Silly names for rods

steve2

Reaction score
I wonder if there is a ministry for silly rod names, Just like the one that tries to convince anglers that that you need certain rods to catch certain species of fish.

nottskev

Reaction score
When it comes to talking (MAP) Parabolix, I'd say Preston Innovations take the biscuit, managing to combine three levels of nonsense in one name.

There's the magic particle X which connotes scientific design - as in Durex, Sinex, Tampax, Timex etc.

Then there's the cheesy pun, as in Guru N-Gauge

And the martial hyperbole which re-imagines fat blokes bothering fish in a pond as dragon-slaying fighters, as in Middy Battlezone.

Can you beat the Preston Innovations Monster X Wandzee?

Alan Whitty

Reaction score
Must have had a load of buyer, admitting to their quality of angling....😏

peterjg

Reaction score
Shimano Beastmaster, I have two of them, nice rods but very silly name.

Richard Bartlett

Reaction score
Not a commercial rod, but one I made way back in the 70's. A lovely Simpsons of Turnford glass blank, 12' pike job which, curiously, turned out to be something of a lucky rod with which I caught quite a few decent fish over the years. The blank itself used a semi-translucent glass which, in the sun glowed a beautiful deep claret colour - quite remarkable! It was christened The Sunshine Rod by my mates. I've still got it somewhere as I can't bring myself to move it on!

John Aston

Reaction score
Stop it Richard , I'm getting flashbacks now. Nurse...

My candidate is an unassuming lure rod I own - called a Fox Rage Bushwhacker XLNT 2 . Sounds like I am packing heat , not chucking a plug - ooops crankbait - around.

I also bristle when every item of angling clothing is guaranteed to sport some feature described as technical . Zip , pockets, fabric , you name it .

@Clive

Reaction score
Stop it Richard , I'm getting flashbacks now. Nurse...

My candidate is an unassuming lure rod I own - called a Fox Rage Bushwhacker XLNT 2 . Sounds like I am packing heat , not chucking a plug - ooops crankbait - around.

I also bristle when every item of angling clothing is guaranteed to sport some feature described as technical . Zip , pockets, fabric , you name it .
Yep. Technical, Special Forces, Pro or Professional all turn me off. I have only come across one product with Pro or Professional in its name that were actually designed for professional use. And that was a camera!