slow flowing rivers and trotting ...

associatedmatt

Reaction score
how do you trot a slow flowing river ?

when you look there is hardly no flow and i not done any trotting for over 15 years when was in early teens , i been advised to fishing with a waggler as its a stretch where gets matched fished alot of the pole .

thanks

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
For a slow flowing river then maybe a fluted float might be better for the conditions?

The greater circumference will 'grab' whatever current there is and present your bail more naturally.

A waggler can be used but it is better suited only when there is an upstream wind, as again that aids better presentation.

associatedmatt

Reaction score
Can you discribe what a fluted float is ? Stick floats don't work with a centre pin even if you lift to try to get it to start or pay of a bit of line

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

associatedmatt

Reaction score
Never seen them before , is there a particular name for them ?

---------- Post added at 04:24 ---------- Previous post was at 04:24 ----------

Assuming there attached top and bottom ?

---------- Post added at 04:31 ---------- Previous post was at 04:24 ----------

Was told if do use waggler just to use 2 no8 droppers I assume means you have bulk over half of depth or is this around the float ?

Am I right chub could be higher up in water so guessing starts at dead depth and keep shallowing up 9" ish at a time ?

thecrow

Reaction score
Never seen them before , is there a particular name for them ?

Fluted floats.
---------- Post added at 04:31 ---------- Previous post was at 04:24 ----------

Was told if do use waggler just to use 2 no8 droppers I assume means you have bulk over half of depth or is this around the float

I am no river float expert but I would have them around the float as most of the flow is at the surface even on a slow river

associatedmatt

Reaction score
I thought that when got told to have 2 no 8 droppers ... Googled fluted floats but seems not a easy available item like normal peacock wagglers

associatedmatt

Reaction score
Lost the auction at the last 10 seconds , il keep my eyes out for some more

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
My personal experience of using fluted floats wasn't good....I think they're pretty useless.
The ones i've seen have far to long of a body, too short a sight tip and too short and thick of a stem. This makes them difficult to see at range and when I used one in fast'ish water with a bit of a swell and chop the float would just lay flat so pretty much invisible for the biggest part as it sailed away. Even if someone made a fluted float (and they have because i've seen them) with a bolo shaped body, long sight tip and long thin stem I have a suspicion that they could cause line twist.
Imo a bolo float with a long sight tip, short'ish body and long slim carbon or wire stem (wire stem being best for fast turbulant and choppy water) is the best trotting float available and in their various sizes cover all conditions which again "imo" make stick floats pretty much redundant. Jmo folks!

---------- Post added at 17:39 ---------- Previous post was at 17:36 ----------

Lost the auction at the last 10 seconds , il keep my eyes out for some more

There are a few companies make decent floats, Steve Mahers (the float shop) are my favourites but Dave Harrel makes some great floats. Premier and maver do some good ones also and if look on google or ebay you'll find them.

Keith M

Reaction score
how do you trot a slow flowing river ?

when you look there is hardly no flow and i not done any trotting for over 15 years when was in early teens , i been advised to fishing with a waggler as its a stretch where gets matched fished alot of the pole .

On a slow moving river or canal; which is hardly moving along; a Waggler can be the perfect float to use (when not using a pole); You would be very lucky to even see someone using a top and bottom river float on a canal unless you were fishing a faster side stream.

I often used to win or be placed in club and team matches fishing the Grand Union Canal (and even on very slow moving areas of the Thames in times of drought) using standard straight or bodied wagglers or wagglers like the 'Canal Grey' or a small 'Onion' waggler or missile..

The basic shotting I used use was similar to the one in the pic below but of course in deeper waters I would often use a few more droppers and the bulk shot used to vary in depth depending on where the fish were feeding.

Keith

Last edited:

chub_on_the_block

Reaction score
On slow moving flat water i have had success using thinner stick floats, ie those with less balsa content, as i figured the buoyancy was less important than the sensitivity.

I still have a selection of old KC Angling stick floats from the 1980s that i use whenever i can - although ideal conditions for such light sticks (up to about 4 No 4, usually more like 5 No 6) are rare - close in slow water in water depths to about 7ft etc. They also have tiny red or orange tips which my failing eyesight sometimes struggles with if water is not dead calm.

B

binka

I still have a selection of old KC Angling stick floats from the 1980s that i use whenever i can - although ideal conditions for such light sticks (up to about 4 No 4, usually more like 5 No 6) are rare - close in slow water in water depths to about 7ft etc. They also have tiny red or orange tips which my failing eyesight sometimes struggles with if water is not dead calm.

If it's any help the Dave Harrell Shallow Water Sticks seem to me to have an oversized, domed sight tip for their weight rating and are no less sensitive for it, they come as light as 2 x no.4 and I really get on well with 'em despite not having the best eyesight...

associatedmatt

Reaction score
thanks guys for your input , im going to order some new wagglers as not done much float fishing mainly feeder work , used pellet waggler and thats about it since came back fishing . would best to use insert waggler if used wagglers for senitivity ?

but i also do have a couple of middy driftbeaters aka canal floats worth a try ?

like anything we all prefer diferent methods or ways to do things

theartist

Reaction score
All this talk of fancy floats has taken you away from what you really need Matt and that's just the basics polished up if you haven't run a float through for a while.

Main thing would be to fish as light and sensitive as the conditions/casting allows.
Get that float dotted right down to show tiny bites.
Set your shotting so that your hookbait falls naturally.
This time of year fish a small bait on a small hook
and feed a little every cast.

Get used to doing this well and you will catch on a matchstick never mind a fluted float. A cheap crystal wagger or basic wire stick will do a great job.