John Bailey

R

Rodney Wrestt

Andrew,
I noticed this as well, I think the woman in the picture is Mrs Bailey.

I also agree with paul, I don't read John's articles anymore.....well not untill I have no other material and what with FM I have less and less inclination to do so.

P

Paul Williams

Gary,
You are right we probably are so close to agreeing it don't matter! but whilst i would agree that a guy who stands up and speaks his mind is to be respected i'm afraid that in the case of John Bailey it is becoming nothing more than egolistic rubbish in my opinion, and the reason i say that is that he never replies or trys to defend himself from the critism.(uptill now)
A lot of us wrote to IYCF when he penned "that" piece but he remained untouchable and protected........if you or i made similar errors of judgement in the way we earn a living it would be "bye bye"
This would be a great chat over a beer mate!

D

Dave O'L

some of his stuff makes me think, as do some of you lot ie Carp Angler's observations about eels a few weeks ago. If this was all it was no problem. but he says things, not based on science, in such a way that provide easy ammunition for others less favourable to our sport.
something else that annoys me & that i have felt now for some time now, is his articles are mostly plugs for his fishing/travel buisness.

M

Mike Fidler

Guy's, Mr Bailey is a member of the angling elite along with Mr James etc.. He believes he is right and in his opinion he has angling and the fish's wellfare as the priority.
Unfortunalty his style of fishing and writing is so far removed from what we experience these days that it's pointless reading it anymore.
He produces new members of the barbel police every time someone pays to fish with him and spouts deluded rubbish regarding things that other anglers hold dear ie keep nets, It's time to take his soapbox away. Stop buying his books and tell CF that we don't want to read his stuff anymore. Simple as that.

K

Keith Miller

I have met and fished with John and can say that he is a very pleasant chap with some interesting views, some of which I would not go along with. I remain a villain in many ways, but I am always interested to hear other peoples views and try alternative methods. Contentious opinion is fodder for debate.
He is as entitled as any of us to express his views but I do feel that some are open to misinterpretation by the antis and wish he would be more careful.

D

Dave O'L

A few years ago, an excellent writer commenting on I think a heated debate about livebaiting, made a humerous tongue in cheek comment.
A few weeks later I was horrified to come across the same comment taken out of context in the Sat Guardian Editor mag. It was in a collection of quotes which the small regular piece had taken from fishing magazines that week. There were no comments - how they had printed it didn't need any!!! It was most unfortunate.

P

Phil Hackett

Psychological harm to fish eh!
Interesting!
Any evidence JB?
No I thought not!
Just you own muddled thoughts and interpretations.

Psychological harm to you fellow anglers?
Probably, reading many of the comments in this thread!

Lets face it the guy has lost it big time!

CF editor take note of what's being said on this thread.
The guy is possibly threatening your livelihood by what he is writing in your Mag these days.

Psychology of self-presevation - dump him now before it's to late!

P

Paul Williams

Kieth,
Of course he is entitled to express his views along with the rest of us but should he be given a platform to do so in an area that many believe he is harming?
Peta members have a legal right to voice their opinions but we don't give them space in angling publications, there is a line and it has in my opinion been crossed!
I don't doubt that John comes over as a "pleasant" person, he probably is, history is littered with people who are "pleasant"!!!

M

Mike Parker

John obviously has enough money to fish abroad so if he can assist in the banning in angling why should he care - he can still fish!!! Alltho if he didnt recieve money for articles for magazines which would have to go underground praps he won't be able to afford to go fishing abroad.

M

Martin Wright

The word hypocrite springs to mind.

I'd love to be able to earn my living out of fishing, but not at the expense of telling everybody else what to do.

I'm quite capable of making my own mind up about the ethics of the way I fish without JB banging on about it month after month.

But of course JB is doing his bit for the third world (as he claims in last months CF) going to Mongolia and contributing to their economy. I wonder if they're p----d off with him yet.

P

Paul Williams

Martin,
Your last sentence sums it up for me!! did he really say that?....i'll have to read his article now!!
That statement belongs to the 1800's or the comedy "It aint half mom"!!!

D

Davy North

It would also appear Mr Bailey can give it but not take it. A few months ago Gord Burton made comments on ferox trout, and John spat his dummy right out.
Now I'm sure Gords comments were very tonge in cheak and meant as a wind up, and only affected the people lucky enough to have the time and money to fish for this very rare speicies. Johns comments are affecting evey angler in the country.

M

Mike Fidler

Sent a letter to Start Dexter the editor at Coarse Fisherman. It just makes me wonder why they print his deluded ramblings any more, does it sell more magazines? Do they enjoy having a postbag full of angry letters? Probably.

R

Ron Clay

What I think is this. The real John Bailey has expired. What we see now is a PETA genetically modified clone of Bailey who is infiltrating the ranks of angling on the back of who, was years ago, quite a well respected writer!!

P

Paul Williams

It certainly makes you think along those lines doesn't it Ron.......dangerous John!!

M

Martin Wright

Wouldn't it be nice if JB gave up fishing to run a barbel sanctuary in Greenland.

C

Chris Bishop

I've never met the guy, but think he'[s raised some very serious issues which we can't afford to just dismiss because we don't feel comfortable with them.

D

Dave O'L

I agree Chris, but I wish he could communicate them without saying things in such a way that his statements become hijacked by others for their own purposes.