Rod Rest Heads

jon atkinson

Reaction score

The bad one

Reaction score
My mate uses one of those which I look at enviously everytime we go out, but he's had it that long that he can't remember where he got it, although Ted Carter (Now AD Preston) would be the likely candidate. I've yet to find them on-line - have you had yours long?
Yes Jon I have, about 20 years bought from Gilders Failsworth now closed. The problem seems to be you can get matchmen heads, carp heads, but little in between other than a V heads of some description.

The Sogster

Reaction score
For years I have enjoyed using a similar rod rest to the one posted by @barbelboi I like the fact that whatever the angle of the bank stick the rest is perfectly positioned.

My browning version has just given up the ghost, but I can't seem to find any available other than the nufish 'Yoga' flexible version which are a soft foam finish the central boss is rubberised. My only doubts are how long it remains flexible and how much will it bend if dropping a rod on it as per the original post.

Last edited:

RMNDIL

Reaction score
To be honest, when fishing the float, I still use my keepnet. If I drop the rod down when feeding and miss that then I do have problems !

sam vimes

Reaction score
To be honest, when fishing the float, I still use my keepnet. If I drop the rod down when feeding and miss that then I do have problems !

I'm not one of those that vehemently oppose the use of keepnets. However, I doubt I've used one more than five times in the last twenty years. As much as I'd rather avoid the rod rest merry-go-round I'm on, I think I'm stuck with it. I'm certainly not going to lug a keepnet rather than a rod rest.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
@nottskev I think Frenzee do a clip on type rod rest affair that goes around the top ring of your keepnet, You can put the rod in a number of positions .

Edit ,it is Frenzee price around £10
1402312399_1.jpg
1402312399_4.jpg

Last edited:

nottskev

Reaction score
@nottskev I think Frenzee do a clip on type rod rest affair that goes around the top ring of your keepnet, You can put the rod in a number of positions .

Edit ,it is Frenzee price around £10
View attachment 23043View attachment 23045

Phew - what is that orange item? I used to stop my rod blowing. sliding off the net top with a couple of plastic spring clips or clothes pegs.

RMNDIL

Reaction score
Cut up an old knackered landing net head. Get rid of mesh, cut the frame to size and thread tubing between the 2 ends. Or buy a cheap one and do same. You can make one as big as you like - probably. Same can be done with an old knackered keepnet as the top will be adjustable. There must be ways to fabricate one to suit.

flightliner

Reaction score
One of the rod rest heads I use , it's oldish , I have one that's larger with a brass screw down tilt in the centre .
View attachment 22987
Thats the same as the one I use Mark.
I would have posted a picture of it earlier in the thread but I'm in Italy at the moment.
Ideal for float fishing, I must have had it nigh on thirty years.