Rod Rest Heads

nottskev

Reaction score
A decent rod and reel have probably never been cheaper or more abundant - though I'd say truly brilliant ones are no less elusive - but how come I can't find a good rod rest head? I've tried several ts's and their displays are full of little plastic creations with wobbly tilts and multiple snap-together parts that don't last 5 minutes. Has anyone come across any proper ones?

rr9.jpg

john step

Reaction score
I have found the same . Flimsy plastic that shatters under any pressure. I have even had cuts to my hand when trying to push them in when I am too lazy to get my screw spike out the bag.

I bought a new rod holdall recently and asked the tackle dealer why so few holdalls have a rod rest pocket nowadays. His reply was that "who uses rod rests nowadays" the inference everyone always uses a box with attachments.

What I have started using is these which I modify by putting shrink tube over prongs. They are often on ebay and I think one of the major carp tackle brands do them. Very robust.

Marketed as butt rests.

nottskev

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. I'm after something a bit cushioned, deep enough to stop a rod blowing off or being pulled off, but not so deep you can't strike sideways rather than up if needed. The asymmetric red ones in my pic are a good design for legering, and the tilt/lock bit is robust. They even come with an O ring. But the bit you put the rod on falls apart.

mikench

Reaction score
These work.

And this plus it’s soft and malleable.

i also use this and the guru reapers. I have too many rod rest heads.

rayner

Reaction score
I had a Preston's front rest head that I gave to my son-in-law I don't like the thin plastic ones you show in the first post. It was around 6 or 7 quid.

sam vimes

Reaction score
I'm not that keen on anything currently on the market, though it doesn't stop me trying to find something better.
As I don't do much but float fish, the sideways strike requirement is not necessary for me. If I'm fishing somewhere that banksticks can be used, I use the simple Preston rod safe U rests. They are simple and effective.

However, if I'm using an arm type attachment (with a box/chair), I really want something that is adjustable. I'm not overly happy with anything that adjusts in steps as the increments are invariable too big. For that reason, I'm still using an ancient Octoplus rod rest that's closing in on being thirty years old. I've never seen another like it, only the base "feeder" version without the extension arms and tensioned rubber rest. They are so old and obscure that I can't even find a picture of one online. Sadly, the rubber is starting to perish and split. I've recently been investigating the possibility of keeping it going with the aid of self levelling rubber paint/sealant.
DSC_0560.JPG

As I said earlier, the search for an alternative goes on. I'd certainly appreciate something a little smaller. With that in mind I ordered a Korum Counterbalance Rest yesterday. I don't have huge hopes for it ousting the Octoplus. However, as it won't last forever, I have to keep trying to find an acceptable alternative.

chrisjpainter

Reaction score
Another vote for the Guru reaper. You can tilt the ears 360 degrees and independently of one another, so you can have a high guard, low guard or no guard at all to suit and have one up to protect against rod theft, but the other down to allow you to strike sideways. They're not cheap, but they're the bee's knees of rod rests. I got one when they first came out on the market. I can't remember when that was, but it was a long time ago and it's still going strong.
1661348761910.png

nottskev

Reaction score
There are a few ingenious rests there for modern legering/feedering, but I'm after something like the old ones with plastic tubing stretched over a wide frame: when you pick your catty up to feed, you can drop your rod in it without looking and your rod doesn't clash against some solid plastic bar or boss. I guess I'll have to make something from cannibalised bits and pieces. of course it all depends on the conditions, but I've always favoured a sideways strike on the waggler; I seem to get a better connection, if the line's sunk, pulling it through the water rather than lifting it out. but we all have our own habits.

peterjg

Reaction score
Decent rod rest heads are not easy to find! For rear rests I use the same as John Step which are covered in old catapult elastic and for front rests I use the ribbed black foam ones sold in Go Outdoors.

sam vimes

Reaction score
I'm after something like the old ones with plastic tubing stretched over a wide frame: when you pick your catty up to feed, you can drop your rod in it without looking and your rod doesn't clash against some solid plastic bar or boss.

Exactly the reason I'm still using the rest at the top of my picture.

There's a Korum rest that's caught my eye as a potential replacement that might fit the bill for you. I'm not sure what the little "v" part is made from though. It's probably hard plastic, but at least it's small.

There's also a Preston rest that's a partial fit. I doubt it's quite wide enough or shallow enough though. It's one I've tried and quite like, but it hasn't usurped the Octoplus.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
Exactly the reason I'm still using the rest at the top of my picture.

There's a Korum rest that's caught my eye as a potential replacement that might fit the bill for you. I'm not sure what the little "v" part is made from though. It's probably hard plastic, but at least it's small.

There's also a Preston rest that's a partial fit. I doubt it's quite wide enough or shallow enough though. It's one I've tried and quite like, but it hasn't usurped the Octoplus.
I have the Middy version and found it to be good Also have the PI front and rear U rests , they are fairly thick .the rear has bristles in the U to hold butt in place, I have the guru grim reaper and the boss rod rest which is old and similar but without the adjustable ends .
I am sure tackle companies look at old designs and reinvent them .
I will post a pic later of one I would say kev would be after ,but not seen these for a fair few years .

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
A decent rod and reel have probably never been cheaper or more abundant - though I'd say truly brilliant ones are no less elusive - but how come I can't find a good rod rest head? I've tried several ts's and their displays are full of little plastic creations with wobbly tilts and multiple snap-together parts that don't last 5 minutes. Has anyone come across any proper ones?

View attachment 22933
To repair those , Google suppliers of medical airlines, these have a decent thickness even though they operate at a low pressure, similar to the clear plastic tubing on a saline drip . , they also come in different internal diameters .
I used this style but rated to a very high pressure when worked in the oil and gas industry,

mikench

Reaction score
All of the Middy ones I have( they came with a chair) are still ok.

I have spares if you want one Kev. In addition you can always superglue the connections on those you have.

the PI one works well too when float fishing and the bristle butt rest is excellent as recommended by Mark.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score

View attachment 22933
One of the rod rest heads I use , it's oldish , I have one that's larger with a brass screw down tilt in the centre .
IMG20220825104816.jpg

sam vimes

Reaction score
The Korum Big Tube Rod Rest that I linked previously has turned up. It looks pretty good and the central U shaped insert is small enough to not put me off.

It's not worth driving anywhere to buy one if bought here. It's also a good three quid cheaper than anyone else on ebay.

nottskev

Reaction score
The Korum Big Tube Rod Rest that I linked previously has turned up. It looks pretty good and the central U shaped insert is small enough to not put me off.

It's not worth driving anywhere to buy one if bought here. It's also a good three quid cheaper than anyone else on ebay.

Cheers, Chris. I'll order one. You don't get much for £5.99 these days, so good value.

jon atkinson

Reaction score
These are my favourite ones
My mate uses one of those which I look at enviously everytime we go out, but he's had it that long that he can't remember where he got it, although Ted Carter (Now AD Preston) would be the likely candidate. I've yet to find them on-line - have you had yours long?