Lower Itchen Fishery - FM Fish'in

Status
Not open for further replies.

Graham Elliott 1

Reaction score
Hi Mick.
Im on the Itchen tomorrow if you are around.

Looks like plenty of water!!

Graham

barbelboi

Reaction score
Hi Mick.

Graham

Graham, a friend and I are thinking of fishing the Itchen next week (a few miles further upstream than the LIF) be interested to hear how the levels are (in your face is usually more reliable than the EA site).

mick b

Reaction score
Hi Mick.

Graham

I looked in on Monday and it was more than 6" over the path below the Salmon ladder.
Continued to rise.....with no access beyond the first gate :eek:mg:

Take care wherever you walk and only as advised.

May come and feed the Robin :D

barbelboi

Reaction score
I looked in on Monday and it was more than 6" over the path below the Salmon ladder.
Continued to rise.....with no access beyond the first gate :eek:mg:

Take care wherever you walk and only as advised.

May come and feed the Robin :D

You go steady Mick - take the 15'er just in case............;)

bennygesserit

Reaction score
Thoroughly enjoyed that write up Skippy - excellent reading !

I haven't fished a river for over 40 years ( wow ! ) i don't understand the aversion to trout ?

barbelboi

Reaction score
Probably not so much as an aversion Benny, it's just that the spotted roach are far too easy to catch when using bait - hence people started fluff chucking to bring in a little more of a challange................;)

sam vimes

Reaction score
i don't understand the aversion to trout ?

I'm not especially averse, but they go with the territory on the river I fish. The snag with them is that they are voracious sods and have a nasty habit of bullying other species out of the way. They also tend to jump around like lunatics when hooked, this can absolutely trash a swim, putting everything else off the feed for quite some time. It's a little frustrating, when you been patiently building a swim. Just when you've got the chub/grayling/dace/roach starting to feed, a trout turns up, flies around like looney and leaves you having to start over. A trout on coarse gear is fine once in a while, quite a novelty for some. Once it happens too regularly, it soon becomes a pain.

mick b

Reaction score
You go steady Mick - take the 15'er just in case............;)

Contre-Riposte...........Touche

:D

---------- Post added at 03:47 ---------- Previous post was at 03:30 ----------

I'm not especially averse, but they go with the territory on the river I fish. The snag with them is that they are voracious sods and have a nasty habit of bullying other species out of the way. They also tend to jump around like lunatics when hooked, this can absolutely trash a swim, putting everything else off the feed for quite some time. It's a little frustrating, when you been patiently building a swim. Just when you've got the chub/grayling/dace/roach starting to feed, a trout turns up, flies around like looney and leaves you having to start over. A trout on coarse gear is fine once in a while, quite a novelty for some. Once it happens too regularly, it soon becomes a pain.

Thanks Sam.
Exactly as I would say it.

Benny
If Im trying to catch Chub Grayling or Roach it is essential to start 2-3 hours before you can expect any serious action, simply because an initial 'swim preparation time' is required for dealing with the spotted hooligans.

A small handful of mash and a run thro and its whizzo all over the river.
They are such greedy bu##ers any delay in the strike and the hook can be out of sight (experimenting with circles now btw).
Ive actually tried to feed them out of a swim but this has proved counterproductive as it feeds of the target species at the same time:eek:mg:

The only answer is to wade thro them.
Not an aversion, they are quite sporting as a fish on a line.....a floating 4wt that is.

Atleast we have the 'free' where for some reason the Roach are far more plentiful and there are far far fewer of the spotted species :confused:

barbelboi

Reaction score
Contre-Riposte...........Touche

:D

---------- Post added at 03:47 ---------- Previous post was at 03:30 ----------

You have to question the modus operandi of people who use foreign phrases for no apparent reason......................................;)

bennygesserit

Reaction score
Thanks Sam , Mick that sheds light on it for me , there was a Matt Hayes episode recently where he had similar trouble.

mick b

Reaction score
Thanks Sam , Mick that sheds light on it for me , there was a Matt Hayes episode recently where he had similar trouble.

Hey Sam, Benny has seen the light.......:D

Matt Hayes, isnt he the guy who is his Dentists worst advert:confused:

Benny you have a free invite, contact me when your coming down, ......and bring some spare hooks :eek:mg:

bennygesserit

Reaction score
Hey Sam, Benny has seen the light.......:D

Matt Hayes, isnt he the guy who is his Dentists worst advert:confused:

Benny you have a free invite, contact me when your coming down, ......and bring some spare hooks :eek:mg:

Much appreciated thank you :)

Graham Elliott 1

Reaction score
Mick. The robin was well looked after and visited from pm only.

Good day with 15 or so roach best over the pound.
2 chub to about 4lb and another perch...
Also 3 bream..2 around 4-5lb and 2 dace.
Strange that these bream and dace were 2 species not caught last visit out of 11 types!

Also few grayling. No spotties for me although pal Steve had a salmon about 7lb that would have been about 12 if it wasnt shaped like an eel. He also managed a 1.10 roach.

Lots roach caught but grayling not so active for all prob coloured high water reason for both.

Good weather a surprise. .
Graham

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro

Perfectly summed up...nothing I would add or change.If you have the misfortune to be there when they are really on then the only way to avoid them is not to cast in.

itsfishingnotcatching

Reaction score
It’s coming to that time of year again and Peter has kindly offered to arrange a booking with Lindsay at the fishery once availability/interest is established. For any unfamiliar with the fishery it holds all the usual chalk stream species, is very close to Southampton and looks a bit like this - Lower Itchen Fishery for fly fishing one of the finest chalk stream rivers

Hopefully the usual faces can make it, also some new ones.
Jerry

PS Last year's early December visit stayed dry even though Windy was with us and we all know how wet is was around that time.................

Names below please - as numbers are restricted it will be first come first served.

As Jerry worded it so well, it seemed easier to copy and paste this.

Following last year's good weather it may be wise to look at an October or early November date, so as Peter has, once more, kindly agreed to deal with Lindsey let's start with a list of names and provisional dates.

barbelboi

Reaction score
As Jerry worded it so well, it seemed easier to copy and paste this.

Following last year's good weather it may be wise to look at an October or early November date, so as Peter has, once more, kindly agreed to deal with Lindsey let's start with a list of names and provisional dates.

Ian, I did in fact speak to Peter about this a few weeks ago and he’s once again offered to make the necessary arrangements with Lindsay at the fishery. I’ll be starting a new thread shortly....................

mick b

Reaction score
Following last year's good weather it may be wise to look at an October or early November date.

Mmmmmm ?

This season the water is the clearest Ive ever seen it.
Early winter with a bit of wind and rain will improve opportunities immensely.

Anyone requiring on the spot info for a private visit pm me.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.