pole fishing

cormorant

Reaction score
ive been thinking of trying pole fishing after 40 years of using a rod and reel, but have been reading about broken top kits and lost top sections how often does this happen? i dont want to spend a lot of money and keep having to buy spares all the time, or is it just bad luck and or sloppy technique?,ta.

Wobbly Face (As Per Ed)

Reaction score
Usally bad luck, I once lost top two to a carp, faulty joint section.
I did have to go in after several but sections, my fault as fishing with high bank behind me and I had shipped the pole up the banking only for it to slide into the water as I was rebaiting the hook.
Some of the cheeper poles are quite strong and also cheeper to replace any bits.
I have heard of sections breaking or cracking, probable due to clumsyness.
Don't be put off, a great way to fish though not everybodies cup of tea.

jimmy crackedcorn

Reaction score
Start with something cheap, and for that I'd recommend a middy white knuckle margin pole. Two top kits, both elasticated tough as old boots and costs around £40 for the lot. I bought one as I was mainly fishing margins and lugging around 13m of carbon plus cupping kits etc became a chore. Choose where you learn to fish a pole carefully ie plenty of room behind you and dont try and and stick your rig under a over hanging branch straight away - it probably wont end well. But I'm no expert....

I've still broke two sections on my shimano technium, once shipping back into a fence post (at speed and thinking it was stuck on the roller) and once to try and stop me falling in (!) one very cold winter morning on its second outing. £40 to replace a number 4 or 5 section isnt the earth and shimano poles come with 2 years warrenty as well as long as you dont tell them that you used it as a safety aid.

As I said I'm no expert............

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
It isn't easy, but the only way to master the pole is to practice, some days you will think why did I buy this bl***y thing, others you may catch where others don't. Basically it's like starting from scratch , a whole new angling method, but I learned a lot from simply watching other pole anglers, you soon see the pitfalls, and the advantages . A good 2nd hand 11m pole would be a good starter pole, but beware, it becomes a bit addictive, and the pole you really want is £gazillions..........

Just looked at the new Garbo 16m.Hmmm, Car? or pole?...............

matt68

Reaction score
Last year i bought a Maver Genesis 12.5m, did not cost the earth at £210 with two power kits elasticated for that price, it's quite light for a budget pole at only 690gr at 11mtr!..

It's fine for the type of fishing i do, it was out of three poles for me, the other two were the Map TKS 125 and the Maver Jurassic carp, all of a simular price!..

Good luck!

Matt...

fred hall

Reaction score
Hi cormorant
Some sound advice above - I would just add the following
1) don't try to fish a long pole to begin with, 11 metres absolute tops
2) figure out before you go how you are going to set out your seat and the rest of your gear. Unlike rod and reel fishing it isn't so easy to be moving about with a pole.
3) make sure your first pole fishing session is on a venue, and at a time, where you have a very good chance of plenty of bites. A well stocked commercial in a couple of months time would seem sensible to me.
I know some anglers think pole fishing is only for the mindless match fishing masses. Just not true IMHO - it is different from rod and reel fishing but once you see that elastic zipping out of the top of your pole..........

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
Remember at all times, a pole doesn't play the fish, the elastic does. If you try to bully a fish with the pole it will break, let the elastic do all the work.

If you knock the pole on something hard it could cause a hairline crack which may break at a later date, so always handle it with kid gloves.

Always try to sit with as straight a back as possible, don't lean over the pole it will make your back very sore.

Set yourself out for maximum comfort and try not to fish using the last section, it is always the heaviest.

Poles are a joy to fish with regardless of what some cynics will tell you, just another tool in the anglers armoury. Try to buy the best you can afford and if you buy secondhand you usually get spare top 3's but spares may not be available if it is too old.

Last edited:

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
Have a read through these - part one - & - part two

Perhaps a margin pole is the best thing to start with, not very expensive even for a top quality one and it always comes in useful later, but often it is all you require.

Another tip is when playing a fish (this may be in the article, I forget) and it runs off, stick the tip of the pole under water and the fish will come back. I don't know why, it does and will save many a top kit from breaking.

maver man

Reaction score
If you are thinking of starting pole fishing i have 2 poles up for sale 1x Middy white knuckle margin pole and a 9m Daiwa Maxim put over pole.
The Middy pole has a repaired 4th section and have had carp to 16lb 14oz on it with grade 18 elastic on the power top kit which is a shimano power top kit as apposed to the one supplied with the pole, on the match top kit it has grade 8 elastic and i have a Middy DNA universal top kit with 18 elastic for it.
The Daiwa pole is rather heavy at 9m but you can hold it at 8m fine all day and is fitted with no.19 elastic.
If you are interested pm me for details, i will also through in a few spools of elastic ranging from 8-18.

Regards,

Adam.

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
"Another tip is when playing a fish (this may be in the article, I forget) and it runs off, stick the tip of the pole under water and the fish will come back. I don't know why, it does and will save many a top kit from breaking. "

If you have a hard pulling carp on it is best to maintain a slight angle between the fish and the end of the pole, about 25 degrees but never ever in a straight line as this can result in the top three being pulled off, it is amazing how quickly carp will submit when they are pulling against an elastic.

cormorant

Reaction score
thanks to all for info, im going to give it ago, one other query what size elastic for carp from 3 to 12lb,

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
If you have a hard pulling carp on it is best to maintain a slight angle between the fish and the end of the pole, about 25 degrees but never ever in a straight line as this can result in the top three being pulled off, it is amazing how quickly carp will submit when they are pulling against an elastic.
Quite, sorry Graham, I'd assumed he would have done that also.

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
Size 12 is adequate for most situations and at most a 14 if they are animals. I have landed 10 carp quite easily on a size 6-8 but it wasn't through choice, much better to use a 12 which tires them out quicker.

cormorant

Reaction score
Size 12 is adequate for most situations and at most a 14 if they are animals. I have landed 10 carp quite easily on a size 6-8 but it wasn't through choice, much better to use a 12 which tires them out quicker.

thanks mate will get some and give it a go this week as long as the lake doesnt freeze up again, just seen the forecast winter woolies again,

jimmy crackedcorn

Reaction score
Go with a hollow elastic - daiwa is the best (and most expensive) but middy and maver do cheaper varieties, which I use. Go for one 8-10 or 10-12 (hollow elastics are rated like that ie 8 to 10 , 12 -14 etc etc) which will give you a bit more finnese and flexability when you arent catching carp.

cormorant

Reaction score
top3 ?

can i thread my elastic thro the top 3 as my winder bung wont fit in the second section?

slb

Reaction score
Probably easier to answer all the questions you have (and will have!) if you can watch someone else fishing the pole properly, or watch a DVD.
Shameless plug 'cause I sell loads of pole fishing films, but I also have some free bits like this: YouTube- Stafford Silvers

That may answer some questions and will show you can catch loads of fish by fishing with a short pole.

To answer some of your more specific questions:

1. Poles are always broken by anglers, not by fish. So breaking a pole will be down to sloppy fishing or poor technique or both.
2. For carp from 3-12lb at this time of year I would be happy with a solid No8 or 10 or a hollow equivalent. Carp will not really fight at the minute unless you stick the pole in the air and try to rip their heads off. Keep the tip right down next to the water and they will simply follow as you ship back slowly. The only time you will need the strength in the elastic is when you lift the top kit to try to net them.
That will take practise and if you are in any doubt about the amount of pressure you're putting on, drop the top back down and point it at the fish. It will soon calm down again and you will feel the elastic retract and will have another chance to lift and net the fish.
3. You can put your elastic through the top 3, but it would be better to remove the No1 section completely and only elasticate the No2 & 3. You may need to buy a larger bush, but your elastic will work much better for it.
Alternatively, buy a smaller winder bung. There are some on the market that will fit into a No2 section. Ask your local tackle dealer for help if you have to.

Any more questions, don't be afraid to drop me a PM and I'll answer in more detail.