Silly names for rods

Aknib

Reaction score
What about the sea fishing rod. The Porky Pig
Daiwa did a Porky Pig feeder rod some time ago.

I reckon if I were to conjure up a rod name i'd call it something like Malcolm, I reckon you'd know what you are getting with a rod named Malcolm.

Poles are just as bad, i'm not up on modern poles but the Maver Medusa springs to mind, Beastmaster and Yank 'N Bank following closely behind.

Was it Drennan who did the Puddle Chucker range of rods?

I'm lost with it all!

On a more positive note I paid a very rare and opportune visit to a Decathlon store whilst shopping in Chesterfield this afternoon and I was quite impressed with the quality of rods for the asking price, I reckon the OP's budget would get him something pretty decent although i'm guessing it's patchy what each store stocks but possibly worth a punt if there's an outlet nearby.

I waggled some really nice pellet waggler rods but I am put off by the pellet waggler label, not least because I don't fish the pellet waggler but I also like rods with a more all round appeal in terms of their application but i'm certain a few of these would make very good all round float rods.

chevin4

Reaction score
Armalite rods and blanks named after a rifle favoured by terrorist groups. Built by Century to be fair they were beautiful through actioned rods and described in the ads as players rods.

Aknib

Reaction score
I must apologise Mike...

Major senior moment!

I've just realised I incorporated comments regarding suggestions aimed at Dalesman's thread regarding a new float rod, i'd read that thread previously and forgotten i'd skipped to another.

Nurse...

Nurse... :ROFLMAO:

mikench

Reaction score
No need Steve. As an inveterate off post exponent , I fully understand. It’s what makes a thread interesting.😉

Ged28

Reaction score
I'd rather fish with a Hardy Dilettante or a Drennan Flaneur than an Ugly Stik. Tackle names are becoming as absurdly macho as crew cab pick ups - Predator , Titan , Ram etc- wonder if you can buy a Molester yet ?
I've got a couple of Warlords and a Shogun, though a Flaneur would probably be more suited.

Badgerale

Reaction score
I've got a Daiwa Ninja and a Black widow - going for the stealthy assassin approach to fishing. I almost feel I should ditch the jacket and wellies and come dressed in black with a red bandana.

I'm not sure what Fox were going for with my 'Rage Warrior' - some sort of dystopian mad max style of pike fishing I suppose.

Last edited:

@Clive

Reaction score
I'd rather fish with a Hardy Dilettante or a Drennan Flaneur than an Ugly Stik. Tackle names are becoming as absurdly macho as crew cab pick ups - Predator , Titan , Ram etc- wonder if you can buy a Molester yet ?
The 'unbreakable' Ugly Stik rods that I have are actually pretty good. The 9' spinning rod was mostly used on my kayak back home, but since moving to France has accounted for more than a dozen 20lb+ catfish while spinning an old Voblex. I think that it would make a damned good stalking rod for carp. The 6-10oz Uptider is my 'to go' catfish dead baiting rod. It will cast a large mackerel with ease.

nottskev

Reaction score
Rods tend to be long and thin, and I've always thought Sphere an odd name for one.
Daft names abound, but it's the lurid flashes of colour and cheap-looking graphics on some rods that put me off. I've got a couple here that are excellent rods, a Drennan Matchpro Ultralight, a Daiwa Spectron 11/13, but tempt me to reach for a paint spray.

chevin4

Reaction score
Savage Gear produce some light lure/drop shotting rods named Bushwacker.

John Aston

Reaction score
Because some anglers seem to regard their fishing as just another outlet for their machismo . Hence the tough guy language ('aggressive rigs', 'rock hard water' etc , FFS ) employed by those who treat catching a few dumb fish from a pond as if it were an undercover SAS exercise .

sam vimes

Reaction score
Because some anglers seem to regard their fishing as just another outlet for their machismo . Hence the tough guy language ('aggressive rigs', 'rock hard water' etc , FFS ) employed by those who treat catching a few dumb fish from a pond as if it were an undercover SAS exercise .

I'm not convinced that you can link the macho nonsense to the British military. They tend to use some inoffensive operation names that are rather lacking obvious machismo. Arguably, the most prominent was the UK Operation name for what the Yanks called Desert Storm/Shield/Fox/Sabre. Our name for it was Operation Granby. I can't recall all of the ops I was involved with but Op Engadine/Agricola (Kosovo), Op Telic (2003 Iraq War, US op name: Iraqi Freedom) and Op Fresco (Fireman's Strike) are some I do remember.

xenon

Reaction score
why these firms think anglers are all ex-special forces, christ knows. Fishing is about as far from abseiling from helicopters with bad guys shooting at you with semi automatic weapons as you can get. (apart from flower arranging)

John Aston

Reaction score
I'm not convinced that you can link the macho nonsense to the British military. They tend to use some inoffensive operation names that are rather lacking obvious machismo. Arguably, the most prominent was the UK Operation name for what the Yanks called Desert Storm/Shield/Fox/Sabre. Our name for it was Operation Granby. I can't recall all of the ops I was involved with but Op Engadine/Agricola (Kosovo), Op Telic (2003 Iraq War, US op name: Iraqi Freedom) and Op Fresco (Fireman's Strike) are some I do remember.
Sure- and Operation Market Garden too (Arnhem ).But usage of military imagery and language does undoubtedly appeal to the demographic whish gets moist over Bear Grylls talking tough , Celebrity SAS and similar guff .