Opinion Piece - The Angling Trust

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
My own Membership number is over 50,000, that's a minimum of 50,000 x £20.00p which equates to over £1,000,000

No Stealph, it doesn't work like that. What they have done is to reserve a load of numbers based on the alphabet. Can't remember your real name but if it was Viper, you be a really high number like me. There are, sadly, too many unallocated number so far.

On the other hand, I do agree with our SV almost wholeheartedly. It has to be voluntary and the board and workers MUST be seen to be doing a good job. We can all help publish the existence of Angling Trust simply by telling everyone we know and asking them to join, but we can also shame people, hopefully, that make lame excuses not to join.

It's down to us as much as anyone. FM is doing their bit, must be at least another 10 have joined since all of this news broke about the Trent. I wonder if the Angling Times and Anglers Mail are doing as much? And what about all the carp mags and Total Fishing mags? Come on boys, lets see some action!!!

Stealph Viper

Reaction score
I don't really see that adding a quid or two to tackle items over (Jeff's suggestion) of £100.00 could be called press ganging. £1.00 on every £100 is one penny for every £1.00

Paul, i was relating the Press Ganging to Compulsary Membership of the Angling Trust, not to a levy on Fishing Tackle.
The levy on Fishing Tackle would not be an Individual paying a membership fee, it would be purely a way of funding the AT, i would still be willing to pay £20.00p to help support the AT as an individual member regardless of a levy on fishing tackle.

---------- Post added at 12:25 ---------- Previous post was at 12:21 ----------

No Stealph, it doesn't work like that. What they have done is to reserve a load of numbers based on the alphabet. Can't remember your real name but if it was Viper, you be a really high number like me. There are, sadly, too many unallocated number so far.

Oh, BTW my name is Steph McKenzie :D

Ok, Woody, thanks for that, i didn't realise that it worked that way, so in theory there might only be 10,000 members but your membership number could still be 50,000 because of your surname.

Last edited:

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
This is exactly why i suggested asking the AT what they would like to do, if we compile a list of idea's, whether the AT visit this website or not and ask them for their opinions on the ideas, these would of course include Compulsary Membership whether it be tied in with the Rod license fees or with a levy on Fishing tackle, volunteers, free advertising by handing out fliers etc.

A brain storming session then! Duuuurrrrrr! :wh:confused:

---------- Post added at 12:32 ---------- Previous post was at 12:30 ----------

so in theory there might only be 10,000 members but your membership number could still be 50,000 because of your surname.

Yes, I don't know how it really works but mine is 46359.

Once upon a time when I used to devise these numbering things for company customer accounts we would spread the alphabet across say 99,999 numbers and then add a check digit on the end which ensured that you were dealing with the correct number. This was done using a system known as Modulus 11 (the best we found), where each individual number in the account number was multiplied by another single number factor. All the numbers were then added together and divided by 11, the remainder was the check digit. However (wake up everyone!!!) some numbers would leave a remainder of 10 and those account numbers couldn't be used because the account number would then be longer than the six digits allocated to hold it, ie: 5 numbers +1 check digit? So out of 99,999 you could only use perhaps 88,000 or so numbers. Clear? Now I will ask questions...... ;)

Stealph Viper

Reaction score
Brain Storming ................ i prefer to call it Food for Thought.

Here's an idea .......... what do you think of it .................. and would it help.

klik2change

Reaction score
my surname is goddard and i am 50908....?

---------- Post added at 19:41 ---------- Previous post was at 19:41 ----------

was there a power cut at 11.48? why no more posts?

Ruth Lockwood

Reaction score
-Totals as at Sept 31st: 10450 Individuals, (includes350 Juniors, 1616 life members).
1059 Clubs, 45 Riparian Owners, 12 Commercial Fisheries, 2 Tackle Retailers
-Minimum recruitment requirement for AT to progress since re-structuring:
700 members, 40 clubs per month.........aim for year one should be 15000 individuals and 1500 clubs and more importantly, retain membership in year 2.

With costs greatly reduced, the support of high profile anglers and the benefit of a voluntary advisory team in place, the basic infrastructure to gather opinion, dictate and drive agenda is coming together. With specific reference to ideas from FM and other community forums I have 2 trains of thought....it is an impossible job for AT to read and respond to every forum.......we either have a private AT members forum or AT creates an IT Forum where representatives from the existing forums can engage with AT, IT advice, ideas on direction, views of their members etc etc. Your thoughts truly valued on this one.

None of this will be easy, and the drive has to come from the ground now. John Wilson has basically kicked the doors of the castle, asked a few pertinent questions, established a way forward and is looking for members of the angling community to assist in developing the Angling Trust into the strong representative voice that anglers deserve and can be proud of. But it needs our help in lots of ways and subscribing as an individual member is the first and most important one!!

For those interested in the full list of voluntary resources and services in kind required at this time, please contact me echocarp@hotmail.com

In unity lies strength
www.anglingtrust.net

Bluenose

Reaction score
I may be wrong but I've got a feeling that new AT members were/are just being added on to the old ACA member numbers. Hence new AT members now are in the 50K region for their membership number because there were 40K ACA members and are now + 10K new AT members.

Stealph Viper

Reaction score
If the Angling Trust were to send me out 1000 fliers i would be more than willing to drop them in at my Local Fishing Tackle shops and ask them to put one in to each customers bag.
Obviously i would meet the shop owners and ask if they would be willing to hand these fliers out to their customers, but, if they were willing it would be a start.

I am sure that other members of FM would be willing to do so also.

Let me know what you think.

Last edited:

Ruth Lockwood

Reaction score
My understanding at the time of AT merger was that ACA had 7000 ish members (don't quote me but I will check in the next few days!) the point being membership numbers rarely relate to membership figures in any group, but in terms of perception its misleading at times.

Stealph Viper

Reaction score
Why isn't their a advertisement on the AT website requesting Volunteers with a list of positions available that would help out their workload.
Is it just that they don't have the capacity to answer the applicants applying for the Voluntary positions.

Ruth Lockwood

Reaction score
SV thats a brilliant idea, and to save postage AT does have a team of regional representatives to meet up an provide you with this type of support/info etc.
Local RO's are listed under ADB section on Angling Trust site. Give yours a call, offer that help and ask for them to provide you with leaflet as a start.
AT is currently working on an incentive scheme for tackle shops to recruit AT members on Direct Debit........keep you posted on that...........but in the meantime, more power to your elbow.......and if the shop wants to learn more or contribute ideas.......put them in touch with the RO........and from small acorns...!!
Thank you for your support.
Ruth

---------- Post added at 12:31 ---------- Previous post was at 12:25 ----------

In response to advertising for volunteers........immediately they need help in the office to do so......as people come forward, communication will improve in a matter of weeks, and further needs will arise in order of their importance, but in the meantime we all need to concentrate on making small steps forward together......thanks again

Stealph Viper

Reaction score
ok, i had to go on to the website to see what RO stood for (Regional Officers) imagine how stupid i would have looked if i had asked you :D

Thanks for the info, i will get in touch with them in the morning.

klik2change

Reaction score
Are the figures available for each county's level of membership?
I live in Lincolnshire and as far as I can tell most of the locals have never been to Lincoln never mind heard that anything exists outside the county. They seem to think they'll fall off the edge of the [flat] earth at the county borders...
Perhaps I am exaggerating just a mite...?

Reaction score
Perhaps I am exaggerating just a mite...?

No....son's based on the edge of Lincolnshire...I know the truth!!

Seriously

This is an excellent point...I imagine there is a county by county breakdown for the membership database. This can be used to identify areas/regions where a targeted approach to denser areas of angling population would achieve a quicker upsurge of memberships.

dezza

Reaction score
Be aware guys of the vitriol being spouted right now against the Angling Trust by members of our sister website: Fly Forums.

This sort of thing saddens me greatly.

Are you aware of this Ruth?

Life Member Angling Trust

---------- Post added at 22:05 ---------- Previous post was at 21:06 ----------

See:

http://flyforums.co.uk/showthread.php?p=549979#post549979

Last edited:

904_cannon

Reaction score
Durham City, Co Durham ... STILL The Land of The P
Be aware guys of the vitriol being spouted right now against the Angling Trust by members of our sister website: Fly Forums.

See:

The old saying about being able to choose your friends but not your relatives has never been truer, Ron.

I've given up offering help Ruth ... all the time in the world and very little to do.

Last edited:

Ruth Lockwood

Reaction score
We are all connected through rod and line to fish......and it is that connection that should unite us not divide us as members of the Angling Trust.

Any assistance to populate the information below to your local tackle shops/commercial fisheries would be appreciated at this time.

REGISTER AS AN ANGLING TRUST RECRUITMENT CENTRE

Simply call Angling Trust 08447 700616 to register your business.
A membership package will be sent to you, containing leaflets, display stand and stickers.

EARN COMMISSION

Encourage your customers to join Angling Trust
Return completed forms with recruiter information clearly displayed on each one
AT will pay recruitment centres £5 for Direct Debit applications and
£3 Cheque/Card applications monthly (option to donate commission to AT)

pottergreg

Reaction score

See:

this also saddens me ron

TAKEN FROM FLYFISH FORUMS SITE (angling trust thread)

An alarmist myth ?????

On the river Wear we too have problems with big barbel/chub being slaughtered, sometimes by the otter, but mostly by ... ignorant, uneducated, 'Neanderthal like' game '?anglers?'

Hopefully the new byelaw's, of which the AT had some little part to play, will put an end to the Neanderthal component part.

When this (return of coarse fish to rivers) was first proposed by the EA here in the NE there was such an outcry of venomous bile from some game anglers in the meeting you'd have thought their granny's had been raped; WHAT, you mean we wont be able to kill these vermin that are polluting OUR river???
No apologies for straying off subject or for the language used, a few home-truth's always helps to clear the air, Paul.

Finally, a quote from the ex Secretary of BA&DAC; " I have had more help and advise from NAFAC (now part of the A.T.) in one phone call than in all the years we (BA&DAC) have been a member of the S&TA!!! He advised the Board that BA&DAC become a member of NAFAC (I actually have the Word document, given to me by a Company Board member)

and ruth are you aware of this above

apathy will ruin AT,but blatant arrogant segregation will kill it before it even gets something like running properly, i have been a coarse fisherman for more than 40 years having the odd dabble in fly fishing now and again , i have taken it more seriously as of the last couple or so years as having something other to do than walking banks spotting fish etc etc ,i have never in all my years seen a fly angler treat fish in the way mr hepworth describes and a man in his position should know better than creating segregation which will undermine all the good work that the trust and other groups are trying to achieve,i am a member of the trust and previously of the ACA,i have fished for barbel and chub for most of my years fishing ,the trust simply cannot afford to have members or member groups involved with such a mind set as above ,we are as ruth said above connected by rod and line to our sport no matter what species we fish for ,with out unity for angling as a whole as fraser of dads army said "were all doomed" !!

i will leave it at that for you to make your own minds up..

ps ...ron just who is guilty of vitriol ???????

cocojak

Reaction score
"Whingeing Pom's" bleatings are so full of innaccuracies and untruths that I am truly astonished.

What negates his rantings even more is the fact that he lacks any moral fibre whatsoever and refuses to tell us who he is. An utter coward is all I see here. I was always taught from being very young that if you can't put up - shut up!

Ron Clay:

http://www.flyforums.co.uk/showthread.php?t=47976&page=14

I am introducing myself to your forum, as Mr Clay has been reporting on the discussions on the Fly forums and posting links to one of our pages. I make no apologies, I am one of the most vocal opponents of the AT. And my views feature heavily on that page
I am not trying to gain any converts or rattle any cages on your forum. My views are plain enough in my postings. I just don’t believe that people are not joining due to just apathy, or because they don’t care about angling.
I have no ill will to AT members nor to coarse fishermen, but I do think these two (clay and Hepworth) are being disingenuous to you with the contents and nature of the postings on FFF, and it should be pointed out.
In fact Mr Clay and Mr Hepworth must be congratulated. They have managed to get the most vocal pro AT poster’s (Like Barbusbruce above) and unite them with the anti AT posters , they have achieved more converts than I could ever manage. They have taken a constructive and informative discussion and turned the division into a unity of people strongly opposing them and there devisive tactics and insults.

Just to add I am not some tweed wearing old fop from a chalk stream, I also fish for chub and pike, and was as riled as anyone when my favorite Perch water: Esthwaite. Was made into a big trout pond,
And I am also an AT member.
I know some of you are fond of Mr Clay over in your Forum. Please try and keep him, he’s wasted on us!
The Whingeing pom

For more Ron clay gems:http://www.flyforums.co.uk/showthread.php?t=47976&page=20

Last edited:

904_cannon

Reaction score
Durham City, Co Durham ... STILL The Land of The P
barbusbruce.

Every word in that post is true.

To accuse me of promoting '"blatant arrogant segregation" could not be further from the truth. I'm in no way defending my post, I don't have to, but before you go 'quoting' me again then please get the facts right.

In my own club, DCAC, we have a mixed coarse/game membership and in all the years I have been associated with it I can honestly say there has not been any conflict, indeed I have fought on several occasions to keep a maggot ban on a section of water we have in order to preserve the fishing for the game anglers. My club is probably one of the few on the Wear where this happy relationship does exist. No separate membership rates/category of membership, every member pays the same.

I strongly suggest its not me who's the one wanting segregation, they really have to be seen (and heard) to be believed.

I am not 'anti' game, and up to the time when my mobility became severely limited I was, although I say it myself, a very accomplished fly fisherman and have taken sea trout to 14lb, not that has any bearing on your ignorant (of the facts) comments.

There are others using this forum who attended the same EA meeting to which I refer..FACT not something made up by an arrogant segregationist.

In 2006 I contacted several game clubs/syndicates on the Wear in order to get access to their waters for a CSG weekend held on the river. Some did give permission, with reservations and conditions attached, whilst others came back with the reply, even thought the weekend was in November (to avoid any conflict with salmon sea trout fishing) 'we do not approve of coarse fishing'!!!! even though some of my clubs water is on the opposite banks to theirs??? Presumably they don't approve of my club either, although we let their members use our parking facility to access some of their waters.

Another game club even refused the EA permission to use its section of the river to hold the anual Wear Championships competition which it uses to gather data for its management of the river, the EA also does this on the Tyne, without any problems.

On another occasion, just by way of a chance conversation with a customer (he told me he'd just been made a life member of his angling club) I asked whether there were any grayling in the small river he fished (the river Browney) GOD NO he said, were a game club, we don't want those bloody things in OUR river!!
Sad news for Mr Life Member, the EA stocked several 1000's one year fish into HIS river two years ago, and they are now flourishing.

Since I posted the above a friend who fishes higher up the river has been physically attacked by three game anglers for no other reason ...than being a coarse angler, he's also a b£oody good game angler.

Sorry for not replying sooner but I've been away, fishing the upper Severn, where strangely the game anglers I met don't have a problem with coarse fish. Considering yesterday was the last day of their season they were more than happy to coexist.

To quote whingeing pom "I am one of the most vocal opponents of the AT". he then goes on the say "And I am also an AT member" Makes perfect sense, as clear as pea soup :confused:

However W.P. thank you for elevating me to the level of Mr Ron Clay; not in my wildest dreams could I ever envisage myself being talk of in the same breath as Ron.

I'll finish with this:

Some years ago I was secretary of the 'River Wear Fisheries Improvement Ass' a body representing all clubs with fishing on the river to the EA. During the writing of the Constitution some delegates actually objected to the fact that those delegates representing clubs with coarse anglers would have the same voting rights as those from clubs who had game anglers as members!! I kid you not. Just by coincidence those very same people were the ones shouting, very loudly, at the EA meeting against having to return coarse fish to the river!!

Last edited: