pole fishing

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
The 8 metre Acolyte whip is Tele .
A match kit on Daiwa has a Tele number one , which gets removed anyway.
I had Shimano poles and like keV said they had a Tele two .
I used to use a standard tensioner bung , and at the end of the day , slide the top section down as remove the bung, Then put the tensioner bung over the top of the section as if it's wearing a hat . This stops the section from sliding all the way out.
A cheap way to have spare elasticated sections was to buy just the number ones and elastic those . Then change over to what elastic rating when required .

noel

Reaction score
Mainly a fly fishing man , if I was to start fly again I would be happy with Shakespeare Agility what would be its equivalent value for money 8m pole under £90 .

john step

Reaction score
Have a Google " what margin pole" There is a site called Tackle Scout. They give reviews. By shopping around you should be able to pick up one of the big names for about your price.
Drennan /Maver etc. The only downside is the general shortage of all things at the moment.
( I went into a rather large tackle shop a couple of days ago and was surprised at the amount of empty shelves)

I see Todbar Manor tackle shop have a Drennan Red Range for a bit more than your price but their Red Range stuff is quite good stuff.

Last edited:

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Have a Google " what margin pole" There is a site called Tackle Scout. They give reviews. By shopping around you should be able to pick up one of the big names for about your price.
Drennan /Maver etc. The only downside is the general shortage of all things at the moment.
( I went into a rather large tackle shop a couple of days ago and was surprised at the amount of empty shelves)

I see Todbar Manor tackle shop have a Drennan Red Range for a bit more than your price but their Red Range stuff is quite good stuff.
Would you not think the red range pole is rather heavy. I know Middy do an 8 metre white knuckle thriller, it's carbon not like the original 6 metre white knuckle . I have seen one ,but not had a dabble with one. Again it's more than £90

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Shimano's 90's flagship pole, Diaflash, has a telescopic top two. I should know, I have four - 3 full poles for spares and the original which I have yet to wear out and has caught thousands of pounds of fish of all sizes and species.
I'm not clear why elasticating it is proving a problem.
Extend the two, and elasticate as normal.
There is one specific danger you must avoid with elasticated top kits.
If you slide the top into the second section with the elastic slack, it can trap between the two sections and you will never get them apart intact.
Here's how you avoid that.
Make a couple of little loops of elastic to fit snug on your second section.
Hold the elastic out tight as you let first slide down into second to pack away.
Tuck your dacron or stonfo under the loop or loops under slight tension.
Piece of cake.
Nothing wrong with telescopic kits. If I could find a better modern pole for what I fish for (anything but commercial carp) I'd buy it.

View attachment 21715
Kev the match kits on Daiwa poles such as the Connoisseur are a Tele top two , I would say the lower range models are as well. I removed the number one on my match kits, and elasticated the two and three. The match kits are rated to 16 elastic believe it or not.
All the kits I had with the Shimano Aernos,same as the Diaflash were Tele ,again I removed the number one , I read somewhere that with the number one removed one those 18/20 elastic could be used ,

seth49

Reaction score
My first pole was a drennan red range, I found it ok at two sections plus top kit, any more and it was heavy, and I’m six foot two, and did heavy manual work all my life.
its a bit out of your price range but my current pole is the ten metre Preston edge monster, and it’s really light and strong, I’ve had carp too over sixteen pounds on it, plus hundreds of tench etc.
I never thought I’d buy a pole but I’m very pleased with this one, do most of my fishing with it nowadays, and it’s just as good with light elastics catching silvers as it is with carp.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
An original 10 metre Daiwa yank and bank second hand in good condition complete with spares should be able to be found for less than the edge monster or comparable poles .
Very slim, very strong and an ideal silvers pole as well as a margin pole .
I paid peanuts for mine, but I included 3 trays of pole winders in the deal .

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
No mention of the Ron Thompson Carp Gangster 11m are they so bad ?
Sort of , the topkits are dirt cheap, you would have to remove the number one unless you are fishing size two elastic , they are that fine .
I got a couple of topkits for one because they fit the original Daiwa yank n bank .
I would say for an 11 metre pole they are ok upto 9 metres , the last two sections used as back up in case fish makes a run .

john step

Reaction score
Would you not think the red range pole is rather heavy. I know Middy do an 8 metre white knuckle thriller, it's carbon not like the original 6 metre white knuckle . I have seen one ,but not had a dabble with one. Again it's more than £90
Could be. I will bow to your experience.

noel

Reaction score
Thank you John Step , I had a read of that website and he is quite happy with the Ron Thompson Carp Gangster and for a pole that will only be used a dozen times a year good value for money .

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Could be. I will bow to your experience.
When my grandson started fishing , he was using my short Garbolino pole , which was good but a little pricey, I bought the original 6 metre white knuckle, which while bomb proof was a tad heavy for a youngster .I have seen a few 8 metre white knuckle in use and they looked good .if I could have got one I would .
As for the red range ,I know a Drennan consultant , he said it's good pole for the money but wouldn't be suitable as such .
A mate sold me his original Daiwa yank n bank , ideal for grandson . He still uses it ,so do I .
I thought the Gangsta was heavy.
That's my experience, looking for a pole for a youngster ,but not wanting to splash out .
Each to their own .Noel is happy with the Gangsta , I wasn't keen on it .

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
The best 8, whip I ever came across is the Milo Luxury 8m . . . . it is take apart except for the top 3 which is telescopic and was very light (around 350gms) I bought mine in the mid 90's and it is still going as strong as ever and has landed some large fish.
I elasticated a spare top 3 so can use it either as a very light lnie-to-hand whip or as an 8m pole on smaller rivers.

If you can find one second hand . . just buy it . . . .

rob48

Reaction score
The best 8, whip I ever came across is the Milo Luxury 8m . . . . it is take apart except for the top 3 which is telescopic and was very light (around 350gms) I bought mine in the mid 90's and it is still going as strong as ever and has landed some large fish.
I elasticated a spare top 3 so can use it either as a very light lnie-to-hand whip or as an 8m pole on smaller rivers.

If you can find one second hand . . just buy it . . . .
Fully agree. I've got one of these and never been bettered IMO.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
My 8 metre whip is the Drennan Acolyte, Tele top three , the rest take apart .
Spare topkit with the option of elasticating it.. There are dearer ones out there such as Browning . But I am happy with the Drennan.
My 4.5 metre is fully Tele. Packs down to around 60cms. Originally it had braid,/fly line backing on the end of the flick tip . The tip put a hole in it over the years , so I fitted a stonfo connector . It's and old Shakespeare one designed for bleak but I have landed F1s on it unintended, it creaked a bit but got them in .
Used it in matches and had 15lb weights on it , arm never ached either seeing I was like Zorro for nearly five hours . I have looked at modern day 4.5 metre whips and can't find one comparable to mine .