River Itchen Grayling Day - 23rd February 2008

• Thread starter Nigel Connor(ACA ,SAA)
  • Start date

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
Did anyone stay B&B on the last Itchen fish-in and if so have they any recommendations? I have contacted one provided by the fishery owners and it seems quite reasonable but wondered if anyone new for sure.

N

Nigel Connor(ACA ,SAA)

Graham, I know Mark Hewitt did and you may want to e-mail him.

Mark?

S

sash

Graham,

I'll be staying myself this time but probably only on the Friday night i.e. and fish somewhere on the Friday, but I'd be interested on any feedback from those that have stayed before.

Mark Hewitt

Reaction score
I stayed here for two nights, the deal last year was £110 two nights bed, breakfast and evening meal. Very good for the price, I shall book again for this year if the offer is still on.

click

P.s. I here the 'exclusive' stretch of the test you paid a small fortune to fish for graying wasn't quite up to expectations Nigel?

Initially I was quite envious. . . . . .

N

Nigel Connor(ACA ,SAA)

Youare quite right Mark but at least it was freeof the usual riff raff!! Older and now wiser!

Mark Hewitt

Reaction score
All for a good cause, as long you hada good day.

I've just spoken to the hotel, and booked for two nights.

Same price, but it would seem you can now stay one night for £55! last year for breakfast and evening meal it was £90for one night, or £110 for two.

Even better deal if you ask me.

S

sash

Ah, I stayed there on a golf do last year and it was very nice.

I was thinking about somewhere closer (and safer) where I wouldn't mind leaving tackle in the car to be honest. I'll try the B&B the fishery peoplerecommend.

Michael Townsend 3

Reaction score
I might stay over if I can confirm that I'll be there.

£55 Mark? We could almost book an exclusive stretch of river for that, with a guided tour thrown in!

N

Nigel Connor(ACA ,SAA)

LOL!!

OK guys you have had your fun! /forum/smilies/crying_smiley.gif

Michael Townsend 3

Reaction score
Did you find enough 'lost' floats to make it worthwhile though?

Who needs enemies with mates like Neil Nigel? A few beers and straight out with it. He said it was good to get it off his chest.

W

Warren 'Hatrick' (Wol) Gaunt

Judging the way things went i take it, and its only my judgement, that it was pretty naff.

/forum/smilies/party_smiley.gif

W

Warren 'Hatrick' (Wol) Gaunt

Now listen here, there's many a Grayling in my 'exclusive' section of fishery old bean
judge.jpg

N

Nigel Connor(ACA ,SAA)

Mate,I had to recoup my losses somehow and being a fellow yorkshireman you should understand that.Funny how one guy cast 4 identical drennan loafers onto the same branch though - wasn't you was it Wol?

Stiil a decent enough day in good company,Maidment obviously excepted!

N

Nigel Connor(ACA ,SAA)

Superb Wol!/forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif

Ps thanks for the book.

Michael Townsend 3

Reaction score
Quality Wol.

Yes I can understand Nigel, but did you get the deluxe rod rest that had been left behind?

N

Nigel Connor(ACA ,SAA)

No, evenI have standards butI was in two minds for a while.

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
Just in case, I have booked for Scott and I at Primrose Cottage and very reasonable it is too, £27.50 per personfor the 2 of us including brekkie, 5 mins from the fishery can't be bad can it. She said they often put upanglers who use the fishery and the fact that its on the fishery site suggests it is okay.

R

Rog

Just to spice up the thought of getting into a shoal of luvverly "ladies" on the Itchen. I thought I'd let you know how the Frome was fishing today.

I trotted our club's entire length without seeing a fish, other than a photo of a very red and quite large salmoncaught by the only other angler on the stretch spinning for perch. As I got back to the car I found I still had 15 minutes before having to pick the wife up. With a swift change to a swimfeeder I managed to get in three casts. Three grayling later the last weighed in at 2 lb 7 oz, which was my pb.

Funny old game.

Neil Maidment

Reaction score
Nigel, is my place still safe on the Fish-In?

/forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif

(I promise I won't talk to anyone ever again)