New member - rules confusion

Harry Andrew

Reaction score
Returning angler after a 40 yr absence. My local club says no spinning rods. My spinning rod ( as it was described when i bought it)has 3 interchangeable tips for different casting weights 0-10, 10-30,30-50. My rod is about 9ft 2" ...fine for ledgering? Feeder fishing? I.m so confused. Do I need to buy a dedicated feeder rod? Seems to be so much nomenclature stuff flying around.

Steve Arnold

Reaction score
Surely they just mean "no spinning"? But only the club officials could clarify that point, so many clubs come up with the weirdest rules!

When I started fishing my local river I found the most useful rod when ledgering for barbel and bream was an old 9.5' 45gr spinning rod. It has a test curve of about 1.7 lb, a lovely action and is just a good length when fishing under the many trees.

If you have to get a new rod there are plenty of budget feeder rods that will get you started. Shakespeare brand are useful even at the cheaper end of their range.

PS.....and welcome to this forum, plenty of good advice here!

nottskev

Reaction score
Surely they mean no fishing with spinning baits or artificial lures? As in this extract from the rules of one of the waters I fish

Abbey (2).jpg

Harry Andrew

Reaction score
'NO Feeder or Ledger rod to be used as a float rod, no spinning rod, beach rod, boat rod etc'...that s the wordingm

I.ve already asked them questions on free running ledger rig set ups which went down like a lead balloon, when I suggested a tiny knot in my twizzled boom would easily run through the ledger weight eye if i got snapped/ snagged... I dont want to inadvertently offend them. It was hinted at that i might need lessons. I get it, but I.m not daft! I.m old now and have been trying to digest the many different,new to me rigs and RULES out there.
Kite marked landing nets, holding a fish upside down when removing a hook etc ...how times have changed. I.m a dinosaur.

Philip

Reaction score
Sounds like they are getting dangerously close to a rule of "no rods" whatsoever.

Wonder what they would make of an "Avon" rod ?

Is there anywhere else you can fish ?

Last edited:

nottskev

Reaction score
have been trying to digest the many different,new to me rigs and RULES out there.......
holding a fish upside down when removing a hook etc

You can comply with that one by keeping the fish the same way up but standing on your head to unhook it.

A coarse fishery with strictures on beach and boat rods? Bizarre.

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
I’ve fished a few day ticket places that ban telescopic rods, mainly I believe to discourage Eastern European anglers.

Someone on the committee of your club seems to be rather fixated on petty rules and nonsense. I belong to a club that has a water with very large catfish and carp. They specify minimum b/s line, mat and net sizes and this is understandable, but it only covers those fishing for those species In my view this is completely acceptable, but telling you what rods you can use for what seems very dictatorial, almost like they want to micro-manage what you do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nottskev

Reaction score
I've just checked out the rules for a northern fishery associated by name with a famous sculptor and artist. I won't name him, but he's not gormless. They have something to say about not wanting sea anglers "converting" their gear for coarse fishing. Conceivably, there's some local context that explains the weird-looking rules?

@Clive

Reaction score
I've just checked out the rules for a northern fishery associated by name with a famous sculptor and artist. I won't name him, but he's not gormless. They have something to say about not wanting sea anglers "converting" their gear for coarse fishing. Conceivably, there's some local context that explains the weird-looking rules?
Would that be related to The Angler of the North? :)

Harry Andrew

Reaction score
You.re both correct...that is the fishery. They.ve bn very pleasant / patient when replying to my messages. I havent coarse fished for 40 yrs and things defo are different. I just dont want to muck my chances up of fishing there ...it.s quite near to where I live. Anyway, I.m gonna pop in and ask them further questions - at least they.ll see I.m reasonably sane ...hopefully. Thnx for your help.

Harry Andrew

Reaction score
Sounds like they are getting dangerously close to a rule of "no rods" whatsoever.

Wonder what they would make of an "Avon" rod ?

Is there anywhere else you can fish ?
Philip ...I.m looking now ... waiting for my new wellies to arrive ...still a few items short but practically there now. Thnx.

Alan Whitty

Reaction score
Harry, there are many, many clubs with outlandish rules, one I'm in insist on unhooking mats 36ins long, 26in minimum landing nets(ideal when you are roach and dace fishing), barbless hooks, new or rejoining members have to do an induction course with a bailiff before being allowed on a certain water and yet some bailiffs have little knowledge themselves...the world has gone mad...

Kevin aka Aethelbald

Reaction score
We're still relatively lucky. In Germany, they have to do 14 weeks of night classes before they even let you have a rod licence. And most of the rivers are sh1te, apparently.

@Clive

Reaction score
I thought the rules in Germany varied by State? In Spain certain regions demanded that you had to do a course, but if you had a rod licence from anywhere else in Europe that was enough to entitle you for a Spanish licence. They had dropped the requirement in Catalonia when I renewed last year.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Find a decent commercial, just basic common sense rules usually or free stretches, no rules at all except for common law ones. I have never liked clubs, I do belong to one which gratefully is pretty hands off but, fishing should be about freedom and enjoying yourself, not worrying about if you have adhered to rule 568b or something stupid. And then your going to have every other twit watching you all day to make sure you have. You say you want to really fish in this club, I would rather take up another hobby personally but I would seriously look for other fishing alternatives.

Harry Andrew

Reaction score
Harry, there are many, many clubs with outlandish rules, one I'm in insist on unhooking mats 36ins long, 26in minimum landing nets(ideal when you are roach and dace fishing), barbless hooks, new or rejoining members have to do an induction course with a bailiff before being allowed on a certain water and yet some bailiffs have little knowledge themselves...the world has gone mad...
Yeah, bit worried bout my landing net ...got an 18" one ...not interested carp, and would he fine for most fish i.m gonna catch. But, times have clearly changed. I.m trying to kp my bills down too.
Cheers bud