Rivert kennet Grayling Day 17th November 2007

• Thread starter Nigel Connor(ACA ,SAA)
  • Start date

Neil Maidment

Reaction score
Fished at Barton Court today.................

.......glad I'm at Denford next Saturday!/forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif

Very frosty start to the morning followed by bright sunshine and clear blue skies, not ideal for fishing low clear chalk streams!

Sneaked just four grayling up to about 1lb and then had this:
IMG_14661167x791.jpg

Saw about a dozen other bream scatter as I played this one to the net. Other than a few obliging brownies and one rainbow, it was a very quiet day.

On the postive side, for those in the "Species Race", I also had minnows, 1 roach and 1dace (both about the same size as the minnows!).
IMG_1461.jpg

N

Nigel Connor(ACA ,SAA)

Neil, Beautiful shot of the river.

Looking at the Hungerford forecast it looks mild and overcast for Saturday so our luck may be in.I suspect the levels will be as low at Denford as at BC although I have asked Nigel to lower the hatches to hold some of the water back for us.Fine and far off may be the tactic.

Is that an Okuma Sheffield in your bream piccy?

Neil Maidment

Reaction score
Yes Nigel, I really like the Sheffield and enjoy using it. I think it's a well built piece of kit, the weight seems right for me.

(Claudia didn't like it on the Itchen! Kept talking about line guards!)

BC was tough but it's a nice fishery. It was very low and clear and my stumbling around did spook a few! When I had the bream (which I was convinced was "another" huge grayling when I saw it's flanks turn in the stream!!), about a dozen others shot upstream and downstream like exploding fireworks! And yet prior to hooking it, I didn't see any fish in the swim at all!

Claudia Crowther

Reaction score
Oi I did like the CP.....she just didn't like me and birdnested on me all the time/forum/smilies/embarassed_smiley.gif but Peter J was so kind to lend me one of hi CP with a line guard *bleh*.....see if I can manage with that one.......I just hope I don't mess it up, it's a kinda very expensive one, already thinking of not using it...I'm scared/forum/smilies/embarassed_smiley.gif

Neil Maidment

Reaction score
Dace! What dace?/forum/smilies/sick_smiley.gif

If all else fails, then there'susually these spotty things to liven up the proceedings./forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif
IMG_1463.jpg

Neil Maidment

Reaction score
"I have asked Nigel to lower the hatches to hold some of the water back for us"

Now, with a little bit of cunning coordination, we could arrange for certain downstream areas to get lower and lower and lower and..........until/forum/smilies/devil_smiley.gif

A quick phone call just to let them know "the tides going out" could be in order!/forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif

Neil Maidment

Reaction score
A couple should see you OK Lee, but a few "dead cows" might be useful in some of the runs from the sluices!/forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif

Other parts of Barton Court will require at least 1 No1 (possibly 2 if there's a bit of rain).

darkuser80

Reaction score
Re Lower Denford crowd... Where are we meeting up before hand......gates of the fishery?...............

N

Nigel Connor(ACA ,SAA)

Merlot,

Just comedown through the gate and park at the bottom by the hut or if full on the short track down.Everyone will be meeting there.

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Sorry i haven't been around, but some nutter invented work.

Nick,

That will be great mate,

Yoggy,

Mince pies, yum yum.

Now we just need the waiters, well nothing much will be going on at Denford so they can come along for something to do, what ya think?.

See you all Saturday, and good luck to everybody who's fishing this weekend, where ever you are going.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Neil,

Lovely shot of the river, very moody and shows the atmosphere early in the day.

I really wish I could be with you all on Saturday, but as Ray says, some idiot invented work. So, instead of trotting the stream in the frosty morning I'll be sweating my nuts off in the desert just north of Doha.

I am there for 2 weeks this time, so I must have upset someone pretty high up in the organisation this time as the first prize is a week in Doha, the second prize being . . . . . . . . . . . 2 weeks!

Tight lines to all who are going to fish, and watch out for those rather large Perch that lurk around at Denford.

N

Nigel Connor(ACA ,SAA)

Steve, I'll be there at about 7.15ish to get everything set up for brekkie at 7.45 or so onwards but get there when you can.

All the nosh sorted so just bring your stove and kettle.

Y

yoggy

Nigel,you have an important email mate/forum/smilies/sad_smiley.gif

What a B*****d!!!!!

I`ve been and fractured my right foot!!!!!!!!!!!/forum/smilies/angry_smiley.gif

Y

yoggy

............................Which means I can hardly walk......................Which means I cant come to the Kennet!!!!!!!!!!!!!/forum/smilies/angry_smiley.gif/forum/smilies/angry_smiley.gif/forum/smilies/angry_smiley.gif

Please no wiseguy remarks lads I`m P****d off enough as it is.

Just ask Nick!!!!!!!!!

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
Yoggy,

Sorry you can not make it, but if you can get along i am sure we can get you into one of the pools so you dont have to move around to much.

I will bring the Bacon and sausages and eggs as you wont be there. That is a real shit, i had to miss the seven cos of work, but its worse for you.

Get well soon and hopefully we will meet up another time, take care.

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
Okee dokee Nigel.

Yoggy you plonker! I can't believe it mate, how did it happen?

I'm sure the guys will set you up in an armchair swim if you can get there?