pole fishing

cormorant

Reaction score
the size of my 2nd section is only 10mm at butt so i dont think i m going to get a bung that size am i? as for removing top section and fitting bung to 2nd, my first thought was wont it affect the action of the rod! but its a pole! (as i said earlier im new to the pole) and i suppose its not the pole that has to bend but the elastic that fights the fish? am i right in this thinking or not?

slb

Reaction score
You are absolutely correct in saying that the elastic has to do the work. A bend in the pole tip will hinder that, hence cutting back a lot or removing the No1 section.
I'm surprised at the diameter of your No2 section. You may struggle to find a winder bung to fit that.
The ones I used to use when elasticating top twos are made by Fox. They were very small and ideal for No2, 3 and 4 elastics.

cormorant

Reaction score
ta

You are absolutely correct in saying that the elastic has to do the work. A bend in the pole tip will hinder that, hence cutting back a lot or removing the No1 section.
I'm surprised at the diameter of your No2 section. You may struggle to find a winder bung to fit that.
The ones I used to use when elasticating top twos are made by Fox. They were very small and ideal for No2, 3 and 4 elastics.

thanks for that info, i also need a ext bush around 6.5 mm to fit the 2nd section top which i cant find bigger than 5.5mm, so i guess i will leave a small section of the 1st section on, fit a bush to that and have a top 2 and a half! will get there in the end just hope its worth it.

slb

Reaction score
You could do it like that, or try an internal bush. Internal is generally neater, gives fewer problems with tangles and helps the elastic work better, too.

cormorant

Reaction score
ta

You could do it like that, or try an internal bush. Internal is generally neater, gives fewer problems with tangles and helps the elastic work better, too.

good thinking batman will give it a try

ajwajw

Reaction score
hi cormorant, pole fishing is as hard or as easy as you want to make it.it is just another tool in your bag so to speak. there are lots of dvds out there for beginners, but your best bet is your local tackle shop. they will have every thing you need and will even elasticate your top kits for a small fee.most anglers on the bank fishing a pole will be more than happy to help if you approach them right. have a look on the prestoninnovations web site for a few ideas in the mean time. if you still struggle for info give me a shout and i will be more than happy to help

---------- Post added at 16:47 ---------- Previous post was at 16:42 ----------

v2v Steve, was that you at goldvalley a few months ago doing a article with william, (think it was anglers mail) and the underwater camera ?

slb

Reaction score
[/COLOR]v2v Steve, was that you at goldvalley a few months ago doing a article with william, (think it was anglers mail) and the underwater camera ?

Depends when it was Andy, if it was last June and we had a camera in the edge on Middle Lake, I was there. If it was since then it would have been Brian on his own.
Think Bri did one for the Mail and some competition winners with Daiwa poles, perhaps it was that day?

cormorant

Reaction score
today

well give the pole a try out today the first half hour i felt like throwing it in the lake (shipping out maggot and hemp freebies i kept bouncing it out ! it went everywhere expect where it was supposed to go) but took a deep breath and settled down took my time and got there in the end and caught a good few roach and perch/skimmers, now i cant wait to try the margins in the summer for a few bigger carp, thanks to everyone for there help.

jimmy crackedcorn

Reaction score
Cupping it, especially in the wind and at distance is not an easy task for a beginner (I struggle) so well played for sticking it out. If you can fish with it in this weather, fishing the margins will be a breeze.

cormorant

Reaction score
ta

Cupping it, especially in the wind and at distance is not an easy task for a beginner (I struggle) so well played for sticking it out. If you can fish with it in this weather, fishing the margins will be a breeze.

enjoyed it in the end its nice to try something new ive been fishing for over 40 years and you think youve seen it all! who said you cant teach an old dog new tricks ha ha .

matt68

Reaction score
well give the pole a try out today the first half hour i felt like throwing it in the lake (shipping out maggot and hemp freebies i kept bouncing it out ! it went everywhere expect where it was supposed to go) but took a deep breath and settled down took my time and got there in the end and caught a good few roach and perch/skimmers, now i cant wait to try the margins in the summer for a few bigger carp, thanks to everyone for there help.
Hi Cormorant,

I am new to pole fishing too mate, bought a 12.5 mtr pole last year, it is quite tricky cupping bait out at distance as said, but you will soon get use to it, then it becomes quite a rewarding method!

Although i am new to longer poles, i have been fishing margin poles for the past four years, i have a couple of Preston Zyriums loaded with Preston Slip 16 elastic and there great fun down the margins, best fish being a 13lb 4oz Mirror!...:)

Hope you have as mutch fun as i have had with your new chosen method, the only problem i have found with pole fishing is that i don't use the rod and reel as often as i would like to these days, tend to just set the pole up!.........

Cheers
Matt...

cormorant

Reaction score
ta

Hi Cormorant,

I am new to pole fishing too mate, bought a 12.5 mtr pole last year, it is quite tricky cupping bait out at distance as said, but you will soon get use to it, then it becomes quite a rewarding method!

Although i am new to longer poles, i have been fishing margin poles for the past four years, i have a couple of Preston Zyriums loaded with Preston Slip 16 elastic and there great fun down the margins, best fish being a 13lb 4oz Mirror!...:)

Hope you have as mutch fun as i have had with your new chosen method, the only problem i have found with pole fishing is that i don't use the rod and reel as often as i would like to these days, tend to just set the pole up!.........

Cheers
Matt...
thanks matt looking forward to the summer and tight elastic

slb

Reaction score
Couple of things you need to think about when using a pole cup.

Life will be a lot easier if you use a correctly positioned roller. Set up the roller where you think it may need to be and then sit on your box. Put the pole to the desired length and give it a go sliding over the roller.
If the roller is in the correct place, there should be no drop or lift of the pole as it comes off the roller. If the butt drops as it comes off the roller, the roller needs to be moved towards you. Keep moving like this until the pole slides off the roller smoothly.

When shipping in and out, you need to use as few movements as possible. The way to achieve this is to use the full spread of your arms so reach back and then slide. Also, try stabilising the pole over your leg when reaching the swim instead of just using your arms to ship forward.

Well done on your catch, keep working at it - it will get a lot easier...

matt68

Reaction score
Couple of things you need to think about when using a pole cup.

Life will be a lot easier if you use a correctly positioned roller. Set up the roller where you think it may need to be and then sit on your box. Put the pole to the desired length and give it a go sliding over the roller.
If the roller is in the correct place, there should be no drop or lift of the pole as it comes off the roller. If the butt drops as it comes off the roller, the roller needs to be moved towards you. Keep moving like this until the pole slides off the roller smoothly.

When shipping in and out, you need to use as few movements as possible. The way to achieve this is to use the full spread of your arms so reach back and then slide. Also, try stabilising the pole over your leg when reaching the swim instead of just using your arms to ship forward.

Well done on your catch, keep working at it - it will get a lot easier...
Them pole cups sure come in handy breaking the ice this time of year Steve!...:D

D.Tebbett

Reaction score
I am looking for some advice, My wife bought me a 8m DNA NGT margin pole for our anniversary recently, the top section however is telescopic, i would like to make it elasticated but im not sure on the best way to do this, should i bin the telescopic top section off and get a replacement take apart top section? or should i elasticate the telescopic top section?

i am new to pole fishing, and to some this may seem like a no-brainer but i genuinely am at a loss, i have spent weeks searching the internet looking for replacement top kits and elasticating kits in order to see what would be better, easier and cheaper but im really struggling, the only place that seems to recognise the pole my wife bought me is the amazon page that sold it, i shall put the link to the amazon page at the bottom of the post as i no im not very good at explaining things sometimes,

all help and advice is greatly appreciated...........thanks

Golden Eagle

Reaction score
Never seen a take apart pole with a telescopic top2 before!
You could use a puller bung to elasticate it then wrap the elastic round the bung when in transit.
Can’t see any advantages to this set up?

john step

Reaction score
The whip type top will probably be able to withdrawn from the next section down and just elasticate that 2nd section.

My advice would b e to take it to a tackle shop with the view to buying the bits needed and ask them.
Alternatively ask a pole user if you are in a club.

nottskev

Reaction score
Shimano's 90's flagship pole, Diaflash, has a telescopic top two. I should know, I have four - 3 full poles for spares and the original which I have yet to wear out and has caught thousands of pounds of fish of all sizes and species.
I'm not clear why elasticating it is proving a problem.
Extend the two, and elasticate as normal.
There is one specific danger you must avoid with elasticated top kits.
If you slide the top into the second section with the elastic slack, it can trap between the two sections and you will never get them apart intact.
Here's how you avoid that.
Make a couple of little loops of elastic to fit snug on your second section.
Hold the elastic out tight as you let first slide down into second to pack away.
Tuck your dacron or stonfo under the loop or loops under slight tension.
Piece of cake.
Nothing wrong with telescopic kits. If I could find a better modern pole for what I fish for (anything but commercial carp) I'd buy it.

pole 9.jpg