Seat box accessories...

Alan Whitty

Reaction score
Just a question from someone who hasn't match fished for many years,but how much do you guys spend on your seat box accessories,pole rollers etc,I looked at a Lee Kerry video yesterday(I do realise he gets his stuff for free)and was stunned by the amount of side trays,keep net brackets,spray bar,feeder arm,rear rest,three pole rollers and 5 keepnets,plus luggage to haul it all,amazing....

fishcatcher60

Reaction score
I would imagine he does not get them for free as it's part of his job and as such included in his contract.
He is also one of the very top anglers so he would leave nothing to chance.
You only have to look at the video's of "normal matchmen" to realise the amount of tackle they put on their barrows for the match.
It's a world away from how i fish but if i fished matches i am sure i would be the same that's if i could carry it all.:)

nottskev

Reaction score
The prices are something else. You can pay £50 for the awning for your £100 side tray.
The amount..... there's a logic when multiple methods, rigs etc may be needed at big events. But I posted a few weeks ago my amazement that every angler on a local canal club match had the space station plus aluminium forest. And every one, literally, was fishing a simple light rig between 11-13m.
I think there's a fashion and fantasy element to it - I've got all the gear and I'm doing it like the big boys in Match Fishing magazine.
I also suspect gear is the male equivalent of shoes and handbags,

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
To be totally honest I lost count of the cost of my seat box accessories, or more accurately I never kept a tally.

My approach to match fishing, or indeed any fishing, is that you catch nothing with your hook out the water.

Therefore to my mind maximizing the fishing time was paramount so I had everything to hand and if that meant another accessory then so be it.

I don’t want to have to waste time digging about in a bag or box for replacement hook lengths or to have to reach down to the ground for bait.

It does mean that setting up (and packing up) is time consuming but to my mind that time is an investment and not a cost.

fishcatcher60

Reaction score
If people have the money then why shouldn't they spend it on their fishing tackle.
If they didn't then there would be fewer items of tackle to choose from and fewer shops in which to buy it from.

Alan Whitty

Reaction score
No,no,I'm more interested in how much it would tally up to,bearing in mind some anglers carry three good poles,several good feeder rods,top reels,seat boxes around a thousand quid,it seems incredible to me that the total could be £100,000,maybe a fair bit more...people spend their money how they wish,but these days a bill of that size must reduce the amount of anglers who can compete fully...

fishcatcher60

Reaction score
Like you said Alan "it's some anglers ".
It's the same in any sport or pastime as some have more money or sponsorship than others but it does not guarantee them any success.
I agree totally that to me the amount is eye watering as you said.
Having said that i would be the same if i had the money and was young enough and fit enough to carry it all.;):)

nottskev

Reaction score
People can spend their money where they want, sure.
Equally, anyone can comment on directions the sport goes in.
Some of the most extensive and expensive stacks of gear are to found these days lined up around some of the least interesting and inspiring artificial pools..... it makes me wonder if gear and raw catch sizes are increasingly seen as the heart of fishing. Other pleasures are available.
We anglers haven't a great record of contributing to damage limitation on our natural waters, but we know how to rack up a bill in the ts.

nottskev

Reaction score
Why criticize other aspects of fishing.
It only causes arguments and division when we ought to come together as a sport

Because saying what you think is very similar to spending your money as you wish.
If you're here to agree with everyone, why disagree with me?

fishcatcher60

Reaction score
I never said i was here to agree with everyone.
I was having an amicable conversation with someone else when you stuck you nose in and spouted your bile and hatred of everything commercial.
People like you are not worth the effort and time because you never listen and do not read post's correctly.

Please don't comment on my post's as you will not get a reply.

nottskev

Reaction score
I never said i was here to agree with everyone.
I was having an amicable conversation with someone else when you stuck you nose in and spouted your bile and hatred of everything commercial.
People like you are not worth the effort and time because you never listen and do not read post's correctly.

Please don't comment on my post's as you will not get a reply.

This is an open forum. If you want a private conversation, use pm's.
I read you fine, sunshine.

Alan Whitty

Reaction score
I always used a Preston Innovations feeder arm,then they changed the shape and sizes of their legs and adaptors for them,so I ended up hunting about and I bought one from a tackle shop on ebay(can't put a link up as I can't find the name),it makes the Preston look garbage,it collapses shorter,is sturdier and a lot cheaper,I've had it now a couple of seasons and like it just as much...

Last edited:

nottskev

Reaction score
I bought an Octbox feeder arm. It's so ridiculously heavy that if I stand up, my Octbox seatbox - a two drawer minimal version - will flip over forwards. Maybe I need an Octbox rear-facing counter-balance weight system? Or just fewer aluminium extrusions in my life?

@Clive

Reaction score
I have zero attachments to my seat box. :)

I get Peter's point about match anglers needing everything to be at hand and in the same place every time to save time. But, I have all the time in the world so can afford to be able to rummage around inside the box hoping that what I am searching for hasn't been left at home. The biggest problem is having to stand up every time I need to change a hook link, etc so I have devised a modular system where the boxes I am likely to need are put in a plastic bucket easily reached from my throne.

20230308_151710_5i0ncT6469.jpeg

Golden Eagle

Reaction score
I have zero attachments to my seat box. :)

I get Peter's point about match anglers needing everything to be at hand and in the same place every time to save time. But, I have all the time in the world so can afford to be able to rummage around inside the box hoping that what I am searching for hasn't been left at home. The biggest problem is having to stand up every time I need to change a hook link, etc so I have devised a modular system where the boxes I am likely to need are put in a plastic bucket easily reached from my throne.

View attachment 26345
Start of the slippery slope that, my friend!

Golden Eagle

Reaction score
Take a walk down your street and calculate how much people have spent on cars. £100,000 won’t get you far past the mum’s who ferry their kids to school!

Alan Whitty

Reaction score
I do agree,but a car is a virtual essential,plus you need a transit sized van to get your tackle to the venue,I suppose what I'm saying is that you tend to build up tackle over several years to reach a point your happy with it,these guys change their make of tackle in its entirety every few years,from clothing,luggage,poles,rods,reels,banksticks,the lot,its a bit of a joke around here,the guys can't compete in the matches but do that,as I said before,spend your money on whatever you want,but I'm positive some of these people are buying it on the knock,which would be a concern for me at least...

@Clive

Reaction score
Take a walk down your street and calculate how much people have spent on cars. £100,000 won’t get you far past the mum’s who ferry their kids to school!
You don't know where I live. I'll bet €50k would easily cover it. In fact, in the whole village I don't know of anyone who has bought a new car in the 10 years we have lived here.