How did you get on?

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
I've had some enjoyable fishing lately on the upper Stour using bread punch with several roach over a pound, some chub to 3lbs and a fair sprinkling of dace. My latest video highlights one of the sessions: Finding the Bigger Roach

This was my best roach from my last session:
Shillingstone pounder.jpg

silvers

Reaction score
Some lovely fish to members in the last week .... me not so much!

saturday, the weekly open On the Warks Avon at Barford again (it’s local, there are some good winning weights - or so I keep telling myself).
A drop of rain in the river, but not heavily coloured ... it had been mild all week but also an overnight frost.
I drew a peg that had been brilliant in the summer, but recently had only been showing one or two chub ... and that’s what I caught (two chub). I had them early as well ... within the first 70 mins ... the rest of the day dragged. The wind got up a lot, but I could still put a float through perfectly well, just bites absent no matter how I varied the feeding.
5:8 on the scales for nowhere ... all the leading weights were on the bit behind the houses in the village ... a 20, two 16s and a 12.

I used most of my old bait up, so will probably have a break next weekend ... I have a garden arch to put up and I’m not the best when it comes to assembling metalwork!

peterjg

Reaction score
Well at least I'm not the only one struggling. Late start, arrived river Kennet at 10am, spent a couple of hours clearing an overgrown old swim. After all the sawing etc didn't expect much - and that what I got! Caught three blasted crayfish, then about 4.15pm started to get a few proper knocks but nothing strikeable. Had a proper bite (eventually) an hour after dark and caught a bream of about 2lbs. Hometime.

lakhyaman

Reaction score
It’s been a while since I have been fishing what with lockdowns , covid twice (mild, fully vaccinated and boostered), work, travel abroad, etc.

However, I finally made it up to my lake for a genuine session. The lake is ‘v’ shaped with one arm running East West and the other not quite North South.

A6FC324B-FA51-4365-99D8-87B9954C8D3F.jpeg

East West

I fished where the two arms meet and soon had my usual 13 foot float rod (Hardy Marksman 13ft. Specimen), A fly reel (Daiwa Lochmor) loaded with 12lb fluorocarbon (Berkeley), with a homemade peacock quill waggler for the float ending in a great big No. 2 Owner bait hook attached via a two inch braid link. A single AB shot was pinched on where braid met fluorocarbon. The depth was adjusted to leave 3 inches of quill showing with the shot on the bottom. Bait was a great blob of paste to cover the hook made of fish pellets ground to powder mixed with coarse wheat flour and wetted with water. I fished as usual a couple of feet from the rod tip. A handful of pellets were thrown in over the float as groundbait.

9B13B181-2F6C-4FD5-9C5F-A5182ABBAEBD.jpeg

Fishing a peacock quill waggler just past the rod tip, facing South.

It was cold (for these parts: 11ºC) with a chill northerly breeze blowing but the fish were on the bite and I was soon in business.

3F849DB0-1C18-4B14-9FDC-6BB31CF9505C.jpeg

Fish pulling my string

35EA8FB2-8A36-4A3E-A61C-63E1F580B9C2.jpeg

Catla (Catla catla) 5.2 kg. Mandan, who looks after the lake to my left and Ram, his brother, holding the fish.

4EBEB919-1F06-4C59-856C-09C17B47F166.jpeg

Rohu (Labeo rohita) 5kg.

I started fishing as the sun was setting and fished on in to the night while Ram regaled me with a graphic account of how an enormous wild boar, with tushes more akin to the tusks of an elephant, had given him the “what for” earlier that afternoon in the “Backs” of the tea estate. He told me he had unceremoniously legged it the moment he saw it. On my enquiring how he was sure the tushes were that big he said the boar had “popped“ them at him and they had to be big to make that much noise. The “popping“sound is made by a boar by clicking his upper and lower tushes together in a downright nasty manner and is a definite indication to keep your distance.

We fished into the night and landed many fish of a wide variety including Mahseer (Tor putitora), Mrigal (Cirhinnus mrigala), Common carp, and a hapless “nuisance” Tilapia (Oreochromis nilotica) of about a kg, which I have to admit has ended up in the frying pan. The rest of the fish started at about 2.5 kg. The two above were the best weighed.

All the best

Lakhyaman

Attachments

• 4CEE5AB0-5F3F-45F9-AB98-1721DE2F8690.jpeg
    4CEE5AB0-5F3F-45F9-AB98-1721DE2F8690.jpeg
    3.6 MB · Views: 50

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
Great write up Lakhyaman …

Another blank for me today on the canal at Berkhamsted.. Noisy chain saw and equally noisy generator too on the far bank..
Otherwise a pleasant enough day…
A0262517-0A1F-44B5-8B2C-A4428DBEB2CF.jpeg
3B29824A-7ED0-44D9-B402-CF34C1644228.jpeg

A 2:8:0 perch + bits won the match and a 1:4:0 perch 2nd. A fair few blanks as well as me.
9 fished..

Last edited:

no-one in particular

Reaction score
I trip to chub alley again this afternoon, same gear tactics bait etc. although I was hoping for a roach so I tried some smaller bits of brown bread. One roach and one chub about 2lb, not the 4.5lb of last time although I have had to renew my target, 5lb+. Took me 20 odd years to do that so if I beat 20 odd years this time I have improved my angling; I am not holding my breath though. The fish are very pale here, the roach are always slate grey with just a tinge of colour and the chub are the same; in fact I thought it was a small bream at first but, they are all like it in the whole river system, very pale fish.
Nice-ish day, bit windy but the sun came out and warmed me up a bit, no birds here, it is semi urban so apart from a few seagulls and crows, not much going on.
P1000571.JPG
P1000572.JPG
P1000573.JPG

john step

Reaction score
Nice write up and photos Lakhyaman. Glad you are recovered from the dreaded covid. 11 degrees and chilly Eh!! I wish.

Simon this is getting to be a habit.

Markg is your chub Shy?:)

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Nice write up and photos Lakhyaman. Glad you are recovered from the dreaded covid. 11 degrees and chilly Eh!! I wish.

Simon this is getting to be a habit.

Markg is your chub Shy?:)
Ha, could be, I just wanted to get the pic done and put it back, I tried opening the net but it wouldn't go.

Pete Shears

Reaction score
After another blank on the Wreake last week followed by another at the local reservoir on Saturday after pike, a trip out on the upper Soar as the weekend rain had raised the level beckoned this morning. Mild but a strong gusty breeze making it feel a lot colder than the 10C indicated on the car dashboard. Level was up about a foot and had a nice colour but I could not hit the little bounces and trembles on the quiver,switching to trotting bread flake resulted in a chub of 1lb 14oz. Moving upstream had a chub of about a pound fall off followed by a solid indication from a chub at 2lb exactly. The next upstream swim did not produce to the quiver or float so on to the next where on the second cast had a 3lb 4oz chub in the net on legered crust. Moving again to behind the barns on a straight stretch ,I had a brownie of 4oz on legered crust.
Not much wildlife showing themselves in the cool,gusty wind just a pair of buzzards and around six magpies.

John Aston

Reaction score
What a day , WHAT a bloody day. The river had been up a metre at the weekend , but had dropped back to a nice level and colour. Mild cloudy and breezy . Chub were the target , but perch were also in the frame as I'd lost a big (3plus I reckon ) fish on lure last week . First swim was blank and I decided to fish lobworm in the second, as it looked perchy . 12'Avon 1lb 4oz TC Rod, 6lb Maxima , 2/3 oz bomb and a size 4 Kamasan B983 .

Old style , I fished with one of my two surviving Fairy Liquid tops as a bobbin and a twig as a back rest - thought I'd be on the quivertip .

First fish was the biggest, I missed one and bumped one .

In ascending order of perch -

0-8 ; 1-10 ;1-14 ; 2-6 ; 2-10 ; 3-6 and 3-15 ( a PB ) .

And a bonus 5-4 chub on my last worm .

In BB's immortal words - 'Rare sport, this'

urep1.jpg
urep2.jpg

Roger Johnson 2

Reaction score
Lakhyman, Thank you for the wild boar tips! There’s quite a few around here but I’ve not had a face to face encounter …..yet!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

lakhyaman

Reaction score
Lakhyman, Thank you for the wild boar tips! There’s quite a few around here but I’ve not had a face to face encounter …..yet!

Be safe. They are usually peaceable but can get vicious if surprised. A couple of people get killed every year in these parts, but they are usually poachers and the like with inadequate gear!

Roger Johnson 2

Reaction score
Be safe. They are usually peaceable but can get vicious if surprised. A couple of people get killed every year in these parts, but they are usually poachers and the like with inadequate gear!

Unfortunately we seem to be more in danger from the hunters who enjoy a little to much to drink before hunting!