Review and Competition - The Little Book of Suicide

Status
Not open for further replies.

ED (The ORIGINAL and REAL one)

Reaction score
No-one seems to want to have a go at the competition so here are my Competition entries
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

1) I want to win this competition --and if I don't I'll top myself .......!!!

2) The trouble with suicide is you can't really have a successful trial run to see if you like it or not -- can you ??

(If you think suicide's bad --you want to try a day fishing with Spiders !!)

Last edited:

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
Well Graham me lad, this has caused a bit of a stir hasn't it? Brought a few out of the woodwork too I see.

Why, if a person doesn't like it do they bother to keep coming back to read the postings and even go to the trouble to post themselves? Suicide is a very immotive subject and not the first time has been a subject of humour, comedians often make cracks about it and the answer in this case is so simple, "If you don't like the thread don't read it" and most definitely don't presume to tell others what they can read or not read or even make up gags and poems about it if that is their wish.

Nowt so queer as folks.

There was a young lady from Wapping
Whose life she debated on swapping
As she hung from the rafter
One foot in hereafter
She decided it wasn't worth stopping

Boom! Boom!

Reaction score
I haven't posted anyting about about poo for a long while (er...I don't think I have).

But being as you ask, we all need to do one from time to time. Sometimes when we're fishing...

Reaction score
Woody

Will you be doing a review on food blenders next month?

Also

You could do a review on spatulars.

Or maybe a review on engine oil.

Or even a review on tea bags.

All have some form of connection with fishing if you look for it.

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
Woody

Will you be doing a review on food blenders next month?
No. Mine came free from the petrol station 15 years ago when they gave out coupons and no one has offered me a new one since.

Why point a finger at me? I just put a few notes to the book review saying it wasn't very funny. Not for me to decide what goes up or what stays off. Were it my decision alone a lot more would stay off or get deleted from these forums.

Old saying - you can only work with the material you're given. Sadly manufacturers still don't hold websites in such high estime as they do with magazines and therefore we are at the bottom of the heap in terms of review items. Had we plenty to go on, this book would never have seen the light of day.

One reason might be, I have heard this from one manufacturer, "Once the review goes up a forum starts that does nothing but knock the products so why should we put ourselves up for such ridicule?" I don't think this is entirely true, but there are always negative comments and for that you can only blame yourselves and also for the reason we have a review of this book.

Then again Corkers, you could try exercising your brain in a different direction and write a feature or twenty together with some brilliant photos instead of moaning all the time. Over to you! ......

Reaction score
Moaning all the time?

I'm not moaning. Perhaps tone is lost in the written word.

I offered my opinion. I certainly don't wish it to come across as moaning. If a person starts 'moaning' about a website/forum then it's time they weren't there.

I did like the old Product Review format of the old site. I even did a few and worn a prize for one of them ( a good honest review of the Chub Rigger bag allthough I say so myself).

Any plans on bringing back something like (I know it won't be exactly the same) the old product review feature?

I do have some articles in teh pipeline, but they haven't quite took off yet. Its easy to right a quick note on here. Finding the time (at home) to pen a structered article is a bit more tricky - wife, kids, cat, dog and vampire guinea pigs all need attending to!

Graham Marsden

Editor Emeritus
Reaction score
David Kavanagh, author of 'The Little Book of Suicide', writes:

I apologise if anyone is offended, although some of the attacks do seem a tad unreasonable.

It is only a poetry book after all, not a DIY suicide guide.

Nor am I someone obsessed with death.

Another of my books, 'A Country Pillow Book', is filled with dozens of stories about anglers, angling, salmon, pike, carp, etc.

It is partially browsable on Google Books and still available in time for Christmas from Tesco Books online if anyone is interested.

By the way, the Samaritans is probably the best known charity for donations on this subject.

regards,

David Kavanagh

Author, 'The Little Book of Suicide'.

Lord Paul of Sheffield

Reaction score
Graham why not pt this too a vote - should this thread stay or be deleted

I've not counted up who's for and who's against but I would have thought that a thread that generates such controversy should be considered to be deleted.

Graham Marsden

Editor Emeritus
Reaction score
I did like the old Product Review format of the old site. I even did a few and worn a prize for one of them ( a good honest review of the Chub Rigger bag allthough I say so myself). Any plans on bringing back something like (I know it won't be exactly the same) the old product review feature?

I did announce that the User Review system was back several weeks ago, but like the Photo Competition few people seem to notice (they're probably more interested in having a pop at something or other).

Like a number of other things the system didn't transfer as well as we hoped into the new software and the images didn't transfer at all. Nevertheless, the User Review system is there and just needs users using it to bring it back to what it used to be. And we need to upload some images when we get time.

Click on the 'Tackle' tab at the top and then 'Member Reviews'

---------- Post added at 12:51 ---------- Previous post was at 12:47 ----------

I would have thought that a thread that generates such controversy should be considered to be deleted.

Controversy just means a difference of opinion, and is not necessarily wrong. This forum wouldn't exist if we all agreed about everything. That's what forums are for.

Lord Paul of Sheffield

Reaction score
I did announce that the User Review system was back several weeks ago, but like the Photo Competition few people seem to notice (they're probably more interested in having a pop at something or other).

Like a number of other things the system didn't transfer as well as we hoped into the new software and the images didn't transfer at all. Nevertheless, the User Review system is there and just needs users using it to bring it back to what it used to be. And we need to upload some images when we get time.

Click on the 'Tackle' tab at the top and then 'Member Reviews'

---------- Post added at 12:51 ---------- Previous post was at 12:47 ----------

Controversy just means a difference of opinion, and is not necessarily wrong. This forum wouldn't exist if we all agreed about everything. That's what forums are for.

Well there was a bit of controvery over my "Qoutes from the good book" on the old site and that was done in homour and when people compained that thread got deleted

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
Corky you amaze me, on a thread you say should not be on the forum you have posted 14 times so far, more than a quarter of all the posts, doesn't that seem a bit odd even for you?

Not only that but you havn't contributed one poem yet! :p

Graham Marsden

Editor Emeritus
Reaction score
Well there was a bit of controvery over my "Qoutes from the good book" on the old site and that was done in homour and when people compained that thread got deleted

Can't please everybody Paul and we won't always get it right.

And because I have no intentions of closing this thread right now doesn't mean I can't change my mind. I'm never intractable on anything, I realise that I don't know everything, and I'm never too arrogant to back down when I think I've got it wrong.

On this issue I still think I'm right.

Fred Bonney

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
It's a little bit like suicide this thread,isn't it?

The gathered crowd, looking at the jumper, they know they really don't want to look, but they do!

---------- Post added at 14:02 ---------- Previous post was at 13:50 ----------

She was what we used to call a suicide blond - dyed by her own hand.

Status
Not open for further replies.