origin of close season?

S

Steve Reeves

Can anyone tell me when the close season for coarse fish was first introduced? And what were the original reasons for a coarse fish closed season?
When did salmon anglers stop culling coarse fish ? Or do they still do it on some rivers?

R

Rob Brownfield

Salmon anglers still cull Roach and Grayling on the Tay system in Scotland. As for Pike, well, they are still killed on Loch Awe and Lomond by the salmon trollers, although there is definetly a change of heart happening thanx to certain individuals and clubs up here. its about time game anglers realised that it i man that has damaged the salmon stocks, not pike, perch, seals, otters etc.!! Ooops...sorry, I will get of my soap box now.

I was fishing a place called Lanark Loch for carp one weekend and had caught several low doubles when a car pulled up and two salmon anglers got out and came to talk to me. The river was flooded and they decided to try and catch some Perch. Of they went to fish. An hour later they came back with a plastic bag in there hands. The bigger of the two preceeded to remove a common of about 16 pounds and asked me what it was. When i told him it was a carp that had been stocked into the water by the Scottish Carp Group and that he had just killed one of the bigger fish in the water...he just shrugged, dropped it in the margins and said, *well, it'll be no use for the cat then* and walked off. We get this attitude all the time :eek:(

S

Steve Reeves

You should have thrown HIM in, but not the margins, the deep end!!!!!

S

Stewart Bloor

Or fed him to the cat...'Would you like to come to my house and meet Shere Khan...'
Seriously, I guess there's still some way to go in terms of education within angling.

R

Ron Clay

The origin of the close season stems from the Mundella Act of 1878. Mundella was a Sheffield MP who was lobbied by several angling clubs in Sheffield to help protect what were termed "freshwater fish" form overfishing. In those days virtually every coarse fish caught wasw killed. There was all kinds of problems in actually setting the date for the close season. The organisation of the act was then left under the auspices of the very exclusive Piscatorial Society of London and finally pushed through parliament with very little debate, much to the displeasure of several major clubs.
For those who can get a copy of Angling Star - May 1999 there is an article of mine describing hoe the Mundella Act of 1878 came into being.

S

Stewart Bloor

Ron, if he was from Nelson in Lancs instead of Sheffield in Yorkshire, would we now be dealing with Nelson Mundella...

R

Ron Clay

Now steady on Stewart. Don't get me started on Nelson Mandela jokes. Some of them are not suitable to tell to a man in your position

R

Ron Clay

Nelson Mandela is probably the greatest man born in Africa who ever lived. Yes I have met him. I also used to teach fly casting and fly tying to Cyril Rhamaposa, one of the wealthiest people in Africa

P

Phil Husselbury

Dear All,

I love reading these debates and seeing how long it takes you chaps to go from the original question to a totally unrelated but equally fascinating subject. The passing from Close Season legislation to African statesmanship was better than the passing of Liverpool's all conquering 1980s sides (be interesting to see what effect this football reference has on you West Midlands lads. Being Wolves and west Brom fans, do you understand the term passing?)(The words cat and pigeons immediately sprang to mind)Have to agree re: Nelson Mandela. A great man and a gentleman.

Best Wishes and tight lines to all with a serious tongue in cheek! (Sadly, it's my own tongue but there's always hope)

S

Stewart Bloor

The Boingers (West Brom) need a CLOSE SEASON so they can give their fans a rest from the drivel they turn out every week....there you are Phil...back to the original thread of CLOSE SEASON...

P

Phil Husselbury

Dear Stewart,

I admire your honesty re: West Brom. I also like very much your column every week. As an exiled Staffordshire lad, I enjoy Postcards from the Sedge very much.The banter between you and the rest of the boys is the star of the show though. Looking forward to the new season, have a word with the boss, will you? A new PB barbel shouldn't be out of his reach, should it?

Cheers. Phil.

S

Stewart Bloor

Phil, again, thanks for your comments, very much appreciated...by the way, what is your pb barbel?...oh, no here we go again, getting off the thread...

P

Phil Husselbury

Stewart,

A miserable 3lb. That was on a stillwater on an even more miserable February day but on a pole and 18 hook, single caster, it woke me up pretty quickly. I think everyone has a bogey species (like West Brom have 90 odd bogey teams!!) and barbel are mine. Used to be tench but I seemed to have caught my fair share over the last few years. Thanks again.

Phil.

S

Stewart Bloor

Phil (and we're REALLY going off the track here BIG time)...just the thing for you...A month or so ago, Graham Marsden and myself were talking about plans to do some fishing teach in type of events and the first one we planned towards was a barbel one, aimed at folks like yourself. Obviously, it's on hold due to the Foot and Mouth situation, but when everything clears up, details will be posted on FM...anyway, it's the CLOSE SEASON now so we can't do any river fishing (Thought I'd get back to the thread)

S

Stewart Bloor

Must clarify..when I say 'folks like yourself' I don't mean that in a derogatory way, just pitching it at people that have never caught a barbel or else have had just the odd one or two

P

Phil Husselbury

Stewart,

Believe me, when it comes to barbel fishing, feel free to be as derogatory as you like, it's fully justified!! Remember, I'm a Staffordshire lad so you'll have to get up early to insult me.
I'd absolutely LOVE to take part in a barbel teach-in. Just to meet Graham would be an honour, it was his video that weaned me off the canals into bream fishing. The barbel teach-in would be great for your column, too.

S

Stewart Bloor

'Just to meet Graham would be an honour'....
...he's larger than life Phil, all 4' 11'' of him...but just one tip, leave your wallet at home, he'll gladly relieve you of its contents in the pub afterwards....Actually, we can talk about him all we want..he's at the NEC all weekend, and by the time he gets back he won't read any of these threads...

P

Phil Husselbury

Sorry Stewart, but to my mind he's a giant. Anybody who can tackle theose Cheshire and Staffordshire meres and relieve them of double figure bream can't be all bad. And he's having to spend a whole weekend in Birmingham, he deserves sympathy (I mean the NEC, I'm not insulting Birmingham!! although I could because they don't speak English anyway!!!).

Anyway, every successful angling side has a Gizza (ie: Gizza hook, gizza float, etc). I think it's the NFA contract somewhere.

Tell wou what, I'll sign up for the barbel teach-in and give him a fair trial. How's that?