How to: Tie the Resetting Ring Rig

Frothey

Reaction score
i wasn't suggesting using shrink tube? i was commenting on Ians rig that uses soft silicon. Also, it isn't trapping the hair against the hook if you look carefully at it.

When using the blowback as you suggest, what happens if the first fish that comes along blows it back without you pricking the fish? the rig isn't then efficient for the next fish - using a ring means it always "re-sets" itself.

noknot

Reaction score
ian's has got soft silicon in between ring and eye so it should fold up. it's there to ensure the ring is in the right position when the bait is sucked in.

I still can't see how the silicone tube can "fold" back, it still has braid running through it! Sorry but I see it as just another article..........

Reaction score
People do get very touchy and that don't they.

I would replace the piece of silicone tube with a small pink plastic beed from my daughter's ever expanding pink plastic beed collection.

It would jazz up the rig a little bit without going over the top AND make it more appealing to female anglers.

Cakey

Reaction score
Ive seen carp sucking and blowing ...................................lots of power

Last edited:

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
Dave, are you saying that the ring rig is mechanically better (more efficient) than the normal hair rig then? You carp boys use so many different rig setups and though I can see the advantge of some, there are others that confound me. I am still interested though and I do adapt some for my own use, still learning even at my age.

Cakey

Reaction score
Frothey I see everyones point that its going to be harder to fold with silicon than without

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
If you ignore steps 9, 10, and 11, THAT's how I see the blow back rig. Like Wol's second one.

I only ever use these now for pop-ups and 50/50 snowmen, mind, as the boily will lift the ring to it's full stretch automatically. I'm not always sure that this has happened with a bottom boily - UNLESS, you have a PVA bag of goodies over the hook and bait and the hook and ring were set before sealing and casting.

But then, I'm no carping expert. :cool:

Frothey

Reaction score
i think some people thought it was shrink tube.....

I agree though, better without it.

I prefer blowbacks to "normal" rigs Graham, but it depends on the lake bottom - being covered in silk weed (for example) aint going to help it...... wols rig is the kiddie, whatever cakey says.

---------- Post added at 10:58 ---------- Previous post was at 10:57 ----------

I only ever use these now for pop-ups and 50/50 snowmen, mind, as the boily will lift the ring to it's full stretch automatically. I'm not always sure that this has happened with a bottom boily

it'll happen as the fish sucks the bait in.

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfman Woody View Post
I only ever use these now for pop-ups and 50/50 snowmen, mind, as the boily will lift the ring to it's full stretch automatically. I'm not always sure that this has happened with a bottom boily

it'll happen as the fish sucks the bait in.

This is true Frothey.

it would have to be very soft tubing to fold back
Even the softest at such a short length couldn't fold back. Try it with some, I just have.

Frothey

Reaction score
wrong stuff, you want ultra mega special super soft carpsilicone.

thing is, we're all analysing it on the desktop, Ian's used it and had better results.....

Cakey

Reaction score
Frothey ...I see nothing wrong in pointing out Ians mistakes and uping his catch rate to two fish per year :D:D:D