Pike or jack?

theartist

Reaction score
Bertie Berbel is an extreme, it does sound a bit naff but big deal, some if not most of the other nicknames aren't, they are romantic at worst, a few of the posts on here are a bit negative to say the least and a bit pretentious, sorry to be to the point but any enthusiastic youngster reading this would think what a bunch of grumpy bastards. I'm also sure great angling works of literature and some of the TV series we hold dear also feature these alternative monikers but that's not good enough for some of you lot, crikey :LOL:

It was a thread about Jack Pike and you can't call them Jack Pike - Really?

nottskev

Reaction score
"Snotties" would be one of mine. I've often come home after a netful of bream clean - you pick them out your net "by the ears", and in any case proper bream are often slime free. A big catch of sacred roach, on the other hand, often leaves me plastered in slime, and anyone who thinks it doesn't smell is not catching enough.

"Silver fish" is another, as if there are carp and the other species are too inconsequential to name.

Notts Michael.

Reaction score
So which of the many made up names really irritate you ?

As a former would be zander angler I paricularly dislike the term "zed" , I am not fussed about tench being referred to as " tincas" or even worse as " judies" but the one that really, really annoys me is "beards" for barbel.
Stripey's, Sergeants or Wasps for Perch!

rayner

Reaction score
Skimmers and jacks apart I struggle to call alternative names for species. OK, Nicknames are known but all sound more than a little foolish.
for me, I think the correct name is plenty good enough, a jack is probably 5lb, skimmer I go on colour, a bream is bronze skimmer silver.

nottskev

Reaction score
On the subject of traveling as an angler, the above brought it home to me, that it always worth taking a pocketbook of European fish with you, You can use it to show both the fish itself and scientific name to fellow anglers that may not understand you or yours or their langue.

I was staying with Lithuanian friends - they have a carp and tench pond on their land to provide fish for the table - and on a drive around the area my host was telling me about some good fish in the pre-war German-built canal we parked up by. With a bit of English, Lithuanian, Russian, Latin and pictures, we agreed these were crucian carp. We're not the only country where these fish are loved.

John Aston

Reaction score
I love the French for grayling - 'L'Ombre' ( the shadow ) . I share the dislike expressed above of Lady of the Stream, and words fail me re Judie for tench . Err..it's Judi surely ?

theartist

Reaction score
L'Ombre - The french for Grayling is ok But Lady of the stream is not? What a load of pretentious hypocritical bollax, I wonder what the french for that is on Le Peche Magique - Pathetique?

sam vimes

Reaction score
Well, it may not be meteorological winter just yet, but this thread does indeed whiff of a forum in winter. It's definitely winter in my world, I'm getting sick of catching grayling/ladies of the stream/Thymallus thymallus* (*choose whichever offends you least/pleases you most) already. I'm not a poet, nor a classicist/scientist, I'll be sticking with grayling, but definitely not greyling, heaven forbid.

nottskev

Reaction score
L'Ombre - The french for Grayling is ok But Lady of the stream is not? What a load of pretentious hypocritical bollax, I wonder what the french for that is on Le Peche Magique - Pathetique?

I believe GB News are looking for an angling correspondent. As well as an audience. Ability to put a parochial spin on everything essential.

John Aston

Reaction score
It's an opinion , that's all . Sorry for not knowing my place and forgetting that the use of even a single French word is pretentious. Mea culpa . Oops .