New member - rules confusion

@Clive

Reaction score
Yeah, bit worried bout my landing net ...got an 18" one ...not interested carp, and would he fine for most fish i.m gonna catch. But, times have clearly changed. I.m trying to kp my bills down too.
Cheers bud
I had a similar experience on a club lake near Wakefield. The rules said that the landing net had to be over 26", but they allowed me to have a second, much smaller net that could be used when fishing for crucians.

Alan Whitty

Reaction score
Yes, I omitted to say that Clive, but the hell with that, I carry the kitchen sink already so individual nets for various species isn't happening, the best rule of the club in question is the unhooking mat as they say it must be 1.5ins deep too, yet on two waters they don't allow use of your own landing nets and mats, the nets are too small for some of the carp and the mats are 0.5ins thick, shaking head smilie firmly stuck here.....

Philip

Reaction score
If I was ever on a fishery were the baliff started to measure the thickness of my mat with a tape measure he wouldnt need to kick me off as I would already be walking away on my own accord.

I literally could not stick it anymore...maybe a consquance of pretty much being able to do what I like on most of the venues I fish now, I dont know, I just know the idea of fishing shoulder to shoulder or being greeted by a board listing so many rules you just groan would kill it for me. Perhaps on one off occasions..taking a newbie for a day etc I could handle it but on an ongoing basis I doubt it.

I know some people wont have the choice & have to fish these places if they want to go angling but my goodness I would be seriously questioning whether I wanted to carry on when I hear some of the restrictions and things going on.

nottskev

Reaction score
The range of sizes of fish in some stills these days can mean you need two landing nets. I don't mind that. But it's a positive nuisance when, as with one place I fish, rules state NO nets below 36". Small and medium fish, including carp to mid double size are landed and returned much more quickly and efficiently in a smaller, solid framed net. Whether unhooked in the net or the net put straight on a mat, the fish can be unhooked and returned without leaving the net, and the net pushed out into water deep enough for it to right itself. Contrast this with the giant drawstring nets required by the rules: have to draw fish into the side, often into shallow water where the fish is on the bottom; have to detach net arms and roll up net to shorten it for lifting out and carrying; sort out fish and yards of mesh for unhooking; hard to use this type of net to return fish, so can end up handling the fish manually down slippy banks into shallow water ..... Be thankful if the rules allow you the choice of matching net size to fish size. One size definitely does not fit all, and what's claimed to be a measure to protect fish causes new problems.

Keith M

Reaction score
Yes, I omitted to say that Clive, but the hell with that, I carry the kitchen sink already so individual nets for various species isn't happening, the best rule of the club in question is the unhooking mat as they say it must be 1.5ins deep too, yet on two waters they don't allow use of your own landing nets and mats, the nets are too small for some of the carp and the mats are 0.5ins thick, shaking head smilie firmly stuck here.....

I totally agree, the unhooking mats they supply and insist on you using; are paper thin and the landing nets are far too small for some of the fish in the waters, plus you are not allowed to use your own far superior mats and landing nets because you can’t be trusted to dry them out properly after using your own.

If the supplied unhooking mats were padded and their landing net heads were a bit larger then it wouldn’t be such a problem; but even though the members are telling them this; the club appears to be turning a deaf ear.

Keith

Last edited:

@Clive

Reaction score
If I was ever on a fishery were the baliff started to measure the thickness of my mat with a tape measure he wouldnt need to kick me off as I would already be walking away on my own accord.

I literally could not stick it anymore...maybe a consquance of pretty much being able to do what I like on most of the venues I fish now, I dont know, I just know the idea of fishing shoulder to shoulder or being greeted by a board listing so many rules you just groan would kill it for me. Perhaps on one off occasions..taking a newbie for a day etc I could handle it but on an ongoing basis I doubt it.

I know some people wont have the choice & have to fish these places if they want to go angling but my goodness I would be seriously questioning whether I wanted to carry on when I hear some of the restrictions and things going on.
There are waters like that over here Philip. Usually they are owned and run by communes. One at Pressignac (16) has rules literally posted on every other tree, picnic tables situated too close to your swim for comfort given that they are used mainly by non anglers with children, dogs, etc., a snack bar and drinks bar. For the pleasure of obeying all the silly rules and putting up with holiday makers, local residents and the trades people using the bar at repas you pay €12 to fish. Nobody else pays for their use of the amenity. Nor are they bound by any rules.

mikench

Reaction score
I’m led to believe that many of the rules are to deter the morons who take things to extremes in matters of taking cans to the water, pileing in ground bait, spod mixes etc and playing loud music. It’s easier to ban ground bait altogether than to allow say 1 kilo per angler per day which is nigh on impossible to police particularly when the 5 kilos already spread out on the lake bottom cannot be easily weighed.😉🙈 . The mentality of some anglers beggars belief and would excite anthropologists. I mentioned in another thread about one of my clubs having to send an email to those members who possess such telling them that where toilets are provided it was obligatory to use them and not crap in the bushes and for the Neanderthals they were even told how to use the toilet. Unbelievable.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
Lymm AC and a few other clubs state that anglers must have toilet requirements with them . The simplest were a couple of carrier bags and wet wipes.
This was a blanket ruling covering day anglers as well as night anglers even those who fished canals .

Philip

Reaction score
Unfortunatly nothing messes up places quicker than human beings and rules end up being created for the lowest common denominator....which lets face it when it comes to what the general public can get up to is incredibly low !

steve2

Reaction score
Majority of rules are in place to protect tough as old boots carp. I have had run ins with my net sizes being too small although they are bigger than the required size just the wrong shape.

Alan Whitty

Reaction score
I had a club official suggest to me that the club were going to introduce a rule stating you needed a 36in landing net to fish for big barbel on their Ouse waters, I said have you ever had a barbel over 13lbs, or fished some of the swims on the Ouse where barbel live,your 36in net wouldn't fit in a fair few, it bores me when someone who knows nothing about the species being fished for, also in the most part anglers who fish today learnt how to look after barbel through experience, not the barbel society encyclopedia!!!

Last edited:

Kevin aka Aethelbald

Reaction score
I thought the rules in Germany varied by State?

They may well do. My friend is near Hanover and bemoans the lack of decent fishing over there. Mind you, he can hop in a camper van and be fly fishing in Norway within 24 hours, so it's not all bad.

Totally off-topic, but he also says that it's also the law to have your chimney and wood burning stove checked annually, for the requisite fee. But more than that, they even test the dampness of your fire wood and there's a penalty (can't remember what) if it's not dry enough.

Aknib

Reaction score
Totally off-topic, but he also says that it's also the law to have your chimney and wood burning stove checked annually, for the requisite fee. But more than that, they even test the dampness of your fire wood and there's a penalty (can't remember what) if it's not dry enough.

I work at a place that uses a bio-mass burner/boiler (wood pellet) along with open fires in the clubhouse (felled under licence timber) and we always check with moisture readers whether the wood we're burning is dry enough.

I don't know if it is actually law in the UK, i've a feeling there is something along the lines of a good practice 'directive' but i'm not sure if we adopted something form the EU, post-brexit, and we follow it and comply either way.

Damp wood is self defeating anyway... tarred chimneys and more frequent cleaning, general inefficiency and lower heat output etc.

Wood burning stoves frequently come under the control of someone, on narrowboats in the UK they will be examined as part of the four yearly Boat Safety Certificate which is required to have a boat on the waterway.

I've been tempted, having a felling licence and an un-exhaustible free supply, to install my own log burner at home but i've seen the work involved in feeding them, splitting logs with hydraulic, PTO driven log splitters and domestic electric versions and then seasoning wood, getting it there in the first place etc. and it's definitely not for me.

When time and transport is factored in as a cost along with the direct costs I doubt it's any better than dialling up the thermostat and letting the gas rip.

I still like the notion of it though, little beats the comfort of a real fire in the depths of Winter and sitting here now, eyeing up a sealed chimney breast, I wouldn't rule out getting my brickie gear out and opening it up for such purpose...

With a hidden lightbulb in place of the log burner to suggest heat :ROFLMAO:

@Clive

Reaction score
In France we are supposed to have the chimney professionally cleaned and the boiler serviced annually in case of an insurance claim. Regards fire wood; I buy it from a French bloke in the same village as us. €90 per cubic meter delivered, usually within ten minutes of me getting home after ordering it. The log burner was bought to be more decorative than anything, but 14kw blasting out in an evening warms the whole house. It certainly cuts our heating oil consumption considerably.

Kevin aka Aethelbald

Reaction score
I still like the notion of it though, little beats the comfort of a real fire in the depths of Winter and sitting here now, eyeing up a sealed chimney breast, I wouldn't rule out getting my brickie gear out and opening it up for such purpose...

Get the lump hammer out!

You're halfway there given you already have a chimney - a stainless steel flue (rising to 600mm above ridge height) costs more than the actual stove - but you still need to ensure that the flue is safe... it might need lining. (I'm guessing you know all this... apologies if I'm teaching you to suck eggs 😉 )

We have a fairly new Clearview wood burner that complies with whatever clean air regulations came into force a few years ago in the UK. I have it serviced and the chimney swept annually. I leave wood that I've cut to dry for at least two years after felling, but kiln-dried logs are not expensive, I think we paid £220.00 last November and the logs lasted through until March.

As far as I know, there are no actual laws in the UK that govern the use of wood burners, just the manufacture. Gove talks about banning them, but I doubt whether it's anything more than virtue signalling, given that the Tories want to maintain their tenuous grip of the Shires.

Remind me. What was the thread about... 😄

Philip

Reaction score
Regarding chimneys I have to pay a bloke to come once a year to clean it. As Clive says its linked to the house insurance being valid.

A couple of years ago I didnt use my Chimney at all yet I still needed to pay the bloke to do it. He turns up & sticks the brush up the chimney once, absolutly spotless, he said "its already clean" ...i said yes I just need the certificate....he laughed and said your not the only one....

Its a function of the world we now live in. Basically its job creation - I had to hire a "trained certified expert" at Chimney sweeping (who incidently couldnt even open my Chimney, I had to show him how to do it). He then gives me a certificate which will be uploaded I imagine to some admin system someone else has to manage.

So the act of sticking a brush up a chimney has created multiple jobs ;

- The Chimney sweep (trainined certified)
- The Chimney sweep trainers (who train the would be chimney sweepers)
- The certificate management system admin operators (who maintain the chimney certificate database & all the paper work)
- The Chimney sweep watchdog - bound to be some group or other that has to regulate & control all this

.....I have probably missed several other functions. Welcome to the new world :)

Last edited:

@Clive

Reaction score
Regarding chimneys I have to pay a bloke to come once a year to clean it. As Clive says its linked to the house insurance being valid.

A couple of years ago I didnt use my Chimney at all yet I still needed to pay the bloke to do it. He turns up & sticks the brush up the chimney once, absolutly spotless, he said "its already clean" ...i said yes I just need the certificate....he laughed and said your not the only one....

Its a function of the world we now live in. Basically its job creation - I had to hire a "trained certified expert" at Chimney sweeping (who incidently couldnt even open my Chimney, I had to show him how to do it). He then gives me a certificate which will be uploaded I imagine to some admin system someone else has to manage.

So the act of sticking a brush up a chimney has created multiple jobs ;

- The Chimney sweep (trainined certified)
- The Chimney sweep trainers (who train the would be chimney sweepers)
- The certificate management system admin operators (who maintain the chimney certificate database & all the paper work)
- The Chimney sweep watchdog - bound to be some group or other that has to regulate & control all this

.....I have probably missed several other functions. Welcome to the new world :)
You forgot the clerk who writes to Father Christmas telling him it is all clear :)

Steve Arnold

Reaction score
You forgot the clerk who writes to Father Christmas telling him it is all clear :)
Our latest bit of unworkable bureaucracy is due to the "pompe a chaleur" we had fitted a couple of years ago. It's basically a house heater that reverses for air-conditioning in the summer.

The government in France have been promoting and subsidizing these as they are remarkably energy efficient. Of course, the government has made it law to have them properly maintained. That means they have to be checked every two years, of course you cannot get an engineer to do this routine check as they are all too busy fitting new ones!

Just hope it does not break down as I guess the engineer will finally arrive and tell us it should have been checked/maintained and report us to the "pompe a chaleur" police! :rolleyes:

steve2

Reaction score
Don't be surprised if someone brings in a ULEZ charge for woodburners. Not being a scientist what is the difference between burning wood rather coal or coke.

sam vimes

Reaction score
There's an awful lot of context required to understand what may be going on with regard to this North East fishery. The thing that the majority on here will not appreciate at all is that every mile you go north of the river Tees, the further you advance towards a coarse fishing desert. This fishery is a coarse angling oasis in the heart of sea and game angling territory. Outside of a small core of dedicated coarse anglers, an awful lot of locals are clueless about coarse angling.

An awful lot of those North East anglers that wish to fish commercial type fisheries are still travelling to waters south of the Tees. Those that can't, or won't travel, don't have much choice outside of this one fishery. They are essentially the only show in town and are notoriously protective of their fishery. Few are travelling north any significant distance to get to the place. They have alternatives, with fewer restrictions, closer or little further away.

The harsh reality is that you can either choose to accept their rules or you can travel. What it's not is remotely representative of any club or commercial fishery rules in the broader north east. There is also greater reasoning behind most of their rules than may be obvious at first look. However, don't get the idea that this is a defence of the fishery in question. I wouldn't want to fish it if I could walk to it. Even if they relaxed their rules somewhat, it would still be a commie and I tend to avoid them.