Sardines and cable ties

MarkTheSpark

Reaction score
Over the years, sardines have established themselves as a supreme pike bait, which works well in most waters.

At the same time, sardine is one of the most frustrating baits to use – soft-skinned and fragile, it falls off the hooks at the slightest provocation. It even falls off the hooks on the way to the bottom, as I have found out to my cost, having reeled in bare hooks more than once.

The solutions are legion, usually involving fusewire and elastic binding the sardine’s tail to the treble shank. But they must now make way for the cable tie; cheap, easier to use and much more foolproof. Get the tiniest size you can find at the car boot/QD/market/Wilkinsons.

They need trimming once they’re in place (don’t leave the trimmed end on the bank) but they work brilliantly. When the bait comes adrift or is eaten, the little loop hangs there on the hook instead of being left in the environment.

These little cable ties have many other uses, including emergency repairs. One particularly fine use is as rod stops. When you perch on steep banks and through necessity have to have your rods facing downwards, the rod tends to slide right down to the next line guide, sometimes trapping the line against the front rod rest head or bite alarm. So put a cable tie round the butt where you want the rod to sit on the back rod rest, and it will stop this happening. I guess it would work when you’re fishing beachcaster style, too.

cable-tie.jpg

waggy

Reaction score
No thanks, I'll stick to bait elastic which I believe is digestible or will at least pass through a pike's gut without injuring it. Not so sure about plastic ties though.

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
Looks tidy Mark, might dig out my piking stuff. Swore by sardines in my piking days. Frustrating indeed not knowing if it fell off or not....

Phil Adams

Reaction score
Never really had too many problems myself, unless distance casting or trying to drift a deadbait a long way. Always used pva string or bait elastic.

Top bait though, along with a good oily mackerel :)

MarkTheSpark

Reaction score
No thanks, I'll stick to bait elastic which I believe is digestible or will at least pass through a pike's gut without injuring it. Not so sure about plastic ties though.

That's the whole point. The cable tie stays on the hook trace. It doesn't go anywhere when the bait gets pulled off the hooks. Unless of course the pike gets the whole trace, then the cable tie is the least of the pike's problems....

---------- Post added at 21:24 ---------- Previous post was at 21:22 ----------

Never really had too many problems myself, unless distance casting or trying to drift a deadbait a long way. Always used pva string or bait elastic.

Top bait though, along with a good oily mackerel :)

Much, much easier to put on than bait elastic, and much less inclined to bite into the bait.

---------- Post added at 21:25 ---------- Previous post was at 21:24 ----------

Looks tidy Mark, might dig out my piking stuff. Swore by sardines in my piking days. Frustrating indeed not knowing if it fell off or not....

Give it a go. Try my deadbait lifebelts, too, also somewhere in the FM archive.

chris hall

Reaction score
I always use sardines frozen, when I buy them I individually cling film them and freeze them if not already frozen. They stay on the hooks ok for me.
Chris.

blackout

Reaction score
Hi Mark, nubie here!

Its always an environmental concern to see bits of plastic and stuff but what you have there is potentially a good solution to stop soft baits coming off - you cannot keep frozen baits frozen all day can you, unless its sub-zero temps, even my eskie wont work!

You have a long tag end on the cable tie, any reason for that or is it just to show us?

You can also adapt the cable tie by nicking the square hole with pincers on one side (cutting it), this would allow it to be reusable if you know what I mean?
If you make a hole in the tag end with a hammer and nail could it be permanently fixed to the trace?

Full of ideas me, but if its cheap I generally like it more ;)

tiinker

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
You can buy PVA cable ties from E.T. and very good they are to I started using them last season on soft baites.

blackout

Reaction score
Whats ET mate?
bet you going to say extra terestrial :D

blackout

Reaction score
EDDIE TURNER pike tackle. also available from Tackle Box Dartford Kent but E.T.is better value.

Ah! silly sod I am lol
Not for repeat casting then I guess but environmentally friendly cheers

keora

Reaction score
I don't have any problems keeping sardines on the hook, provided they are frozen or partly defrosted.

Just press the load bearing hook hard into the fleshy wrist of the tail about half an inch from the start of the rays of the tail fin. The hook should pierce the end of the backbone, which will give the hook enough support to hold the deadbait in position.

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
Here's another tip for your cable ties.

Carp and pike rods (apart from a lot of casting a spinning rods) are famous for not having a hook keep ring on them. Most anglers put their hooks through an eye when setting their rods aside or packing away. That is BAD as you can easily damage the expensive ring.

Get the cable ties that have a mounting head for a screw on them and wrap around the rod near to the reel seat, possibly on the whipping? Now you have somewhere safe to put the hook through.
140.jpg

Rickrod

Reaction score
Never had a problem with Sardines coming off the hook. Just keep them frozen. They will withstand a powerful cast too

B

Berty

good idea Mark.....cheaper than ET's and no need for a disolvable one anyway,

terry m

Reaction score
I use sardines, but for me they are nowhere near the most successful bait, much prefer mackerel or herrings. But the zip tie idea is a good one, especially the PVA ET version.

The first cast (frozen) is always the longest, then if a recast is required try a little closer in, with care sardines will stay attatched.

B

Berty

I use sardines, but for me they are nowhere near the most successful bait, much prefer mackerel or herrings. But the zip tie idea is a good one, especially the PVA ET version.

The first cast (frozen) is always the longest, then if a recast is required try a little closer in, with care sardines will stay attatched.

On some waters they blow every other dead away........and sometimes there is only one spot to hit and anything inbetween is fishless!

Midlands res old river bed,......... some will understand!

Last edited:

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
Why not just whip a hook keeper ring onto a convenient location on the rod?
Because they're not always the best solution. With trebles and lures in particular, the cable ties keep the damaging bits away from the rod. And it doesn't permanently spoil the rod for someone else when you resell it, just cut off the cable tie. But of course some people don't want to look like they just fallen out of an Oxfam shop, but just can't help it. :D