''How much further can tackle advance''.

barbelboi

Reaction score
Ravioli please - DW never accepted the change of name by the Evening News reporter and always referred to her by her correct name.............:)

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
I think the ultimate rods and hooks were around 15 to 20 years ago. Katsuichi hooks make the current crop seem poor and even Kamasan and drennan were far superior. I've got some 1985 Carbon Match that are far better than later ones. Carbotec rods were even better than the best of the Normarks and I'd love to have seen a Carbotec Microlite and stick float rod, also a tippier version of the No. 1 and 2. Some lines from 20 years ago - Ignesti Special and Daiwa Harrier, even the 'old' pre 1995 Maxima, all without peer.

barbelboi

Reaction score
Both names are rubbish IMO. Just saying.

Ah, but Ravioli was the ' the bankside staple diet' for many carp fishermen during the 50's and 60's - as we know it was many years later that 'Clarissa' type diets were taken on the bank.........................;)

Anyway, a bit of useless info. - ever since Bob Richards record carp (the last unnamed one and the one before DW's) every single record carp has died before the new record holder was caught................

trotter2

Reaction score
Interesting discussion. Its easy to look back and still think items in the 80s 90s were as good as today
But I don't think any of the older stuff is as good as the new rods and lines we have today

Last edited:

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
Ah, but Ravioli was the ' the bankside staple diet' for many carp fishermen during the 50's and 60's - as we know it was many years later that 'Clarissa' type diets were taken on the bank.........................;)

Anyway, a bit of useless info. - ever since Bob Richards record carp (the last unnamed one and the one before DW's) every single record carp has died before the new record holder was caught................

That would make the current record " Pot Noodle" or "Sausage & Beans" then ?

As for your other point...youll get no argument from me on that. A useful thing to file under " Things to remember if I ever find myself trapped in a Carp Society charity Pub Quiz" ! Who works this stuff out ? They need to get out more !

Last edited:

maggot_dangler

Reaction score
Hows about a time warping device that slows down those dang rocket powered bites that hav ethe float hit bottom and back up before you got a hope of reacting must have had 30 of those today ....:mad:

PG ..

laguna

Reaction score
You can literally do without everything you carry if you go far enough back in time, a branch, bent pin, cat gut and a bit of bait is all that's needed. Everything else is convenient. As for modern developments, I do not foresee any major changes in angling except perhaps new rig bits and end tackle, newer improved materials and methods of catching.

The 'safe', 'semi-fixed', 'in-line' bolt rigs are getting an overhaul as we speak...

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Carbotec rods were even better than the best of the Normarks and I'd love to have seen a Carbotec Microlite and stick float rod, also a tippier version of the No. 1 and 2.

In my opinion those Carbotecs are the best rods ever made. I'd have loved to have seen a stick float version too . . . . . . .

I have the Number 3 Float and Quiver versions which for larger fish are virtually unbeatable, again, just in my opinion.

The Carbotecs were not the cheapest rods ever made, but then top quality is never cheap, is it?

Occasionally you can still pick one up on flea-bay though . . . . . at a price . . . .

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Carbotec-...783146?hash=item419e202d6a:g:8YQAAOSwhcJWG5mm

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CARBOTEC-...777264?hash=item43e47674f0:g:s6IAAOSwu4BV6rRG

Last edited:

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
I'm not convinced it can go much further. Rods are pretty well as light and strong as they can be and provided you avoid the real bottom end stuff there is no such thing as a bad reel nowadays.......unless it has a double handle or its owned by our resident Wreck it Ralph.

Lines maybe....there are some good " hi-tech" ones out there in among the rubbish and I like the idea of a neutral buoyancy hook. Other than that i cant see any major "new" developments. Any changes will be largely cosmetic.

But that won't stop the tackle producers trying to tell us that this years gear is rubbish and we need to upgrade to their latest offering or we are very bad people. I own (and still use) rods older than my kids and they still perform perfectly well......the rods I mean,not the kids ,those I'd happily change !

Last edited:

lookabaa

Reaction score
I think rods will always get lighter and stronger as we find out how to use materials better and discover new ones.

What about 3D printer kits? For example, you pay somebody like Daiwa a small fortune to play about with some software on their website to customise a rod and then you print it out.

I would like the idea of a camera looking down from a float for recce trips to the river. It would be nice to know exactly what and how big that snag is sometimes!

robertroach

Reaction score
The answer to the question is that tackle will advance a lot further and faster than we think.
New materials such as graphene are advancing fast with billions of dollars being spent on nanotechnology research and development. Imagine a rod weighing a fraction of what it does now. It's a revolution about to happen.

Please can you remember I told you this first, In 20 years time I don't want to be one of those smart arses who says I told you so.

Derek Gibson

Reaction score
The answer to the question is that tackle will advance a lot further and faster than we think.
New materials such as graphene are advancing fast with billions of dollars being spent on nanotechnology research and development. Imagine a rod weighing a fraction of what it does now. It's a revolution about to happen.

Please can you remember I told you this first, In 20 years time I don't want to be one of those smart arses who says I told you so.

Rob,

That there will be improvements is not in doubt. But my initial point was,''will there be significant changes'', or as we have seen in recent years token refinements passed off as some major breakthrough by the manufacturer.

You have given yourself a window of twenty years for this to happen,even ''if'' it did? I fear a few of us may not be around to hear you say ''I told you so'' wink, wink.

bracket

Reaction score
One advancement that I would certain appreciate, as would many others, I am sure, who like me are suffering in the "windows department", would be an improved shot dispenser. One that presented the shot for attachement to the line, with the means to nip it on, then at the end of the session the wherewith all to remove it from the line, returning it to the dispenser for use next time. The shot producers must have developed handling methods for manipulating shot during the manufacturer, so it cannot be beyond the wit of man to to design a device that is "angler friendly". There have been some half hearted attempts in the past to tackle this problem, but none I have found to be foolproof. Pete.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
One advancement that I would certain appreciate, as would many others, I am sure, who like me are suffering in the "windows department", would be an improved shot dispenser. One that presented the shot for attachement to the line, with the means to nip it on, then at the end of the session the wherewith all to remove it from the line, returning it to the dispenser for use next time. The shot producers must have developed handling methods for manipulating shot during the manufacturer, so it cannot be beyond the wit of man to to design a device that is "angler friendly". There have been some half hearted attempts in the past to tackle this problem, but none I have found to be foolproof. Pete.
Totally agree with that Pete, infernal things but having dropped my little tub of them last time I fished and only recovering half of them; I expect the manufactures hope that happens.

theartist

Reaction score
I like the idea of Graphene rods as that stuff is pretty sensational although were still driving around in cars we think are the bees knees that still run on inflated rubber so I won't hold my breath for that soon.

Were supposed to have hovver cars by now according to that Back to the future documentary although they did cut a scene where Michael J Fox had trouble stringing out some no8's on a stickfloat rig :)

Those shot dispensers are a nightmare. I found out by accident that shot are much easier to find if they're loose in your jacket pockets. If like me you only use two or three sizes then having a pocket with each size in makes setting up and packing up a lot quicker with the only downside the dust that gets in the small shot. Bit left field but it works for me.

Last edited:

no-one in particular

Reaction score
I wondered if this graphene might make its way into lines. Its made of graphite a common and cheap materiel. They have found a way of making the atoms interlock like super-glue. A sheet one atom thick can hold a heavy weight. Mixed with something I imagine it might make super strong thin fishing lines and possibly hooks as well..

robertroach

Reaction score
Mark I think you're right, graphene will be used for all sorts of things including hooks and lines. "Seeding" various materials with graphene is changing their properties. If end tackle is invisible to fish and rods and reels weigh hardly anything it's a big change to our fishing.
The UK is ahead of the game on this one. Hope the Chinese don't take it all over.

B

binka

I think I've overlooked the obvious, at least in relation to myself anyway... Just make everything unbreakable!

The guy in the tackle shop that recently sold me the Shimano reel which suffered the spool collapse said at the time that there was only one problem with Shimano reels, namely that they don't break and they don't sell as many due to them not wearing out and needing to be replaced.

He's got a surprise coming the next time I'm in there :rolleyes:

ciprinus

Reaction score
I think I've overlooked the obvious, at least in relation to myself anyway... Just make everything unbreakable!

The guy in the tackle shop that recently sold me the Shimano reel which suffered the spool collapse said at the time that there was only one problem with Shimano reels, namely that they don't break and they don't sell as many due to them not wearing out and needing to be replaced.

He's got a surprise coming the next time I'm in there :rolleyes:

here you go Binka, couple this up with the shimano magnesium aero cast reel and you are set for life ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6t53DqViXVc

---------- Post added at 03:52 ---------- Previous post was at 03:49 ----------

Damn, how do you embed video into post?