Seat box accessories...

Alan Whitty

Reaction score
I think I do understand what he means Clive,I live on a council estate(I do however own my 3 bed home I'm glad to say),when you see people dropping their kids off to school many have new mercs,bmw's,range rovers,are they all drug dealers,who knows...

Last edited:

Golden Eagle

Reaction score
Yes, I wasn’t being so literal about any specific street, obviously I don’t know anyone’s actual street, just making the point that people seem to spend a lot of money on cars.

As a matchman myself, I’m actually in the market for a new vehicle. I’ve looked at vans and baulked at the cost. I’ve eventually compromised on a Dacia Jogger, which is a 7 seater car where the back row of seats can be removed. Combined with a roof top box, I’m hopeful to get all my gear in!

peytr

Reaction score
I spend small change on seast box accessories. I got many accessories for free, even

I keep everything at yesteryears standards and only buy top quality second hand stuff (or at least what I consider to be top quality). You can get about everything you can get today, looking and feeling a bit different but functionally the same.

I don't use a station litteraly, but a light platform (I even have two, one that converts to a trolley), a classic seat box and side boxes & tables, rests, supports etc that fit the platfom (16mm) feet. No one uses these and the standard has been around for decades, so there's accessories in about every garage box.

What strikes me most is that my complete 'station' is doing it's job and -including the platform- is lighter than the latest contraption in orange, lime, aqua or whatever Lamborghini color they're coming up with next year. I didn't compare to carbon stations, however.

Actually the 16mm stuff is still being manufactured today and can be ordered to spec when you cannot find this or that bit second hand. They even make what you can imagine, but I hardly ever need to.

@Clive

Reaction score
I spend small change on seast box accessories. I got many accessories for free, even

I keep everything at yesteryears standards and only buy top quality second hand stuff (or at least what I consider to be top quality). You can get about everything you can get today, looking and feeling a bit different but functionally the same.

I don't use a station litteraly, but a light platform (I even have two, one that converts to a trolley), a classic seat box and side boxes & tables, rests, supports etc that fit the platfom (16mm) feet. No one uses these and the standard has been around for decades, so there's accessories in about every garage box.

What strikes me most is that my complete 'station' is doing it's job and -including the platform- is lighter than the latest contraption in orange, lime, aqua or whatever Lamborghini color they're coming up with next year. I didn't compare to carbon stations, however.

Actually the 16mm stuff is still being manufactured today and can be ordered to spec when you cannot find this or that bit second hand. They even make what you can imagine, but I hardly ever need to.
There is a similar discussion currently on a French fishing forum. Some complain about the ridiculously high prices of accessories for the newer models of top range brands whilst others advocate buying second hand and / or accessories from lower priced brands such as The Decathlon range.

nottskev

Reaction score

After a few years using a stripped down version of an Octbox, I'm doing something very similar to your "top quality yesteryear standards".

I've just transferred all my bits and pieces into a mint Boss Compact box from the mid 90's. Empty, you can pick it up with one finger under the strap and the wood/fibreglass construction is svelte and pleasing, compared to the all-metal Octbox. I picked it up second-hand for less than the price of a space-station side tray. Its carrying capacity to weight ratio beats anything I can find on the market today.

Bb11.jpg

BB12.jpg

I've a bolt-on footrest if I need it, and I carry a small platform in the boot that sorts out any bank that leg adjustment and footplate can't make comfortable. Its construction appears lightweight, but quality and weight aren't the same. I'm still using an old version of the same box that's getting on for 30 years old, and I've failed to wear it out or break anything. Ok, I managed to wear the label out. I made a plain lid ie no drawers and use it when I'm fishing a simple method or have to rove about a bit. I've also been using it, having tried a couple of chairs, for barbel fishing as its much smaller footprint and long leg adjustment lets me fit it on small ledges on steep banks where chairs won't fit.

boss 15.jpg

The square legs are 18mm, once a popular size, so as you say there are lots of old attachments going cheap, and besides I've little interest in attaching things to boxes beyond a side tray of some sort. I'll even resort to radical options like sticking a rod rest in the ground or putting a bowl of groundbait on the floor.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
After a few years using a stripped down version of an Octbox, I'm doing something very similar to your "top quality yesteryear standards".

I've just transferred all my bits and pieces into a mint Boss Compact box from the mid 90's. Empty, you can pick it up with one finger under the strap and the wood/fibreglass construction is svelte and pleasing, compared to the all-metal Octbox. I picked it up second-hand for less than the price of a space-station side tray. Its carrying capacity to weight ratio beats anything I can find on the market today.

View attachment 26396

View attachment 26397

I've a bolt-on footrest if I need it, and I carry a small platform in the boot that sorts out any bank that leg adjustment and footplate can't make comfortable. Its construction appears lightweight, but quality and weight aren't the same. I'm still using an old version of the same box that's getting on for 30 years old, and I've failed to wear it out or break anything. Ok, I managed to wear the label out. I made a plain lid ie no drawers and use it when I'm fishing a simple method or have to rove about a bit. I've also been using it, having tried a couple of chairs, for barbel fishing as its much smaller footprint and long leg adjustment lets me fit it on small ledges on steep banks where chairs won't fit.

View attachment 26398

The square legs are 18mm, once a popular size, so as you say there are lots of old attachments going cheap, and besides I've little interest in attaching things to boxes beyond a side tray of some sort. I'll even resort to radical options like sticking a rod rest in the ground or putting a bowl of groundbait on the floor.
The Boss stickers are available on eBay .
36mm PI attachments will fit with adaptors.

nottskev

Reaction score
The Boss stickers are available on eBay .
36mm PI attachments will fit with adaptors.

Hi Mark There's some bloke there offering a Boss sticker for £18! I wonder where he should stick it?

I'm managing to find a few square leg fittings and I've a few left over thanks to my hoarding habits.

I think those are PI legs on the new box in the pic. The original legs have small plastic feet that will break on uneven ground.

Have you used your ASI box much yet? I see they have a fb page.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Hi keV , I paid £10 for a pair for my boss box of eBay .
Yep the AS1 is a grab n go box .
The legs are 19mm and I can put PI attachments on them if required .
a few say they are heavy , but they are lighter than some modern boxes , plus the way the strap is fitted ,the point of balance is brilliant .
Yep they have ASI owners FB page .
There are a couple up for sale at the moment £150 , There is a trend for AS1, Boss, Platform Uk , and Brilo boxes all UK made., they are fetching good money.
A mate is putting his on eBay , I put him onto it a couple of years ago , he really cleaned it up . Used it and now selling it .
Someone does custom built frames and platform for them , They lol the business.

nottskev

Reaction score
Nice boxes. I especially like the compact one - the originals are fine but a bit too big for what I need.

The smooth aluminium footplate on my Boss Compact was a bit slippy. I found aralditing on some strips cut from a rough sanding belt cured that

ftp.jpg

I like the frame on the smaller box. I've long wished I had a small platform trolley for mine.
A base just wide enough to take the box feet, a rim to keep them there, just enough space in front for your feet, points to attach handles at one end and a wheel underneath at the other. The dimensions of commercial ones are much bigger than I need. I mail ordered a Daiwa one once. It was like a pool table. I also tried a Powawalker electric trolley. They were going to make it in concrete but they found a metal that was heavier. If you could lift it in and out of the boot, you were fit enough not to need it. I'm told the leg system on my Octbox will support 300kg; top choice for a Grizzly Bear, but I weigh 75. I'm thinking I'll look for someone to fabricate one to my spec.

mikench

Reaction score
EBE2BC96-74F4-4911-82C3-AA962CB17919.jpeg

i doubt I will ever use my Milo canal box which has an aluminium platform for it( not Milo) and which is very light. If anyone is wanting one I will sell it but I’m not fussed either way. I paid £130 for it and will sell it for the same price.

nottskev

Reaction score
View attachment 26411
i doubt I will ever use my Milo canal box which has an aluminium platform for it( not Milo) and which is very light. If anyone is wanting one I will sell it but I’m not fussed either way. I paid £130 for it and will sell it for the same price.

That's a cute box, Mike. Is there a drawer or tray under the seat? I'm interested in that minimal keepnet/rod-rest holder. Trust the Italians to come up with something way less clunky than the average meccano cantilever. I've a few small pieces of kit from Italian firms. The Stonfo catalogue is full of neat solutions

mikench

Reaction score
There is a deep drawer under the lid which takes a tackle box, a box of floats , reel and other bits and pieces. The attachment on the left front leg in the photo is a Korum any chair attachment for a rod rest arm or keep net. I used it with a Korum rod rest arm as the bank on the Bridgewater canal had solid concrete about an inch down so bank sticks couldn’t be used. I have a side tray which goes over the legs. I tried to go light.

Alan Whitty

Reaction score
Just watch the 'Winning Ways' video on YouTube called Jamie Hughes fishing tackle,just look how many top kits he carries for an average match,apparently he has loads more made up in his tackle room,then wonder how the average Joe could begin to compete,then look at his gear in general,doesn't even show a rod from what I saw....

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
View attachment 26411
Trabbucco do a similar version with round legs and the option to add on if required . Called Genius. One option can have the legs removed ,fastened underneath ,and carried like a briefcase.
I was going to get one until I dropped onto my AS1.
Your Milo will accept drawer units from early ,PI, Maver ,Daiwa ,Leeda.
Leeda being the cheapest option . Many made in same factory, just badged differently on the final build.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
I should be preparing for the match tomorrow but I find myself drooling looking at the pictures in this thread :p.
The AS1 on the custom frame and footplate is in regular use .
The frame and footplate are around £250.
Plus you have the option of removing the box from the frame and fitting it back on its base .
An AS1 and Boss box with square legs will accept PI fittings . Pl fitting from other major brands
Same as a Platform UK box another good looking box, Brilo boxes with octopus legs will also take PI fittings using an adaptor.
A Platform UK seatbox pictured .
s-l400.png

Last edited:

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Hi Mark There's some bloke there offering a Boss sticker for £18! I wonder where he should stick it?

I'm managing to find a few square leg fittings and I've a few left over thanks to my hoarding habits.

I think those are PI legs on the new box in the pic. The original legs have small plastic feet that will break on uneven ground.

Have you used your ASI box much yet? I see they have a fb page.
They are Original PI legs by the look of it . Didn't the boss legs have plastic bases the could be fitted over the metal foot if required ?