Should casters be banned

nottskev

Reaction score
That's news to me, Gary - what's the story?

Alan Whitty

Reaction score
I believe Gary is talking about Lindeholm fishery, they banned their use as it was putting anglers off because of the expense, using up to a gallon of caster, in my opinion a bait limit might be better, but knowing the cheating so and so's that are out there some anglers will try to fiddle the limits....

Alan Whitty

Reaction score
Couldn't agree more Keith, I watched a UK Championship match on YouTube at Rookery Waters , Cambs I believe, the match had 3 weights over 200lbs, 260lbs or thereabouts top, the guy who came third was the angler who had the channel, well where he was was looked like a small lily lined bay, but there were three pegs at least in it, at least two of them looked to be bagging, how many fish were in that bay,it was a fair sized match and I believe all but one section was won with over 100lbs, the stock levels must be enormous...

rayner

Reaction score
Lindholme is a venue where the more you feed = the more you catch. A limit on bait was decided against because the owners did not want to check anglers. Limits leave room to cheat a total ban is easier to police with anglers watching each other.

Philip

Reaction score
Sounds like the owner should ban all baits in that case. They can just draw a lottery ticket from a hat to decide who wins.

I'm all for it ! ...i could attend a match with Bob Nudd in it and then have bragging rights that I beat him.:D

Alan Whitty

Reaction score
Trouble is Mike I can remember matches on the Trent where the winner fed 6 pints of caster, plus 8 pints of maggot back when there were hordes of hungry chub, bit like the Wye, lots of bait required, on Lindholme perhaps a lower stock level might require less bait, there must be almost more fish than water, sorry something has to change, give each angler an aquarium and fifty fish in each, see who wins...

riverman

Reaction score
How ridiculous!

This smacks of something raised by a few skinflint match anglers who have not been winning.
spot on peter.i try to avoid match venues and overstocked lakes if i can which at times is somewhat difficult.the one thing i would like to see is all these stillwater match anglers who's motto is 'catch catch catch' tackle a river.🤣🤣🤣🤣

RMNDIL

Reaction score
I believe Gary is talking about Lindeholm fishery, they banned their use as it was putting anglers off because of the expense, using up to a gallon of caster, in my opinion a bait limit might be better, but knowing the cheating so and so's that are out there some anglers will try to fiddle the limits....
And then........................a gallon of bait being fed for hungry chub was in use 45 years ago. No bait bans or limits then. 6 pints was the minimum/norm and taken to EVERY winter league I can think of on the Thames in case you drew anywhere where the chub were (we should have been sensible and bought bait as a team so it could be given to the 2 or 3 who might need it).

I weighed in 54lb of chub once at Carrotsham and ran out of bait with an hour to go !!!!! Felt a right twit. 61lb of bream won - back then that was 3 chub max.

No-one ever complained of bait cost.

Aknib

Reaction score
I'm wondering if bait cost is not really the issue, and that commercial fisheries are?

Only wondering mind...

The 'back in the day' strategy of carrying lots of expensive bait could have been on the off chance that you drew a good peg on a natural venue where as the current, modern day commercial strategy is the more you chuck in the more you'll catch regardless of the draw?

A bit like modern football, the more you spend the better you'll receive so why not negate the matches and just bid for the trophies?

I'm struggling to see any other difference.

Alan Whitty

Reaction score
They were having anglers not entering the matches as 32 quids worth of casters is not affordable to all, especially when you may not draw well enough to use them... its fine when you can afford it, saying that there will always be someone who can't afford their bait, I agree Steve that it's commercial fisheries that are to blame, but not all of them, those that don't have super excessive stock levels are brilliant for angling, giving safe places to fish and park, with nice swims...

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
Probably what I spend in a year! I probably get through two bags of boilies and a little groundbait. Otherwise it's paste in various forms and natural baits.

:unsure: Maybe that's why I catch so few fish?
I read recently of someone winning a big match , unfortunately can't recall the anglers name ,and he is well known .
He used a pint of maggots and about half a bag of pellets .
Goes to show you don't need lots of bait to win .
That's cheap I would say for a gallon of casters , at the moment I'm paying £3.50 for a pint of maggots. At one time I used to bulk my maggot or pinkie feed up with boiled rice , A few handfuls of that looke like dead maggots .

@Clive

Reaction score
Probably what I spend in a year! I probably get through two bags of boilies and a little groundbait. Otherwise it's paste in various forms and natural baits.

:unsure: Maybe that's why I catch so few fish?
That does surprise me Steve. Although to be fair you do catch more than your fair share of whoppers :)

On the big, natural river that you fish I would put in at least three or four large droppers of small particles; milled maize, hemp, wheat, maggots, etc plus micro pellets to create a scent trail before I started fishing. I also make my groundbait smelly by allowing it to ferment and including some Oily Bag Mix or Robin Red sauce in it. Then I would top up after every fish. Clip up the dropper rod, transfer the distance to your fishing rod and you should be bang on. Hang a feeder or pva bag on to give them something to home on to.

Since Philip mentioned that Pacific Peche sell maggots at reasonable prices I've been amending my route to the Charente to pick up some on the way. Strangely Angouleme charge €7,40 for half a litre whereas at Limoges last week they were €2 cheaper and they discounted to €5. Lobworms were also €2 a tub cheaper than Angouleme. I freeze whatever maggots I have left over and use them in the dropper on my next session.