How did you get on?

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
Well I didn’t get the big girl I was after but there were some gig girls swimming about as I was setting up. Four free swimmers took a dip right in front of me. They were wearing wet suits except for one who had a bright red swimming costume. When the swimsuit girl got out she was bright red. I would have loved to have taken a photo but it would have looked a bit pervy.
98afb8e0d41fb0a129ae66b601cda459.jpg

I didn’t have a bad day though and had six pike, the largest weighed eight pounds. All the fish were caught on large rubber roach lures. I tried spoons, spinner baits and plugs but all six were on the same lure.
5c8310d5500f5e78f2e60815c3aaa7ba.jpg

My new Korum pike net got some use. There are some quite high banks so in can be used on a long net pole. The rubber mesh definitely makes life easier. I fished through until sunset, which was pretty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
Well I didn’t get the big girl I was after but there were some big girls swimming about as I was setting up. Four free swimmers took a dip right in front of me. They were wearing wet suits except for one who had a bright red swimming costume. When the swimsuit girl got out she was bright red. I would have loved to have taken a photo but it would have looked a bit pervy.
98afb8e0d41fb0a129ae66b601cda459.jpg

I didn’t have a bad day though and had six pike, the largest weighed eight pounds. All the fish were caught on large rubber roach lures. I tried spoons, spinner baits and plugs but all six were on the same lure.
5c8310d5500f5e78f2e60815c3aaa7ba.jpg

My new Korum pike net got some use. There are some quite high banks so in can be used on a long net pole. The rubber mesh definitely makes life easier. I fished through until sunset, which was pretty.
25468068e074b6c349e0ba35e1d9a630.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

taimen

Reaction score
Alan, if you're ever in Russia, these three phrases will cover any situation:

Ya nye bwil tam I wasn't there

Mnye vsyo ravno It's all the same to me

Tak oozhe bwilo It was like that already
Your Russian is adequate, but you could learn some more. If you travel abroad, the fish names are a must.
Here are the pages 562 - 565 from my new book (Flyfishing Russia: The Far East) with a glossary:

Attachments

• Mikhail_Skopets_Fly Fising Russia-587.pdf
    128.4 KB · Views: 84
  • Mikhail_Skopets_Fly Fising Russia-588.pdf
    128 KB · Views: 68
  • Mikhail_Skopets_Fly Fising Russia-589.pdf
    138.5 KB · Views: 54
  • Mikhail_Skopets_Fly Fising Russia-590.pdf
    120.7 KB · Views: 91

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
Further to my last session I made a video of what happened: Roach Fishing - Muddy Waters

I got out yesterday on a different stretch but the roach proved elusive - I had one of around 8oz and a couple of tiddlers but a swim move saw me find a shoal of chub with a couple around 3lbs and another three smaller ones, all on punched bread; here's the biggest:

Attachments

• IMG_1848 small.jpg
    862.2 KB · Views: 41

flightliner

Reaction score
I fished the lower tidal Trent the other day, a section where you need to know the tides as a very low one would be difficult without having a 3metre landing net handle on starting but it wouldnt be long before even that would be no good as it would leave an angler with little choice but to slide a fish over thick glutinous mud.
Friday was a 50/50 kind of tide so I went but with two differant stillwaters in mind should it be lower than expected on arrival— it wasnt thank goodness and tho dropping it remained ok thro out the day for my landing net to cope ok.
I fished a feeder rod with double/single maggots on a wide gape 16,black cap feeder to a 4lb bottom and commenced to fish on the outside of a bend where the currant heads towards the far bank, a nice spot where I've had some good days in the past.
A half hour in the red arrows put on a superb display of aerobatics making it hard not to look up when I should have been looking down.
They finnished with what was a perfect letter M that had me thinking it was some sort of message to the ground crew at scampton that a big mac was on the cards for lunch, obviously not but the thought made me smile?.
Not long after the display ended I had the only bite that warrented striking at which prooved to be a small Barbel of some 3 to 4 lbs that tho feisty eventually went into my landing net.
Other than 2 or 3 tiny twitches around dusk the BB was my only fish.
Ps, I've just asked my italian son in law what their equivilant is of the red arrows its the—
"Friechi di tricolori".

Attachments

• IMG_20220211_114424.jpg
    IMG_20220211_114424.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 50
Last edited:

Pete Shears

Reaction score
After another blank on Friday at a gravel pit near Melton deadbaiting for pike with a good mate, it was spinning at the big reservoir yesterday which I last visited on Christmas Eve. The forecast southerly breeze soon swung to a westerly and was ripping across the front of the dam which made casting awkward having to wait for a lull between gusts to hit a decent depth and distance. Working along the dam using a silver toby type lure proved ineffective so on the way back changing the lure to a Mepps,rubber shad and spinner baits at each spot. Eventually near the mid point a fire tiger spinnerbait did the job with a pike of about 8lb but it decided to spin and wrap itself up in the net which took a while to untangle.
As the grebes and six cormorants were about 250 yards off the dam I thought I had been lucky for a change not to blank.
Going back to Friday we both suffered fast runs on 5 out of a total of six rods but did not connect with anything and the deadbaits were unmarked - could it have been carp stirring and catching the braided mainlines on their dorsal fins or carp trying to feed on the deadbaits - the only rod which didn't go had a sprat on it. Any ideas ?

Philip

Reaction score
Carp can be very preadatory around this time of year.

Eels or Chub would be my other guess if they are present Pete.

mikench

Reaction score
I agree Pete. I have never had an issue with them and have bought rods, reels and hooks. It's a great shop to visit too if you are ever in Leeds.

john step

Reaction score
I agree Pete. I have never had an issue with them and have bought rods, reels and hooks. It's a great shop to visit too if you are ever in Leeds.
Yes been a couple of times. I could not contemplate finding it without a sat nav though.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
So, a trip to that little stream that looks unfishable from the road, the EA were doing some work on it, on the way back I asked the bloke had he seen any fish, a couple jumping , he said they were just trimming back some of the side growth today but they had dredged it a bit last Autumn. He said they leave it until the birds have finished nesting and they don't cut it all back to leave something for them to nest in. Nice to see them being so considerate.
I fished a bit further up were it widens but moved swims pretty soon as had the wind in my face and it was a lot colder and stronger than forecast. Got too the other side which turned out quite pleasant with the trees behind me. However, not a sausage roll., 2 hours and the float did not move, chucked brown bread and sweetcorn in, usual gear.
I asked the EA bloke on the way home had he seen any fish, a couple jumping he said but he also said sees more in the Autumn. This is a summer/warm weather water, first swim only a couple of foot and the second deeper, about 5ft but the water is up with the rain. No birds but worked out a new way to load my bag and rods onto my trolley so, something good. I will go back when it is a bit warmer and expect some 1lb+ roach.
P1000605.JPG
P1000602.JPG
P1000609.JPG

Last edited:

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
Fished the Aylesbury arm of the GUC today on my weekly Tuesday match. Only 6 turned up, probably due to the weather forecast.
It started off quite pleasant…

EBC29706-471D-430D-A0A2-2F55F43B2214.jpeg

….but soon deteriorated to this…

12A46C4D-6DE2-483C-84FD-D94473D1F2B6.jpeg
9C9D717B-DC24-410B-92E2-34B226043C12.jpeg

Once again just one angler had a bite; a 4:7:0 bream. The other 5, including me, didn’t have a touch?

Oh well, tomorrow‘s forecast looks better so I‘ll see if I can lose this blanking spell I’m under…

corixa

Reaction score
Fished the Aylesbury arm of the GUC today on my weekly Tuesday match. Only 6 turned up, probably due to the weather forecast.
It started off quite pleasant…

View attachment 19515

….but soon deteriorated to this…

View attachment 19516View attachment 19517

Once again just one angler had a bite; a 4:7:0 bream. The other 5, including me, didn’t have a touch?

Oh well, tomorrow‘s forecast looks better so I‘ll see if I can lose this blanking spell I’m under…
Luton Sweep tomorrow. 8.30 draw picnic area at 3 Locks

nottskev

Reaction score
The forecast said the afternoon would be dry. The little local river had been well up but was dropping. Things looked good - for about half an hour. It was a fair walk to the S bends between long straights.

st3.jpg

Things looked promising with a decent chub first cast

st1.jpg

and a slightly smaller one immediately after. But then some extra water arrived from two directions. The skies opened and a big plug of water came through, boiling through the swim, bringing the level up several inches in quick time. I moved to a swim with a bit of slack, but the chub here don't play when the water's rising. Still, nice to get out for a bit.