Simon Pavey Memorial Big Perch challenge.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
We decided to give the Perch challenge a new name in memory of Simon who was such a friend to this forum.

Steve (Aknib) is designing and making a suitable trophy featuring one of his excellent perch floats mounted on an inscribed plinth.

The rules are the same as before so only perch caught after September the first and before the end of the coarse season will be eligible.

A photograph and accurate weight are needed with the entry and if possible the weighing should be witnessed.

The location should be noted (if it doesn’t contravene some clubs rules)
The method and bait if used should be noted.

Please use this thread to submit your entry but a copy in Simon’s HDYGO thread would be nice.

Also use this thread to ask any questions so everyone will get to see the answers.

I will maintain the list of entries and adjudicate the winner.

Good luck to everyone.

Last edited:

Aknib

Reaction score
Thanks for doing this Peter, i'm sure Simon would be chuffed to bits to know that his memory lives on so strong throughout FM.

Just one thing to clarify if I may...

I think that Simon introduced a rule to say that any claimant must have made ten (?) forum posts prior to their entry, in order for their catch to be eligible.

I'm thinking that this will still be the case?

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Why not hold a memorial match as well in his memory , ?
Finding a central location is always difficult noting the very different locations of our members.

There was a thread earlier on this topic and very few indicated a preference for a match.

Can I ask that we keep this thread to the Big Perch Challenge.

John Aston

Reaction score
Well, I will have to do my best, and serious perching starts soon. As before , I trust lack of a witness (I invariably fish alone) and vagueness about location will not disqualify any submissions ? Perch don't like pressure and I wouldn't jeopardise my sport by even hinting where I am fishing on a public forum .

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
This is the memorial trophy kindly made by Steve (Aknib)

So, let's start seeing some of these lovely autmn perch on the list which is now officially . . . open . . . .

1.JPG

Last edited:

John Aston

Reaction score
Well , here's my first of the Autumn - a nice fish of 2-9 , from a Yorkshire Dales river . It's a common haunt for me but the fish came from a swim I've never had a single perch from before. On a 2.5 inch pink paddle tail, fished on a size 1 , 3g jig .
perch 23.jpg

sam vimes

Reaction score
I've not had a particularly large perch for quite a few years, not since the last peak perch period on one of my local rivers. This year it would appear that this river is getting there again. I've been catching quite a few 1lb plus perch over the summer. Unfortunately, these perch tend to migrate downstream with the roach and dace. This leaves me with only a short window to catch an Autumn/Winter fish. Well, I caught one today. Unfortunately, I forgot my scales, rendering this as one of the most pointless posts ever. Not that it helps at all, but I'd guesstimate it as a big two, perhaps a scraper three if I were lucky. Knowing my luck, it'll be another five years or so until I see the like again.

Big Perch 260923.jpg

ian g

Reaction score
Lovely fish Sam , I had a few on Sunday from the Severn best around 1 3/4 . Luckily they usually stick around for the winter

john step

Reaction score
Not posted for a while for various reasons and fishing taking 2nd fiddle to family commitments but seeing how its for Simon I will add this one.
Simon gave me a seat box to trial which I sold on to make proceeds for his cancer charity.
In the box was an old bait dropper which I could keep.
Well this Monday I used it on the Trent whilst trotting to assist in the following capture to kick off with.
Simon must have been smiling down on me.

A trio of perch amongst smaller ones. Biggest I weighed at 3lb 3ozs. No witness being a solitary old misery.

img share

John Aston

Reaction score
It has been a grueller , my perch fishing this winter. Floods were a pain and even when the rivers were ok the perch weren't at home . But a glimmer of light today , on a different river , the Swale . Three 2s in first 3 casts 2-2, 2-3 and 2-11 , a 2-4 later and a mid two lost at the net. All on legered lobworm using 11ft Drennan Avon 1,25 tc . Now where is that three ???

ian g

Reaction score
John , same here , can't remember the last time I fished the Severn not sat on top of the bank.. Nice perch though.

John Aston

Reaction score
Another five 2s from the same area as Monday's post referred to. 2-2 2-4, 2-4 , 2-7 and 2-12 ; one similar size lost and a couple missed . Dropshot lobworm . Last year I had four 1-15s from the same swim, and suspect these are the same fish with a little weight put on , probably from the signals. One of the few upsides of them is that a catch like this would have been unimaginable 20 years ago from this river .

John Aston

Reaction score
Here's a very nice fish from the Swale today; my best from this river. A very powerful fish and I thought it might make three when I first saw it. Caught on a pink paddletail on a size 1 , using dropshot rig. Others of 1-14 (x2 ) and 2-2 . Good sport.
swale 24.jpg

sam vimes

Reaction score
Here's a very nice fish from the Swale today; my best from this river. A very powerful fish and I thought it might make three when I first saw it. Caught on a pink paddletail on a size 1 , using dropshot rig. Others of 1-14 (x2 ) and 2-2 . Good sport.
View attachment 29096

John, apart from it not being a three, you've not stated its weight.

ian g

Reaction score
Nice fish John. have really struggled on the Severn , to be fair I have struggled to even fish it . I plan to go tomorrow and see if there are any perch about