Reel line - general fishing

magicone

Reaction score
Not been to the bank for a while for any fishing.

Replacing my 8lb reel line. Any advice of todays range of line to use.

Do not want to use any Hi-tech/Hybrid lines as I've them having a tendency to snap easily when landing a fish in the net when they flip.

Have used basic mono line years ago without many problems.

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
Diawa Sensor is a good all round line. Other people will tell you that it isn’t.

I have found it tough as old boots and it stands up to snags better than most. It knots well, it actually breaks at a higher point than marked. Eight pound sensor breaks at 10.75lb according to the Tackle Box line chart. It can be bought on bulk spools very cheaply and is available in almost every tackle shop.

Availability is an important factor, if you can’t buy it, then it doesn’t matter how good it’s supposed to be.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The bad one

Reaction score
Only one for me and that's Maxima. Used it for 40 years, not the thinnest line but consistent along the whole length and does what it says on the tin. 5lb line goes at just under 4.9 with a good knot every time. Funny enough me and my nephew the other night whilst fishing had this same conversation. For heavy line 12+ my preference is for TEs Gold Label, but there's serious problems in my part getting hold of it.

barbelboi

Reaction score
Pro Gold/Clear for everything except trotting...............Seems to be the same everywhere Phil - when I can get hold of some, especially the lower diameters, I stock up.

peterjg

Reaction score
I use Sensor in 3, 4 and 6lb for reel lines. It does the job and is cheap.

David Rogers 3

Reaction score
Another vote for Sensor. You can pay a lot more for lines that really don't seem to offer anything extra.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
The major criteria in my book when chosing a line are:

Knot strength
Memory (or rather lack of it)
Stretch
Density (floating or sinking)
Cost (the least inportant to me)

For most of my Carp or Tench fishing I use Shimano Technium, expensive but excellent,

For silver fish I use either Maxima or Pro Gold but for all of my pole rigs and hook lengths I use Preston Reflo Power or else Milo Tectan (I bought a large supply of it and it lasts very well)

Last edited:

mikench

Reaction score
My current favourite is Dave Harrell’s match and feeder line but I also use Sensor.

Philip

Reaction score
Sensor for the price which is the line I use for most of my fishing. I refuse to pay more the £10 for a bulk spool.

I changed to it when Berkley Big Game became difficult to find which was in the same price bracket. However a while back I got a spool of big game and put it on one reel and it reminded me why I liked it and prefered it over Sensor.

There are some other really good lines out there but alot more expensive.

Also just as a footnote, probably just coincidental but I put 8lb Sensor on a couple of reels and had loads of line twist issues on both reels. I use Sensor in 4, 6 and 15lb on others reels (often the same model of reel) without too many issues. Maybe I just loaded the 8lb badly on both reels, I dont know but it was a little strange.

Anyone else had issues like this with a particular diameter of line ? It got me thinking, could there be a sweet spot in terms of line gauge for reels where one specific line diameter just loads and works perfectly for that specifc model of reels rotor/bale arm/spool/gearing and so on ?

For example a Shimano 8010 (old model) just seems to be absolutly perfect for 0,32mm line, its just a dream combo...yet if I go above or below I start to get niggly little problems creeping in ...a tangle behind the spool here, a loop around the bale arm there & so on. I am sure an anglers style of casting and winding probably plays a part too. Its just so good when you find a dream fit so to speak.

Maybe thats part of the reason why some anglers swear by a certain rod/reel/line combo while others hate it. I could never get on with a Mitchell match for example but others love them. Maybe its a consequance of my line & rod choice and angling style just doesnt work for that reel.

Yep its late & I am probably talking cobblers but thats fishing eh :)

Last edited:

peterjg

Reaction score
Philip, I think that that you are correct. Certain lines and line diameters suit particular sized spool diameters. The suitability (or not) is more easily identified with thicker lines: going back to my carp fishing years (decades) a thicker line lifted and sprang from a smaller diameter spool better than a bigger one and thus resulted in easier casts. It's directly the opposite of accepted thinking where bigger spools mean longer casts. However; other stuff complicates things further such as line diameter/stiffness, rod ring spacing and size of rings, etc, etc. I'm definitely not advocating small reels for distance casting that would be daft but I do think there is sense in matching certain lines to certain reels.

wetthrough

Reaction score
[...]

Also just as a footnote, probably just coincidental but I put 8lb Sensor on a couple of reels and had loads of line twist issues on both reels. I use Sensor in 4, 6 and 15lb on others reels (often the same model of reel) without too many issues. Maybe I just loaded the 8lb badly on both reels, I dont know but it was a little strange.

Anyone else had issues like this with a particular diameter of line ? It got me thinking, could there be a sweet spot in terms of line gauge for reels where one specific line diameter just loads and works perfectly for that specifc model of reels rotor/bale arm/spool/gearing and so on ?
[...]
Yes. I've used 6lb Shimano Aero Super Match for a long time without significant issues. I can't get any of the Shimano at the moment so switched to 4lb Sensor which is the same diameter more or less and on the bench breaks at about the same load. Hard to tell them apart really but I've had loads of problems with the Sensor. Wind loops etc.

nottskev

Reaction score
I've tried Sensor, very briefly, and found it misbehaves in numerous ways. Is it coincidence that its biggest fan on here (formerly) used centrepins almost exclusively and iirc re-spooled every trip? I found it hopeless on fs's, and the "upgrade" Hyper Sensor even worse.

I agree that certain lines are better in some diameters. For lighter sinking line floatfishing and light legering I've used Maxima in 2-4lb for 40 years, always on Shimano's, and I find it ideal. With one caveat: you really have to watch when you put new line on, as it will be prone to misbehave til it's bedded down or settled in or whatever you choose to call it. After that, it keeps condition for ages. Anything over 6lb in Maxima though is not for me, and I go to other brands for stronger lines.

I also agree that some lines suit some reels better. When Daiwa launched their first serious match reel in the 90's I bought a couple - and suddenly had problems with Maxima. "Twistbuster" indeed. Rather than change lines, I sold the reels.

Like some others. I also like Pro Gold in high bs's. Again, you have to be careful when it's new, but it does stand up well to rugged fishing. If you can find it.

I was using Drennan Synchro XT for barbel, but a couple of odd knot failures made me look it up online. You don't find many proper line reviews and I found this one by a carp angler quite an eye-opener on three points: breaking strain, strengths of particular knots with this particular line and difference in behaviour when wet or dry. It's not that he finds the line poor - but he tells you things you would really want to know if you intend to use it.

Last edited:

rayner

Reaction score
I prefer Maxima chameleon, using a line with plenty of stretch coupled with abrasion resistance is helpful when fishing light lines.
In colder months I like to use a Hi-Tech line, mostly to enable me to spot liners when searching for fish. A thing made more difficult with a line that stretches. The Hi-Tech line I have used for a number of years is Berkly vanish.

hague01

Reaction score
It's kryston Krystonite for me. Clear like sensor but coated. Worth the price hike in my view.

sam vimes

Reaction score
My earliest experiences with Sensor were in 8 and 10lb on fixed spool reels. I absolutely hated it with a passion. I gave it another go in an unremembered lighter breaking strain on an original Shimano Stradic. I still didn't like it very much. Thinking that some folks that were fervent proponents of it were centrepin users, I gave it another try in 4 and 6lb. Whilst no longer hating it, I now find it's usable on my pins. I've also given it a whirl on more modern reels with oversized spools. It works far better on these bigger spools. However, I can't deny that one of the biggest factors in my using it is that it's incredibly cheap. Once it shows any sign of wear, coiling, kinking or abrasion, I'll bin the lot and re-spool. If all lines cost the same (or were free) I'd be using something else, probably the Dave Harrell Pro Match.

terry m

Reaction score
Another vote for Shimano Technium, not the cheapest but for heavier BS lines I have found nothing better.

As far as Sensor goes, I would sooner spool up with half a dozen Slinky springs, I find it really poor.

hague01

Reaction score
Have you found the quality has gone down? As uncle Dave sold the company about 4 years ago. There's a lot I could say about Kyston products these days, but best if I don't. ;)
I went over to it from sensor about 3 years ago. It is coated so it does not rough up like sensor does, at least for me. I really looked there was I am a fan of sportex. I find it good. The equal imho to pulse and probably better too. I get it from a tackle shop in Herts. Always seems to be in stock too. I really fish for feisty mid double carp so not into heavy lifting/ towing gear. Works very well for what I use it for.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
Yes. I've used 6lb Shimano Aero Super Match for a long time without significant issues. I can't get any of the Shimano at the moment so switched to 4lb Sensor which is the same diameter more or less and on the bench breaks at about the same load. Hard to tell them apart really but I've had loads of problems with the Sensor. Wind loops etc.
Try Leigh Tackle and Bait . They will post if you can't get there Gordon