slow flowing rivers and trotting ...

associatedmatt

Reaction score
Thanks , just need to get back into it never trotted with a fixed spool reel . Only with a centre pin in my teens so will a tad different . Good job it's slow running to get me back into it .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

itsfishingnotcatching

Reaction score
Rivers don't come much slower than the Salwarpe which is a regular "haunt" of mine. Started Sunday morning with a lignum stem shouldered stick, bulk shotted with 3 x AAA about 250mm from the hook, tried a sensitip waggler to see if the slow fall of bait would produce better results (it didn't) and finished up with a 5g Avon as the greater weight seemed to improve the rate of line coming off the pin. I would recommend trying a few different types and see which you feel most comfortable with. Even on the Itchen, fast running and relatively shallow, there always seem to be a huge variety of float types on show.

associatedmatt

Reaction score
i have ordered myself some new wagglers as they will always be used for summer carp and tench fishing and a selection of wire stem stick floats . havent got a pin was my dads many moons ago now , so il have to just have a play with it .

trotter2

Reaction score
How deep is the water and how far are you casting out.
When you say slow is there practically no flow like a pond?

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
It might help those who are trying to give you advice if you were to say WHERE you are fishing !! (Name of river or canal would be good !)

Always hard to offer advice without knowing the water. You don't have to say EXACTLY where you fish, just a rough idea would help...

trotter2

Reaction score
Because I don't know the area ,and your description of the water leaves much to the imagination tactics cannot be specific.

Tactics would be like any other river stick float,waggler,topper,loafer, bolo float

Depending on conditions bait used, depth and distance that alone would dictate your choice of float. There is no one do it all float but if you must an avon comes close.
I would leave those fluted floats back were they belong back in history.
Move on.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
i bought a set of wire steam avons il give them a go

Wise choice Matt. If you can get a set of carbon stemmed also, the wire stemmed are better suited to fast choppy water. I'd say the carbon stemmed show subtle things better....such as when your bait starts dragging bottom in a shallower part of the trott the float will rise up a little in the water ;).

associatedmatt

Reaction score
il have a look but also got a big selection of peacock wagglers that I use for still water fishing

Last edited: