How did you get on?

Roger Johnson 2

Reaction score
Bad day on Tuesday. Fished the river for two hours and took 5 decent trout but only three hand sized grayling. Home by 11.30. Unlike me it was two hours before I unloaded my gear from the car only to find I'd left my holdall in the laybye where I had parked. Had a trip back but it had gone. So goodbye to a much cherished Mel Storey feeder rod, a recently purchased 15ft Drennen acolyte plus and the usual bits and pieces. What a right prat. Pete.

Ouch! Times like these we need a few more emotions than “like”

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
Bad day on Tuesday. Fished the river for two hours and took 5 decent trout but only three hand sized grayling. Home by 11.30. Unlike me it was two hours before I unloaded my gear from the car only to find I'd left my holdall in the laybye where I had parked. Had a trip back but it had gone. So goodbye to a much cherished Mel Storey feeder rod, a recently purchased 15ft Drennen acolyte plus and the usual bits and pieces. What a right prat. Pete.

Commiserations, but can you not claim on your home insurance? I had an accident at home a few months ago and it wasn’t until someone on here mentioned it that I remembered I could claim for it. I had a disaster a few years before that when my barrow tipped up going up a reservoir embankment. I smashed four quality rods and some other stuff and they paid me out for everything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Keith M

Reaction score
Did you have your gear insured Pete?

I don’t think that all home insurance firms include fishing equipment on their standard policies; as I had to pay an additional amount to include it on mine a few years ago.
I accidentally broke two of my rods a few years after I insured my tackle so I’m glad I did get it insured.

Keith

Last edited:

peterjg

Reaction score
Bracket, sorry about the tackle.

Typical roach behaviour: fished the Kennet yesterday. Started trotting dead maggots in a nice steady swim about 7ft deep, no bites. Moved downstream, upstream legered dead maggots and downstream legered bread flake, again no bites (apart from 4 blasted crayfish). At dusk started to pack up and as I was reeling in the downstream rod had a cracking bite on the upstream rod which I missed! Typical! Water temperature 42F.

mikench

Reaction score
Sorry to read that Pete. Its a long shot but have you contacted your local cop shop just in case it has been handed in? If you were on a club water ask the club to post details on their website. Try social media if you do it and look for adverts of your gear there and on ebay.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reaction score
What a bummer Pete,I went out yesterday morning(after deciding not to bother),left home at 9.30am,I was driving towards Luton town centre where I approached a T-junction,a transit was ahead of me and a black lad was waiting to cross the road,so I left a gap and waived him over(aka highway code,lol),as he got past the front of the car I pulled forward to the rear of the transit,he came back opened my passenger door and started giving me earache,I asked him what his problem was(in exactly that way) and he started to put his head in my motor I eased away leaving him standing in the middle of the road yelling,I stopped some 20 yards down the road to shut the door,but an Asian lad shut as he had seen it kicking off,I looked back and the guy was coming for round two,so I thanked the young guy and shot off,phew,anyway,I arrived at the carpark at the river at 10am,two three cars in the car park,I was stunned,as I had loaded the barrow and was putting my boots on a robin hopped round theback of the car,hopped on top of the barrow,stood up proud on my memory foam pillow and burst into song,amazing...anyway up the river,got a swim I was happy with,set up a stick float and started feeding,the river was very low and crystal clear,and very little was seen,I caught 5 minnnows,missed several more bites of the little sods,then nothing,no fish were moving on the bait,well not until around 3pm,then I spotted a decent chub on the maggot close in,I caught 5 before packing between around 2lb 8ozs and 4lb 8ozs,plus another one about 10ozs...
Bird life was interesting,in the morning after I had set up I looked through the trees into the field opposite and had to rub my eyes,it looked as though the field was moving,upon focusing a bit it turned out to be a flock of around a hundred or so redwings hopping in all directions quartering said field,then later on I heard a faint tapping in the small tree opposite,I scanned the branches and spotted him,a greater spotted woodpecker,so I grabbed two bait boxes and tapped a message to him,his response was immediate,he hovered off the branch for a second,landed and gave said branch a good hiding telling me(another male woodpecker in his eyes to clear off lol,then in one of my long periods of contemplation during the day(catching nothing)something made me turn to the right and on a post about 2ft was a wren,bobbing like a dipper,so when he went onto the dead reeds I killed several maggots and put them on the post,I has a friend,he emptied that post several times whilst doing a dance for me,and people ask why we go fishing???

To add,on arrival back at the gate to to the car park I found somebodys furry strap on hat that had obviously dropped out of their fishing gear,so handed it to a bailiff....

Last edited:

bracket

Reaction score
Thanks for all your commiserations. No my gear is not insured. It's not the financial loss that is the issue, I have already replaced the Acolyte, but the Mel Storey rod was an old friend and irreplaceable. What has really annoyed me is the fact I did such a stupid thing. Pete.

john step

Reaction score
Whitty. No excuse for it but I wonder if the van had one of those beeping/shrill warning sensors that activate if another car comes close. My Skoda has one and before I realised what it was I thought WW3 had started!
It wont let up until the space is regained.

nottskev

Reaction score

What a bugger. Do report it, Pete. It seemed futile when I reported my holdall, complete with new Tricast pole, missing after I'd left it in the back entry of my Coronation St type terrace in Salford when I was putting my motorbike in the yard, gone in and forgotten about it. Two days later, the police phoned and told me that a local woman had phoned them when her youngster had brought the holdall home. It's just got some tubes or summat in it, love, she told me when I went to collect it. I gave her £20, worth a bit more in 1985. I was glad I'd reported losing it.

mikench

Reaction score
I agree . You never know Pete after all the contents are of little interest to a non angler and attempting to sell the gear could be difficult.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Fulfilled a little ambition today, to catch a 4lb + chub from the river system I use, I used to weigh fish with spring balance but stopped bothering and got to 3lb 10oz but that was along time ago.
Went to same place as last time, first swim not a bite so moved to below the bridge. Second cast had a chub of 3.5lb, looked a bit like the same one as last time. Then I put a smaller cube of crust on and hooked the second one, this felt bigger and certainly felt heavier when I pulled it out in the net, it was just under 4.5lb. I have a new digital scale so I think this is fairly accurate, these are good fish for this river, weighed the fish first then the net. 4lb line, float and a ten hook, bait was brown bread. Lovely fish, chunkier one in the second picture; no one fishes here so they have not been mauled and winter condition, free stretch as well
My old renovated greenheart rod was a joy, it has a real through action and very soft, it was tested to about its limit with the 4lb+ fish but played it beautifully, really pleased with this rod, bit of an oddity these days but it works. The intrepid reel did a good job as well.
Weather was a bit chilly, no sun but no rain and the wind was calm in this sheltered spot. No birds to talk about except one glimpse of a kingfisher in the first swim.
P1000552.JPG
P1000553.JPG

Last edited:

peterjg

Reaction score
I went fishing again today (glutton for punishment). Arrived and set up before it got light (heavy frost, bloody cold) on the K&A canal. When it got light I soon realised that the water was gin clear. So after a couple of biteless hours I walked down to the river Kennet to try there. Slow going, I caught two small grayling, two dace (one was a goodun), a bleak, several minnows and typically just on last light a roach which was what I was really after. The water temperature of the canal was 40F and the river 43F.

Reaction score
Hdygo,well I didnt,a disaster from start to finish,I went to a local club stillwater some 12 miles from home,well just outside the car park,before I talked myself into not fishing there,driving another 15 miles to a stretch of river only to find waves like a surf beach,so on another 15 miles to the Ivel to find that similarly blessed,so back in the car and down the A1,only to find it closed and detoured back,I cut across country but got caught up in all the traffic detouring to get back on the A1,eventually got to the small river,walked down without tackle to check options,I thought that one peg looked fishable in the wind(one that normally nobody fishes,went back and got the gear,walked back and somebody had moved into it,so back to the car and home probably drove 100 miles or so,so my maggots could have a day out...?

nottskev

Reaction score
Hdygo,well I didnt,a disaster from start to finish,I went to a local club stillwater some 12 miles from home,well just outside the car park,before I talked myself into not fishing there,driving another 15 miles to a stretch of river only to find waves like a surf beach,so on another 15 miles to the Ivel to find that similarly blessed,so back in the car and down the A1,only to find it closed and detoured back,I cut across country but got caught up in all the traffic detouring to get back on the A1,eventually got to the small river,walked down without tackle to check options,I thought that one peg looked fishable in the wind(one that normally nobody fishes,went back and got the gear,walked back and somebody had moved into it,so back to the car and home probably drove 100 miles or so,so my maggots could have a day out...?

I've had bad dreams like that, Alan - you're just about to do something when a series of things get in the way. Not always fishing, I have to say lol. I once drove 30 miles, turned back because my key wouldn't open the gate lock, phoned the club secretary and complained he'd sent me the wrong key, went back a couple of days later with a new key, and realised I'd been trying to open the wrong padlock.

silvers

Reaction score
Aaaargh!
so my good start to the year has well and truly come off the rails.

After last week’s blank at Barford ... I returned to the same venue. With no rain it was lower and clearer (I could see a ball of punch crumb for 4-5 ft when I dropped in the margin. The week had been cold, but had turned warmer by the Friday and was positively balmy on saturday (about 11 c.).
unfortunately I drew one below the the two pegs that I’d been on the preceding two weeks. I had two dace and a roach early on ... but then proceeded to an early bath with 30 minutes of the match remaining. I packed up and went to weigh in my weigh board. 4:15 of mainly roach, packed up after two hours, one chub for 3:13 and me ... not exactly great. the three pegs above me were all really struggling with an hour to go as well.

on the Sunday I went to Oakley Main and Biddenham for the last round of the Bedford winter league. The Ouse is rarely as clear as the Avon these days, and had a tinge more colour. The team drew peg 1, which was a long way from the favoured 5 and 6. I was up at Oakley Main, my peg was typical for here, about 14ft deep and flowing slowly.
I elected to pot in 4 decent hard balls of groundbait packed with casters and pinkies at 11m (bottom of the shelf) and feed a line further out for the slider, with maggots and hemp fed very sparingly.
the match started brilliantly for me, first drop in after feeding I had a 2 pound perch! Wish we’d stopped right then as i failed to take advantage of that great start. I caught a few fish at intervals, but never got them lined up at all ... ending up with 7:13 and 5th out of eight in the section. There were three 8 pound weights and I didn’t catch a fish for the last hour or so ?.
The best weight were in the section upstream of me, where Micky Burrell used a bait dropper rather than groundbait to feed his maggots and caught a better stamp of roach and more of them for 15:4. He was beaten by Nigel Bass ... who had a run of big perch to take 16:2 to the scales. Great weights.
Our team captain had an even worse day, coming last in his section with 4:15. The other two anglers had a second and third in section, but we couldn’t match pegs 5 and 6.
Well done to Sensas Colemans who won the league by a point from Vauxhall AC.

Last edited: