Should casters be banned

Keith M

Reaction score
But then the puddle chuckers would all be fishing OUR rivers! :confused: And we can't have that.
But once they actually had to learn what watercraft is really about in our rivers; a lot of them would be lost.

I suspect that this is the only watercraft that some of them might have heard about :)

Keith

Last edited:

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
But once they actually had to learn what watercraft is really about in our rivers; most of them would be lost.

I suspect that this is the only watercraft that they might have heard about :)

Or this

Keith
A lot of commercial anglers , were brought up on canals and rivers , myself included .
Look at some of the top names who fish the canal pairs matches , riverfest ,fisho mania,golden reel,feeder matches , they are all good any venue anglers ,A lot of them are top angling coaches as well .

rayner

Reaction score
There's a propensity for natural water anglers to believe commercial anglers are a bunch of thickos that know nothing of watercraft or even angling in general. I think they are stuck in a rift the folk fishing commies never fished rivers or reservoirs. That'll be true then.

Alan Whitty

Reaction score
One thing Gary on watercraft, match anglers on commercials show little signs of watercraft, apart from the plumbing up side, that said commercial fish(carp) respond to feed during the summer months, any easy venue, that includes natural ones is all about feeding and finding where fish are likely to prefer to feed, standing up and waving your arms about yelling shows no watercraft at all....

Last edited:

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
One thing Gary on watercraft, match anglers on commercials show little signs if watercraft, apart from the plumbing up side, that said commercial fish(carp) respond to feed during the summer months, any easy venue, that includes natural ones is all about feeding and finding where fish are likely to prefer to feed, standing up and waving your arms about yelling shows no watercraft at all....
Yet some of these same Match anglers fish for England ,
Some win matches like riverfest and golden reel . Some are the best angling coaches in the country on all types of venue .
So watercraft. is involved .

Alan Whitty

Reaction score
Watercraft, as in knowing fish live on certain features a depths yes, just throwing your tackle down in your peg and then setting up oil rigs but not understanding why the fish don't come in the margins until the last knockings doesn't show any...

@Clive

Reaction score
Just because a good all round match angler is successful on commercials doesn't mean that water craft in the sense that is being discussed here, is involved. They may win because of their other abilities.

I had the mis fortune to fish commercials twice when accompanying friends on camping trips. Basically he chose easy waters. The one at Tuxford had absolutely no features whatsoever so other than wind direction everything was uniform. Even all the f1's were the same size. It was like Mr. Castwell's unfortunate experience in heaven.

The one near to St. Ives had a few features, but the anglers chose to fish where it was convenient for them, not where the fish ought to be. I didn't fish until the evening and then stalked carp in the reed margins just dropping bread bait where the reeds were moving. I caught two carp of around 5lb and 8lb in 15 minutes before the owner came and put a stop to it because I wasn't fishing in a recognised peg :rolleyes:

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
That's why they are good on all venues .
I used to fish with a works club when I was about ,13 onwards . On the coach to the venues , be it the Severn, Dee,Jumbles Res or Bridgewater canal ,a draw was made on the coach to see if it was float only or leger,/feeder only .
Watercraft was needed then . And good casting ability.
The club is still going , but now it's use own car and the venues are commercials, I am trying to get a couple of canal matches down for next year as well .
Fish in the margins can be caught anytime in the day ,The trick is not to plunder them straight away . By all means Mick a few to give you a start for a weight .

@Clive

Reaction score
You keep mentioning watercraft without explaining what you are talking about. Drawing a peg isn't watercraft. Picking a random way of fishing isn't watercraft. Choosing to fish nearest the car park isn't watercraft.

RMNDIL

Reaction score
The problem is, is that not everyone attending these matches can afford 6 pints of casters, so if the top guys want to keep harvesting the pool money they might want to go with the ban to keep the attendances up a little, add to that these not so well off anglers aren't spending 2 thousand plus on poles etc...
Not everyone could afford the bait bills from back then either. But, there weren't many choices of match to go on as an alternative. Unlike now where there are matches dotted around here there and everywhere - albeit much smaller.

It's like not pegging fliers or off-pegging and trying to even everything up in various team events as much as you can. If you take away Mr Average's chance of drawing & winning then his, most likely, main reason for fishing the matches goes out of the window, attendances drop and then the so called 'top' anglers end up with hardly anyone to fish against.

Alan Whitty

Reaction score
Yet some of these same Match anglers fish for England ,
Some win matches like riverfest and golden reel . Some are the best angling coaches in the country on all types of venue .
So watercraft. is involved .

Well Mark, in international matches it is a matter of loads of people wearing multi coloured clothing with loads of things going on behind them, coaching anglers to those standards doesn't line you up as being successful as you could be within general angling, if anybody thinks match anglers are the best at everything they are naive at best, match anglers are brilliant at dealing with the cards they are dealt but they would catch a lot more if they crept up to their pegs and didn't throw their kit in their swims, or didn't yell to their mates on the other bank jumping up and down, watercraft is a wide spectrum and using these things to your advantage can only help...

Alan Whitty

Reaction score
It isn't just Mr Average who suffers with the cost of a gallon of casters, there are plenty of very good anglers who can't warrant the cost of a gallon of casters along with the high cost of pools, even now many matches are relatively small, if Jamie Hughes wants a knock up with Andy May for a two hundred quid that is where it is heading, greed is what it's about in many forms, anglers want 1000lbs plus, why so much, anglers want to feed a gallon if casters to catch more F1's, why when twenty pounds less in summer on other baits is still very competitive, to me strict limits would lead to the better anglers finding innovative techniques to catch more fish, international matches are fished to bait limits why not ours...

rayner

Reaction score
Feeding slop at F1 fisheries works a treat, bites all day can't be bettered some days even with casters. feeding up to 20 pints of casters with my limitations I would struggle to get my baited hook in the water.