lake the other evening (on floatfished lob).

Attachments

• P1010029.JPG
    P1010029.JPG
    6.8 MB · Views: 76

Reaction score
Been today on the crucian lake,had ten,three around a pound and a half,a koi around 5lbs,two mirrors 3&4lbs,two small tincas,five skimmers,three roach,a rudd and two fat gudgeon. Birdlife,a family of moorhens,two adults and eleven balls of black fluff,which were a nightmare,pecking my float,trying to climb onto my rod top,pulling my shoelaces,I had a jay come to take bread,some ten feet away,my mate the robin who finds me wherever I fish on the lake,I had to wait to net my first tench to allow him to dip into my bait box :) ,three herons chasing each other around,from swim to swim,grey wagtails,various species of t its,red kites,crows,magpies....

The Runner

Reaction score
Tried a new mark today, Loch Dunvegan at Corlarach which I had a recce of a couple of weeks ago and liked the looks of.
Two mile walk up the single track road towards the Coral Beaches from Dunvegan Castle and then a 400 yard swamp and heather hop across to the shoreline. Started about an hour after low tide, mackerel strip on a 2/0 at about 60 yards into a good depth of water but soon found that there was an evil ledge at about 40 yards which ate a couple of rigs on the retrieve. Decided that chance of getting a decent fish back over it wasn't too good so moved around 50 yards onto a higher section of the low cliffs that make up the shoreline. Went a bit further out, 80 yards or so and found no sign of a ledge, water even deeper here, estimated it as at least 50 ft so a lot more confident of landing anything I hooked.
However, never hooked anything to find out if my confidence was justified. Gave it to just after high water without an indication of any sort. Checked/changed bait every fifteen to twenty minutes as usual and flesh of the mackerel strip completely untouched every time so not even any crabs about. Set up spinning rod as about 25 to 30 ft of water straight down the side but nothing on this either- lack of kelp or any discernible tide run probably means not great for pollack, also tried an ounce bomb down the side with mackerel strip on a 4- nothing again.
Will try the place again for certain though, possibly on the ebb next time ; know a couple of places up here where the flood runs hardest up one side of the loch and the ebb down the other.
Wish these Northerly winds would stop for a few days so I can get back on the North End pollack marks.

So in the absence of fish, here's some more scenery.

Looking back down the loch, MacLeod's Table distant left...
Corlarach 22 5 1.jpeg

And outwards with the Western Isles on the horizon
Corlarach 22 5 3.jpeg

Not a great day for wildlife either. Pair of Oystercatchers obviously with a nest or young close by harassing any gull or crow that came within a hundred yards, plenty of Skylarks on the heathery ground behind me and a few Eider in the sheltered bays back towards Dunvegan
Corlarach 22 5 4.jpeg

jon atkinson

Reaction score
Having looked at the forecast for today I blagged an early (by my standards) start and was on the bank at the Bream pond by just after 08:00. Started on bread punch on the waggler alongside some lillies at about 6' depth. A weird session in so far as I really wasn't 'on it' today, plus my phone decided to lock me out so no pics! Caught several skimmer and a couple of decent Crucian & some smaller Roach & Rudd, then my 2.25 hooklength was smashed by something that was gone in a second
?
. Switching to double maggot & upping to 3lb brought a succession of small but wonderfully vivid Perch and a small chub, then something more substantial took me into the lillies and was gone. With the wind getting up and my rig trashed it seemed an appropriate time to call it a day... I'm sure that I'll have better days!

nottskev

Reaction score
Right up until 2.30pm, when I went fishing, it was a typical day in (this) late May - chilly, overcast, drizzly, a little breezy. When I stepped out of the car half an hour later at the woodland pond, the trees were heaving and the water was being flattened then ruffled by gusts of wind and rain from all directions. I'd tied up some pole rigs specifically - a chore I hate, though I love pole fishing - but that was out the window and out came the little home-made wand and the little umbrella I bought a couple of weeks ago. The water level - these ponds are fed by streams that will become a river with a name just downstream -was up 4 or 5 inches

wd.jpg

I set about it in the usual way. A few casts to put some bait in with a small feeder, then start fishing with a smaller one. Half an hour passes without a bite. Then an hour. And an hour and a half. Meanwhile the wind and rain are making me wonder what I'm doing here when I could be home watching football and drinking beer. Who on earth would buy a ticket to fish this place anyway? At 5pm the tip finally moves and something runs some line off and kites off to my right where the bank is all trees and reeds. Oh well. At least I got my rig back intact, and it's pretty obvious who this scale belongs to,

wd1.jpg

This is not looking good. I put on a lighter hooklength and smaller hook, take the line out of the clip and add a yard. That made a difference, and I get a bite immediately

wd7.jpg

It's cold, wet and windy, but I think it's worth trying to catch another, having sat for 2 hours without a bite, 5 minutes later a slightly bigger one comes along

Wd3.jpg

By now, everything, including me and my groundbait is pretty soggy, but 2 fish are not much to show for all this effort, so I have a few more casts and 3 more decent-sized bream are enough to let me call it a day.

wd4.jpg

john step

Reaction score
Strange day. Up on the Wolds in warm sun and blanking all morning. I just could not buy a bite.
The sky darkened and the hail storm of all hail storms descended for about 15 minutes. The noise on the brolly was deafening. The surface was a cauldron and the banks were white. There were hailstones floating in the water.

Thats it I thought. No chance of a bite now. Then the tip went round for the first of 6 times giving up 6 commons.
There are no rules in fishing.

John Aston

Reaction score
Hopes of tench on hold thanks to the coldest , wettest May on record. River trout on hold too- river up , brown and unfishable -yet again. The weather seems more easily to get stuck on one tune these days . The only show in town was still water fly fishing - again - but I had a lovely three hours between the deluges.

I managed seven rainbow trout, with two lost and -ahem - four missed . In mitigation, hitting takes can be hard when nymph fishing, where the fly is allowed just to drift slowly in the wind from L-R , or R-L , as today. Takes can be savage , and felt as well as seen , but today's were just gentle draws on the leader . In tricky light, with the greased up butt (steady... ) of the 18' leader 20 odd yards away , it's easy to miss the tell tale sign of a fish inhaling the fly .

Cold water meant hard fights , even on the fairly beefy gear(by my standards ) I used today - 9' 6" Airflo Delta Classic #6/7 weight .

Here's the best fish , possibly an over wintered one. Now in my freezer with the two bigger fish already there , and to be smoked by our local fish merchant. I catch a lot of trout a year , typically 3- 400 -ish wild browns and about 50 rainbows ,but I kill very few. As an all rounder, it can feel slightly odd knocking a fish on the head and then weighing it with the hook of the scales through a gill cover. Better not try that when I am back on the lift method .. Anyway, this fish went 3-15 and was caught with a cuckoo calling from the woods .
arden rbow.JPG

Reaction score
This morning I went fishing,but today must be clumsy idiot day as when I was moving my gear into the back door area I managed to put my bare foot through the string handle of my wife's shopping bag,as I felt I was tripping I rushed my right foot down and stubbed my big toe,which is now black and very sore....doh,upon arrival at the tench water I walked down to see which direction the wind was(forecast said NW),it was SW,I lugged my gear right down to the SW corner,but anglers pushed me to return,as I pushed my barrow the wheel plugged in the mud,rearing my end of the trolley,leaving me flying over the top,grazing both thighs and covering me in muck,I walked back to the car,then decided to walk round the other way and found a swim that was favourable,I then moved my car to the other nearer car park,set up,baited up with a pole cup and started fishing,then the wind turned,into the NW,ffs,after an hour I started getting indication,then the float sailed away and I missed it,next cast,within a minute it happened again with the same result,grrr,I never had a touch for forty munutes then the same sort of bite,with me waiting till the float was six inches down and still going before striking,fish on,now I had a 1.25lb tc rod,8lb reel line,with drag set pretty tight,the fish set off to my right with me giving line grudgingly,then the bugger came off,leaving me with a three inch lump of silky weed over the hook,now it was either a carp or a tench,but it wasn't mid-doubles so I take it I lost another good tench,I settled in to await further events when the heavens opened and left me making a hasty retreat....

seth49

Reaction score
Back on usual pond today, mick and I had it all too ourselves, not surprising really as there was a cold wind blowing and showers forecast for later, so back in my favourite corner swim, and set my Korum brolly up in wind break mode, it’s handy is that, it keeps the wind off, and still covers me from rain.
Good
So usual margin rod in as a sleeper baited with a mussel, no alarm just the pins ratchet to warn me of a bite, and my Korum power float rod, with pin and pole rig, I used mainly 6mm Sonu expanders, which I’d added some goo monster crab flavour to after they had expanded, first time I’d tried this and it worked, coloured them red and gave them plenty of flavour.

It seemed to work, I’d three carp on these, plus three tench and I lost a couple of tench plus a barbel as well, will try this again and perhaps a few more flavours, also had two carp on the sleeper rod as well, so a good day even though it was cold, did get a few showers but not too bad.

There were a lot of young starlings about, and after a while the noise they were making started to get a bit annoying, till a female sparrow hawk took one, that made them move, so back to peace and quiet then, just the curlews calling and the lapwings as well, back on Thursday it’s supposed to be 17 degrees and a light southerly breeze, be nice if it is.
103AAC65-5F0A-4BFC-82B7-DCD24093ACED.jpeg
1DC08EEA-0239-4596-9CB0-A5B28C10C7A6.jpeg
89BDED93-6D44-4C7E-A843-3EBB2AA460C8.jpeg

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
15 codgers fished yesterday at Tring on the GUC. A much nicer, drier and sunny day than of late…
Despite the improvement in conditions some struggled while others bagged up.
I fished waggler with worm sections over gb and chopped worm and although slow going I caught a steady stream of small skimmers, roach, perch and gudgeon.
0D52E899-8D63-4B7A-B6D0-6BBEFE565164.jpeg

Meanwhile my mate Steve on end peg was sitting on a shoal of bream and was absolutely smashing it on waggler and pinkie. He went on to win convincingly with 33:8:0.
I came 4th with 2:10:0
81E82703-CFAD-4F0A-85D5-224ED260839A.jpeg

Reaction score
Went today,on the crucian lake and guess what,no crucians,it was cold until mid-afternoon,had seven carp between 4 & 9lbs(on 0.10mm hooklengths and 20 hooks),one small tench,nine skimmers from 6ozs to a pound,my friend the robin came many times,landing six inches from my hand on my bait box,nodding at me,before stooping to pick up a 6mm pellet,I will be glad to get on my 'new' club waters for a change of tack,I used to be a long term member years ago...

john step

Reaction score
Simon that looks a lovely stretch of canal.
I see you say a drier day today. Not so up here. The fool of a weatherman said fine to start and rain later. It was exactly the opposite. I t teemed all day and cleared at packing up time. UGH.

I wasnt going to post on HDYGO today as its all Groundhog Day . More carp on the method, this time at the deep res. I must say I find the hybrid method this time of year exciting the way the tip goes round and tussle ensues. 6 Today again. Mr Sonu Bait makes chocolate and orange pellets that smell good enough to eat!!!

mikench

Reaction score
I ummed and arrred for an hour this morning but as the forecast said little wind, wall to wall sunshine and temperatures nudging 20c I set out to my local and favourite ( just about) venue.
IMG_0015.JPG

There were already 10 anglers there and all my favourite pegs were taken so I set up in one adjoining a familiar peg. I doubt any of them are any different. I set up a feeder rod first with an open ended cage feeder free running to a bead with a 12" hooklength and tried corn , maggot and meat. I had around 10 skimmers to 2lb on this. I reverted to the float and had a similar number of fish comprising skimmers Rudd and roach but none to write home about. It was cloudy, breezy and felt chilly at times dressed as I was in shorts and crocs.

However the highlight of the day was seeing Tigger who arrived as I was about to pack up. 2 hours later I managed it and arrived home an hour later than promised. It was good to see Ian again and to have a good chat about all kinds of stuff. He's fine and sends his regards. All in all an enjoyable day and I'm glad I went.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
I had the choice of 3 venues to go to today.
Lodge Farm... good sport on there from silvers if the bigger stuff dont play ball.
Milton Pools,.....Never fished but a friend did last week and said it's good.
Newlands...... club water and fished regularly.
The traffic reports around Oxford decided it for me...Newlands it was, .So into carryall went my feeder box,and pellet wagglers, swapped holdalls from match one to general fishing one and was ready for the off.
Got there and the place was fairly full, but not much doing, lots of carp cruising around on the surface and a few crashing out of the water as if cleaning themselves from spawning.
Got to a peg, set up the pellet waggler this was a 2g Guru one, with a 2g Guru pellet waggler weight attached, I put a snap link on the float and after threading a gripper stop on the line on went the float followed by another gripper stop.the mainline was 5lb Maxima down to 6lb Guru n gauge and a 14 xs banded hook.Rod was Garbolino Maxim, reel was Shimano Nasci 4000.
Also set up 3 top kits for margin pole, usual 4 x 12 float 0.16 line to 16 hour xs hook.The floats were the same for both margins and a 6metre line,
Primed the margins with some brown liquidized bread and red and yellow maggots, red went to the left yellow to the right and at 6metres.
Started off on the pellet waggler, even though the carp were on top there is a minimum 18" from fat to hook rule on here and no floating baits.
Fired a few 8mm pellets out and cast out with a chocolate orange wafter as slow sinking bait, after 20 minutes of feeding and casting and nothing doing I tried the wag n mag approach, again nothing doing,
I catapulted some maggots in at the cruising carp before I started wag n mag.and they just turned away.
I thought if I do it often enough I may get a reaction, Again nothing.
So it was the margins and 6 metre line, Result ... in the margin on double yellow maggot.... 3oz roach. I wouldn't mind the bloody float shot under, i lifted into the bite and lifted the fish out of the water, it didn't put much of a fight up on 16 elastic.
That was my only fish of the day , and to make matters worse i used the wrong coffee in my flask, it tasted awful, not bad when make single cup but over a pint it tasted funny.
The highlight of the day was a pair of coots in the grass behind me feeding their 3 small chicks,
There is a match on Newlands on Sunday, so i was practising for it as were a few others. I am in two minds whether to go.
I have a match at warrington on Saturday, and at the moment a 2 and half hours or so drive after leaving ear at 5am,£40 petrol and £10 entry fee seems to better option going on today's performance. Asking around i think one fish was caught the 6 hours i was there.

sam vimes

Reaction score
I have never understood the rule prohibiting floater fishing. Why is hooking a carp or any fish on the deck, a foot above or a foot below different to catching on the surface?
It's not. However, numpties chucking loads of floating bait in can ruin everyone else's day if they aren't careful. Numpties also run the risk of terrorizing the local wildfowl. They are two of the better reasons I've heard for banning floater fishing.

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
I wasn't sure I really fancied it today but having got up early it seemed rather silly not to...so off to Bury Hill for another go at the crucian. I was a bit concerned on arrival to hear " they're getting a few roach" on my favourite lake.....I do not get up at silly o'clock and brave the M25 for " a few roach".

Picked the only spot on the lake that wasn't covered in willow fluff but within an hour or so it was covered. In that hour I'd had a couple of tench around 3-3.5lb and all the signs were that it was going to be a challenging day. In the next couple of hours I had a few tentative bites, lost a fish and managed to land 3 nice crucian.....then it went a bit funny before a mob of skimmers moved in. I had 5 or 6 before the swim just died on me. I wasn't sorry that the skimmers seemed to have hoyed off but it seemed that everything else had too. I scratched around with maggot but all that produced was little perch....all the proper fish came to 4mm expander but between about 11 am and 1-30pm I didn't have a proper bite or a proper fish. The willow fluff was now driving me mad and as it clearly wasn't fishing I thought I'd give it best at 2pm. Just as I was about to pack up I hooked a crucian and promptly lost it ! That kept me there for another 45 mins until I connected with another proper bite and in came another bloody skimmer.Time to go.

I am at a loss to understand why it fished so badly. The fluff might affect anglers but it surely cannot affect the fish ? When I left it was warm and overcast with very little wind and a bit of colour in the water. Ought to have fished its head off imo.

Last edited:

Pete Shears

Reaction score
A trip to the local reservoir this morning,clear blue sky,a bit of mist and 4C.Soon warmed up set a float with sweetcorn and when it didn't foul the weed which has gone into a growth overdrive I managed to get some small but pristine roach and one skimmer but nothing but iners on the method feeder rod until a proper run had a fish weed itself 40 yds out and eventually fall off.
Good to be out and down to a T-shirt instead of multiple layers, saw a strange bright light in the sky . . . . . .

nottskev

Reaction score
I don't usually go fishing two days running. But I decided yesterday didn't count. I went out to try the new club's popular pool which everyone seems to head for. I trolleyed the gear down a loose cinder track (might as well have dragged it on a sled or rolled it on logs) set up in one of the well-worn pegs, plumbed up here and there with float and tip, gave it a good go on both, listened to the conversations of blokes round the pool, had one bite and caught this ( the only fish I saw caught)

Cbu1.jpg

I don't think I'll be going there very often. Today I went to the old canal, where you can usually get more than one bite. The lilies have come up since I last went, and it was looking pretty in the sunshine and I shared a 12 peg section with one other angler.

Cbu2.jpg

There seems to be plenty of ide and perch that come up to feed, and I caught a couple of bream last time, so I set up a couple of rigs, one with a little dibber set at 2' and one to fish on the bottom, around 4'6" down.

Cbu4.jpg

I fed maggots for the ide etc about 10m in front of me, and down to my left I cupped in some groundbait with casters and dead maggots, pretty stiff by canal standards, but anything that sinks slowly gets snaffled by the small fish. It's great to get lots of bites from the ide, perch and roach (especially if you got soaked for one bite the day before), and I persisted with this for a bit, as there are some good chub and I hoped one might get involved. But that didn't happen.

When I tried over the groundbait with double caster, nothing happened. I caught a few more ide, and tried again, but no bites. I've been carrying a small tin of corn around for ages - it has clocked up some miles - so I opened that and put a piece on the hook. After all I did get smashed twice here by carp. Within a minute the float buried and out came a fish I don't see often, an F1

Cbu3.jpg

I understand these are a commercial staple, but I was happy enough - they stretch your elastic a bit on canal gear. I potted in some more corn, and caught a few more. After 9 or 10, I finally caught a bream. But I told it, you should have come earlier. These little carp have eaten it all. The sun shone, I had a bite every put in, and came home with dry clothes. What more could you ask for?

Cbu5.jpg