Latest Angling Star

fishy pete

Reaction score
ding ,ding .............. ''and at the end of round one Tony just scrapes through whilst leaving Phil trailing behind in the points stakes''

seconds out round two...............

P

Phil Hackett Manchester Granitewith Pride

Why on earth Im answering you is beyond me, Im busy today.

I'm not!
Muchas timus to play!

Ron you don't have to read it you know!

P

Phil Hackett Manchester Granitewith Pride

BTW Ron, have you got you name down for HPS then?

Might be some very bad news for them all if what a little bird told me the other night :0)

And they can go as far as......well lets just say many K.

L

Lee Fletcher 1

Dear Tony,

Working hours for Hazelford lock are 6.30am till 7.10 pm. After those times Hazelford lock is self operated. Interesting to learn that the lock keeper "stays" in a narrow boat in the moorings because to my knowledge, which I admit might be wrong, there have been no resident boat licenses issued for that mooring?

Hazelford, Fiskerton and Nabbs Island? King Edwyn?s grant of 956 first mentions "Fiskerton" the village and ever since has been noted for its fishing. The river Trent and the nearby trout stream - the Greet were so full of fish that the old English name ?Fiscere? was added ?tun? to mean ?the farm of the fishermen? and appeared in the Doomesday book as ?Fiscartune?. The fishing is still good to this day as can be verified by the many fisherman ?pegged out? along the banks of the Trent. Next to the old wharf is the Bromley Arms. Up until the middle of this century there was a ferry boat service over to the other side of the river at Stoke Field. This is where on 16th June 1487 the armies of Henry VII and the Earl of Lincoln fought which ended the battle of the Roses. This was two years after the defeat of Richard III at the battle of Bosworth. This was in those times the river could be forded and the army of one side crossed over on foot and by horse to meet the enemy at Red Gutter. So named after the severity of the carnage. Some 6000 including the Earl of Lincoln perished. The weirs and locks upstream have now made the river slow and deep. Continue by the river, passing the Bromley Arms and follow the river round through a series of clapper gates until after about 2 kilometres you reach Hazelford lock and weir. Continue along the river for another kilometre to Hazelford ferry. There is car parking here. This used to be an important crossing point of the Trent, taking the main Nottingham to Newark road. Nabbs Island in the river made it fordable and up until recent times O. S. maps showed stepping stones here In the Southwell Charter of 956 it was mentioned a ?the paved way? (possibly Roman and in 956 was part of the parish boundary) running through Bleasby to the ford. The large building by the river previously ?The Star and Garter Hotel? is now a nursing home.

The ?Red Gutter? is the land situated on the Nottingham Piscatorial side of the river opposite Fiskerton wharf which is now a collection of arable fields and pasture. This particular part of the river is steeped in history easily pre-dating Roman and Celtic periods.

Dear Phil, Power saws, if being hired by members of the public, should only be hired out to those with the relevant safety certification. Very dodgy hiring out such equipment without it. In any case, the fishing right along the Trent is very good and fish have fins so tend to swim about a great deal. The ?Ladies Piece? stretch is exceptionally good. Any time you want to fish there Phil let me know and I?ll organise the tickets OK?

Regards,

Lee.

T

Tony Rocca

Lee,
The resident moorings are above the lock, about ten of them.

Phil, your bait is poor, but just for the record K's a plenty thanks.

L

Lee Fletcher 1

Dear Tony,

Are you talking about the moorings at the side of the old Star and Garter now a nursing home?

Regards,

Lee.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA-Life Member)

No I'm not fishing the Trent at all this year.

This year I'm after trout virtually exclusively, with perhaps a bit of tench fishing in June and maybe some seatrout or a salmon in August.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA-Life Member)

I've had over 5 good years on the Trent. Now I really fancy a change.

T

Tony Rocca

No Lee, immediately as you exit the lock going upstream on your left. You cant see them from anywhere unless you go over onto the island or walk up river on the west bank above the weir.

Liked the hare thing, ever read Lepus by BB?

K

Keith Truscott

Lee,

Your knowledge astounds me at times, but certainly makes interesting reading. From Gunthorpe through to Farndon has always been my favourite bit of river. Good to see you back on form, the pills must be working.

Keith

L

Lee Fletcher 1

Dear Tony,

I fished the stretch above and I can't recal seeing boats moored there. Nice spot on the river to have a boat moored though.

No I've not read Lepus Tony but I bet its a good read knowing his style of writing.

Has the lock keeper changed since I used to fish at Hazelford? The old geezer that used to be there was shall I say, quite odd!

And Ron, whilst tench, trout, seatrout and salmon are all very well, surely they are second rate to the magnificant Burbot? I haven't managed to track one down yet but its getting very interesting catching all these nuisance double figure barbel along the way.

Regards,

Lee.

L

Lee Fletcher 1

Dear Keith,

A Quiz. If you answer the questions correctly, you win the star prize of a days,or nights, or both, fishing with me.

1. Where was the Elm Tree public house situated?

2. If fishing the Elm Tree stretch, which village did one obtain day tickets from and where exactly in said village?

You have five minutes to answer the questions in order to win the star prize.

Regards,

Michael Miles and Bob Danves-Walker on the gong.

L

Lee Fletcher 1

Want to take a guess Keith? Booby prize of five pints of floating casters and hemp for a wrong answer.

T

Tony Rocca

The old geezers long gone Lee, 3 of em now, shift system, with a nice young lad and his bird shacked up afloat. One of em is still a bit odd though.

Doesnt time just fly by.

Old Trussers will be back next week to cry foul.