Record Fine

jon atkinson

Reaction score
"It should not be cheaper to offend than to take appropriate precautions." was an encouraging sentiment in the Judges summing up.

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Should get their attention I think :D

---------- Post added at 13:35 ---------- Previous post was at 13:31 ----------

I believe that the Angling trust are involved and are asking for evidence in the form of before and after photographs, Ray Waltons facebook page has details of where to send them.

Yep sent an email with photo and EA's response to my criticism yesterday.

thecrow

Reaction score
I hope that any appeal made by TW (if they appeal) doesn't result in a reduction in the fine as has happened in the past. This should also give other water companies the warning that destruction of the environment is going to cost them and their shareholders a lot of money.

I would also hope that in the light of this that the Angling Trust would end their association with TW as a sponsor for the riverfest matches it is not a good advertisement for the Trust.

The bad one

Reaction score
It's peanuts to TW 20M fine, it made an operating profit 015/16 of £742.2 M They'll be laughing all the way to the bank and the Directors bonus with that fine for what is the combined largest river pollution in British History.

No Jeff they only care (the Directors) and cry croc tears because they were caught, not for the damage they've done/did.
If the judge really wanted to make a point, he should and could have fined them a year operating profit and jailed the CEO for this. He after all carries the can for the actions/inactions of the Co he runs.

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
No Jeff they only care (the Directors) and cry croc tears because they were caught, not for the damage they've done/did. If the judge really wanted to make a point, he should and could have fined them a year operating profit and jailed the CEO for this. He after all carries the can for the actions/inactions of the Co he runs.
Phil, you don't know them at all. And the judge cannot send anyone to prison since it's the company (an entity in its own right) that is on trial and not the individuals. That's not my law, it is the law. And the CEO in charge when it happened has since left the company (I think he retired) and a new one was appointed last September, a Scot and a damned good man I believe. I'm looking forward to meeting him on many more occasions and be happy to have a pint with him. (Although I expect him being Scottish he'll expect me to pay, but I have some Yorkshire blood in me and he'll have to buy, otherwise it will be a dry meeting.)

Same as I've always said, you can call these companies as much as you like, but when it comes to putting the environment right again and furthermore, improving them, you will get absolutely nowhere. Right now, the Thames area will have £1.5 millions to spend on improvements, probably more than the EA in this area spent in the last 2 years.

thecrow

Reaction score
Fined £20million and according to their spokesman they really do care, these are photographs taken by Ray Walton yesterday on the river Colne at Maple Cross, yes they really care.

upload img

image hoster

I believe this has been reported to the EA by Ray.

Last edited:

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
Maple cross is very close by for me and the EA have been and seen the situation.
Let's wait and see what happens before condemning them.

Last edited:

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
these are photographs taken by Ray Walton yesterday on the river Colne at Maple Cross,
WRONG AGAIN! He has never seen Maple Lodge STW! Get your facts straight before you slag anyone off.

The person that took them was complaining about it and an EA enforcement officer went there and met him. The guy then said It was clearing up. Yet the EA man had just been 1½Klicks downstream and the water was gin-clear and no sign of detritus. Please explain where the mysterious cr@p went to?

Last edited:

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
Just to clarify the situation at Maple lodge, the photos taken were of a small outlet in a backwater not on the main river. This backwater is maintained by an exclusive fishing club and anything untoward would be spotted by its members or house owners through who's gardens it flows.
The main river runs into the GUC a half mile below ML and is canalised for roughly 2 miles until it runs off down a large weir to form the river once more. The main outlet for treated water flows into the canal from beneath the towpath, so is visible at all times.
This stretch of canal is private fishing for club members and affiliated clubs and I am a member. It holds some massive carp, big perch, big bream and chub which attracts many anglers. Kingfishers, herons and cormorants are commonly seen here too. During the late spring huge shoals of fry congregate at the outflow and can be easily seen. There have been no reports of dead or distressed fish that I know of in the area either.

Last edited:

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
There have been no reports of dead or distressed fish that I know of in the area either.
Thanks.

My mate (you've probably met him at some stage, he's an EA Enforcement Officer who likes fishing the Colne) met the complainant up there and he thought that it was natural river foam and with the river running low it's gathering in small areas. Also CVFC are well aware of the complaints made and nothing has been found wrong with the river or the STW, which appears to be coping well.

maggot_dangler

Reaction score
And the judge cannot send anyone to prison since it's the company (an entity in its own right) that is on trial and not the individuals. That's not my law, it is the law. And the CEO in charge when it happened has since left the company (I think he retired) and a new one was appointed last September,

And this is where our legal system needs a good hard kick in the butt You should NOT be able to hide behind a company You Foul up in the company cause the comapny to suffer you also should suffer the same fate and reitiring should in no way be a get out .
That holds true for me with comapnies like Capita for one if someone make a duff decission you should be able to take THAT person to court and get recompense from that person after all they made the decission .

PG ...

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
I was wrong to accredit Ray with the picture they were in fact taken by another on 23/3/2017 i.e. 2 days ago.
Thank you for acknowledging that. (even though you can't read this because I'm on your ignore list. :D)

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Honest disagreement is often a good sign of progress. Mahatma Gandhi[/FONT]

Graham Elliott 1

Reaction score
Jeff. One fact you cannot disagree with is the multiple foreign owners and investors in Thames Water, German, Australian, Arab state Abu Dhabi, Chinese, Kuwait did so for one reason.

To make as much money as possible as quickly as possible, to take money out and sell on. Thank you Mr Osborne. No wonder you get offered so many "favour" jobs. All held together in the Caymen Isle tax haven.

The comparison with Phillip Green is suitable.

Hopefully your Scottish pal will have a conscience and not want to cut and run when the going gets tough. And he has filled his boots.

Actually Jeff, you could argue with all that, probably.

Last edited: