Slider Ups & Downs

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
Like these Ray.

No, they are the one’s that I squash a bit.
0e1c6af960224e87e44a711f39d6f013.jpg

These are the one’s with the brass bush, they are brilliant for slider fishing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nottskev

Reaction score
These tiny Middy links are the ones I use, just in the interest of keeping it all light and neat as possible. You can only fit them on a float with a thin eye and it's a bit fiddly so I have one already attached to any float I'm likely to use as a slider. With one batch of floats, I had nothing to make an end peg/ring with, so I put the little adapter on a folded piece of 15lb line and glued the line into the foam base. A short cut, but the floats fish as well as any. If you set up with the float held a few feet off the bulk, as I do, it seems best to keep the float as light as possible so when cast it follows the bulk out and isn't competing to keep up with it/ get ahead of it as a heavy float would.

Sl.jpg

rayner

Reaction score
Loaded floats are my choice, a number 4 shot four feet from the bulk. I preferred small-eyed floats to prevent the float from drifting up the line on the cast. I tried to fish with an unloaded float, for me, it just caused too many tangles. The bulk three feet from the hook coupled with a shot 4 feet from the bulk giving the float seven feet from the hook, was virtually tangle-free.

Reaction score
Mike,the longer tag ends fold so go through the rings,shorter tag ends act like bristles and catch on every ring,sometimes this can create a snatching action impeding the cast and winding as well which can cause the knot to move...

Philip

Reaction score
Very interesting thread.

It just occured to me that the float adapters I use are home made ones made from a swivel pushed into a longish bit of silicon tubing which allows the float to fold over on the strike meaning a cleaner pull to the hook.

...the thing is I am pretty sure I got the idea from a Dave Coster feature in the mail years ago !...if my memory serves me well he was fishing Perth Harbour for Roach. ...haha strange how things come round again. ...anyway thanks for the idea Dave its served me well.

nottskev

Reaction score
Very interesting thread.

It just occured to me that the float adapters I use are home made ones made from a swivel pushed into a longish bit of silicon tubing which allows the float to fold over on the strike meaning a cleaner pull to the hook.

...the thing is I am pretty sure I got the idea from a Dave Coster feature in the mail years ago !...if my memory serves me well he was fishing Perth Harbour for Roach. ...haha strange how things come round again. ...anyway thanks for the idea Dave its served me well.

I could be wrong Philip, but I think I remember Dave Coster featuring that water in one of the instalments of the Anglers Mail Fishing Year book he wrote in around 1990. Doing his trademark mix of taking you through tackle and tactics in a session. I bought another copy - mine disappeared long ago - off ebay yesterday when talking to Mike reminded me.

Philip

Reaction score
You could be right Kev, it would have been @early 90s & it was one of the those Dave Coster goes fishing features done in a cartoon format and it may well have been in an anglers mail yearly book/annual rather than the weekly magazine.

He had a load of Roach up to about a pound and a half and I was drooling and thinking I gotta get up to Perth Harbour ..

nottskev

Reaction score
That's the one! He also did a Coarse Fishing Guide around that time. Between the two, you had plenty of inspiration to improve your tactics and your rigs. His articles hit the spot for me: no secret waters or exclusive beats, just how to catch more on the kind of waters most of us can fish. I can't quite understand, though, how come he was a bit older than me then but he looks younger than me now.

Philip

Reaction score
I wondered that too...he hasnt changed much.

Let us know your secret Dave...as long as its not something like rubbing Gudgeon slime on your face twice a day for 30 years I'm in...:)

Keith M

Reaction score
You could be right Kev, it would have been @early 90s & it was one of the those Dave Coster goes fishing features done in a cartoon format and it may well have been in an anglers mail yearly book/annual rather than the weekly magazine.

He had a load of Roach up to about a pound and a half and I was drooling and thinking I gotta get up to Perth Harbour ..

I was told a few years ago; by someone on another forum who lives fairly close to Perth Harbour; that the boats carrying the grain that attracted those shoals of large roach no longer berth there; and neither are the shoals of large roach which were attracted by their spilt cargo.

I have the Coarse Fishing Year book you mentioned showing the fishing in the harbour; in my bookcase.

For those who are interested in the book in question; here’s a copy that’s for sale on Ebay

Keith

Last edited:

Crystal Bend

Reaction score
I do exactly the same as Mark g and it works for me.

I use silicone tube swivel float adapters with little brass bushes in the end, but I am almost out of them and I haven’t yet found a new supplier.
Ray, these might do a job for you. I've the Large Maver ones (haven't used yet) and they look tidy to slide up to a Stop Knot.

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
Ray, these might do a job for you. I've the Large Maver ones (haven't used yet) and they look tidy to slide up to a Stop Knot.

Thanks, I haven’t used this type before and they were out of stock. I’ve ordered some to try from Bristol Angling Centre.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Crystal Bend

Reaction score
I think they'll work really well @Ray Roberts with a standard Loaded\Unloaded Bodied Wagglers resting on a Stop Shot as the float will collapse nicely parallel with the Main Line on the cast.
I'm actually going to try make my Slider Rigs up on winders on 0.25mm Fluorocarbon as Matt Godfreys recommends & use a Small Swivel as the Stop Shot.

nottskev

Reaction score
Very interesting thread.

My ebay copy turned up today. Here it is - Perth Harbour.

Dc10.jpg

flightliner

Reaction score
When I was in my teens Damflask was a venue I fished frequently.
It was extremely deep and in summertime standard floatfishing was ok to take fish on the drop or just pile in loads of "usk" that were given freely by tackle shops before "casters" became popular (nb, usk= what Sheffield anglers called turning maggots before adopting the word casters) that would get the roach in a feeding frenzy on a nice warm evening.
Come autumn and winter tho It was common then to use a version of a sliding ledger rig.
Very simple, a paternostererd arlesy bomb, a number six shot some two or three foot above to prevent tangles and suitable float with a big eye that was far removed from the tiny eyed floats that Billy lane used in the late 50s early 60s.
When cast the float would travel very little way and the rod would be positioned as shown in the sketch.
It worked very well, bites were very positive. I'd have no reservations using it now if ever I were to go back to the venue.

Attachments

• IMG_20220113_144025.jpg
    IMG_20220113_144025.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 69

Crystal Bend

Reaction score
I've never gone in for the loaded float/big bulk/casting with the float on the bulk, though. My floats are unloaded and take from 2.5AAA to 2 Swan. I've found 2.5AA is the minimum to ensure the line will pull through every time. Either shot or an olivette will do, as long as you put them on so they can easily be moved. I put a couple of no 8's a distance above the bulk to stop the float sliding down - at, say 7' if I'm fishing 11', 8' if 12', 13 or 14', typical depths for where I fish. Two stop knots pushed together are preferable to one that you have to tighten down more and kink the line, and I've never found beads necessary. This gives a much lighter set up compared to what may be needed to fish very deep water at longer distance.

I have a mix of home-made and old Drennans in that size range

View attachment 19046

The one on the right is an ancient favourite and has been splinted with bits of drinking straw.
Hi Kevin
I've reread this thread and others about Slider Float Fishing on the Forum and the posts you have made in them about your Light Slider Float method.
It obviously works very well for you and I'd like to give it a go myself for a water that has bird cage swims.
Unfortunately the Middy Waggler Links you use are not readily available anymore and I was wondering if you could do me a massive favour.
Could you please post a picture of one of the Waggler Links without the silicone sleeve.
If you could also please tell me the length of the Link, the gauge of the wire used, the diameter of the Slider Eye end & the Float attaching end that would be brilliant and very much appreciated.
With this information I will make up a small timber jig with some pins to make my own Waggler Links.
Many Thanks,
John

Last edited:

nottskev

Reaction score
Hi Kevin
I've reread this thread and others about Slider Float Fishing on the Forum and the posts you have made in them about your Light Slider Float method.
It obviously works very well for you and I'd like to give it a go myself for a water that has bird cage swims.
Unfortunately the Middy Waggler Links you use are not readily available anymore and I was wondering if you could do me a massive favour.
Could you please post a picture of one of the Waggler Links without the silicone sleeve.
If you could also please tell me the length of the Link, the gauge of the wire used, the diameter of the Slider Eye end & the Float attaching end that would be brilliant and very much appreciated.
With this information I will make up a small timber jig with some pins to make my own Waggler Links.
Many Thanks,
John

Hello John,
I'd send you some and save you the bother, but I'm down to the last few myself and will also be making my own before too long. I hope the pic shows the sizes well enough. I don't know what gauge the wire is, beyond "thin". The little sleeves are thick-walled with a bore just big enough to push the eye for the line through, and that holds the loop firmly closed.

The rings on some floats and some waggler attachments can be a bit too thick to move freely on the link (although I suppose you could make yours with a bigger float end) so on home-made floats I I make a ring with a loop of 15lb line.

They're fiddly to attach on the bank, so I leave the links on the floats. Tying stop knots is similarly fiddly, so I also keep a reel spool just for this method and leave the knots on.

I'll be interested to see how yours turn out.

A38.jpg

Crystal Bend

Reaction score
This is brilliant @nottskev
Thanks very much for taking the time to post back to me.
It's a massive help and I'll let you know how I get on making them when I get a chance.
Cheers
John

Alan Whitty

Reaction score
Screenshot_20240207_084102_Chrome.jpg

These work very well, though I prefer the original Drennan waggler adaptors with the old style swivels rather than the Berkley type newer version...

Last edited: