How would you fish this?

chrissh

Reaction score
One of my local fishery’s is having a any method fish on its trout lake next week

They want to move all the trout to their other trout lakes and the Rudd, Roach, Perch to the other lake and join the trout lake up with the specimen carp lake making it a bigger lake

The fishery will be providing nets & tanks for the fish

The pond has specimen Rudd (2lb +) Roach, Perch, Trout, the pond has only ever been fish fly

How would you fish this float or feeder?

And what bait would you use for the trout?

Paste paul

Reaction score
Maggots all the way for me ......
Lose feed them and punch a little waggler out ...... keep varying the depth you might get them shallow.
If the trout don’t normally see maggots they go nuts for them.

Keith M

Reaction score
I would start off with a float rod and fish the waggler too.

With a float rod you can fish at any depth wherever you find the fish whereas with the feeder you are limiting yourself to bottom fishing plus you can search for bites easier with a float rather than just hoping you’ll get bites in one or two places on the bottom or making big splashes if you do want to search for bites with a feeder.

Plus as you can see I prefer the float to the feeder anyway :giggle:

Keith

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
Fish waggler, feed little and often using maggots, take worms and corn as change of bait.
Ask if the fishery use pellets to feed the fish,if they do fish maggots and feed pellets again little and often,changing depth to keep fish coming.
Also if they do feed the fish you could soften some pellets to put on the hook.
Dont forget the margins either.

mikench

Reaction score
Another vote for the float. You can vary depth, distance, bait and even emulate a fly landing on the surface. I've found feeder fishing generally disappointing so far this year.

Reaction score
Float,8mm pellets on the band,fishing on the drop,probably up in the water,feeding 6/8 pellets every 30 seconds or so,trout know what pellets are and they SHOULD respond to the regular noise of feeding,on maggot,i've done it on all method trout fisheries thinking I'd empty it and struggled,you might even find sweetcorn a good option as its noisy,visual and big enough to attract attention...

Golden Eagle

Reaction score
Reminded me of doing the very same thing at Burton Mere, many many years ago. One of the very first commercial fisheries in the 1980s it is now sadly a Bird Sanctuary. Some of tge

As has been said a simple waggler with maggots was the favoured approach, up in the water with regular feeding being the key. The trout fight well but are pretty easy to catch.

Best of luck, let us know how it goes?

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
I fished an any method trout fishery in Scotland, ended up having to buy vending cup sized cups of sweetcorn from them for price I could have got a couple of kilos for from the local shop.
Later on I read that trout cannot digest sweetcorn, It is a good bait because it looks like small clumps of fish eggs.

chrissh

Reaction score
Mag n wag Chrissh!
Ps, need a hand, those Rudd n roach sound great ! ??

Its barlow Mick im book on for next Tuesday

Screenshot (9).png

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Ten quid a day !!! if they want the fish shifting they should allow regulars to fish for free and supply the bait. ? ?

Obviously a blag, just a money makin' exercise.

Can't blame em though....if people are daft enough to bite!

rayner

Reaction score
The electro fish it reply was the best idea.
I know fisheries haven't had any custom over the last few months but that was the time to get the fish moved.

nottskev

Reaction score
£10 isn't out of the way these days, for a day ticket, although it's above average up here, I think.
It may be that people have been curious about this pond and what it holds for a long time.
I wouldn't say you'd have to be daft to fancy a go.
The fact they want to move the fish is no more or less commercial than any other commercial.
The bit that struck me in the ad was not the cost, but the fact that it's in aid of yet another carp expansion.

rayner

Reaction score
A bit of a cheek asking anglers to pay in order to work for the owners and feed the fish to boot.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
£10 isn't out of the way these days, for a day ticket, although it's above average up here, I think.
It may be that people have been curious about this pond and what it holds for a long time.
I wouldn't say you'd have to be daft to fancy a go.
The fact they want to move the fish is no more or less commercial than any other commercial.
The bit that struck me in the ad was not the cost, but the fact that it's in aid of yet another carp expansion.

Daft I say.

Even after this money making scam the waters will have to be drained, netted and electro'ed otherwise there will be lots of fish left in there.

nottskev

Reaction score
A bit of a cheek asking anglers to pay in order to work for the owners and feed the fish to boot.

Looked at that way, yes. But isn't that just we do on commercials anyway, normally within stricter rules?

I'd cheerfully have a go - a one-off, fish-as-you-like day on a former trout pond and use a keepnet?
Can't see how I'm worse off than I would be with the usual commercial deal.