So who has fished a river in the close season?

B

binka

Interestingly there is a small, approximately mile and a half long stretch of river which links the Trent & Mersey canal at Whychnor where my sister has a narrowboat (floating gin palace!) moored and I often watch people fishing it when I go down there for a pi... short break.

I think it's technically river but maybe they are playing a loophole?

I believe it's officially a riverised section of canal.

Paul Boote

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
nice anacode Paul and nicely written

Blimey. I have just discovered photographic proof that that bit of law-breaking did actually happen (not in June, as I said, but in late May) and wasn't just my memory playing tricks. My Dad had just got himself a Voigtlander 35mm camera, you see, a sort of poor man's non-SLR, old-style Leica, and was snapping his young monster (invariably beside and staring intently at water, any water, and very often fishing).

And there I am, in a few slides in a box of a few hundred I have been meaning to look at for many years. Dressed by my Ma in my Sunday best for a best-behaviour visit to some well-to-do people some years older than my folks - little pair of cream chino-style "slacks", a proper white shirt, a tie, hair brushed, not like me at all, then or now - on the rivergarden lawn floatfishing the Thames with what looks to be an 8-foot cane spinning rod, a small dark-metal centrepin and bread (chunk of a loaf on the grass at my feet, plus a bucket - I'd "sort of" remembered catching a few little roach that day...).

No sign of the Thames Conservancy launch, though.

sam vimes

Reaction score
Its funny, sporting guns do not complain they can only shoot game birds 'in-season'.......

True enough, but the closed (breeding) season stands closer scrutiny for game birds than it does for fish. The snag with that is that the fishing closed season would run from October/November to July/August if all fish species were taken into account.

mark brailsford 2

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Well, its confession time,
I once fished a river out of season! I remember it well, it was about 1975 and me and my mates fished for sticklebacks, bullheads, minnows and stone loach (remember those?) on the river Doe Lea in Hardwick park (now one of the most polluted rivers in Europe!) We used little nets that we had bought us from Skeggy (Ho how I hate that place!) never thought we were doing owt wrong though :)

Paul Boote

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Well, its confession time

High time for some confession from some...

Piece of Southern Counties non-scene club water, holding barbel on the up and up.

In the past season or two I had had 10s, two 11s, a 12, a 13 (with the thirteen that hit 14 second time round), fishing it for fun I was, as I was doing most of my fishing and catching a few rather bigger fish on a piece miles away, merely visiting the club bit to sit under a tree or in the sun and get the lovely old boys fishing the same piece as me on to some of what they had heard I was having.

Then the Great Ouse arrived.

Non members.

Fishing bivvied-up at night.

Silent, or surly, or evasive, or gushing (you won't try and face me down, mate...).

Catching, catching, catching from a swim I no longer fished, but was sometimes fishing one two below that held a far far bigger fish (never hooked).

What to do?

My on-bank-met and on-bank mate, J, for whom I had netted and weighed his first ever double, an 11-pounder, a big guy, a very gentle giant, a new bailiff...

He, about 6-5 of him, after a quiet word from me, strolled into the double-anglered, bivvied and sleeper-tented swim two up from me at nine one morning shortly after our arrival and had a word...

Gone.

More need to go, more need to really confess, or they'll be writing books or coming onto the Internut and sh'ing all over those who did it early and did it right.

Last edited:

bennygesserit

Reaction score
so thieves then

sorry should have said hope you get fined.

Last edited:

mark brailsford 2

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
High time for some confession from some...

Piece of Southern Counties non-scene club water, holding barbel on the up and up.

In the past season or two I had had 10s, two 11s, a 12, a 13 (with the thirteen that hit 14 second time round), fishing it for fun I was, as I was doing most of my fishing and catching a few rather bigger fish on a piece miles away, merely visiting the club bit to sit under a tree or in the sun and get the lovely old boys fishing the same piece as me on to some of what they had heard I was having.

Then the Great Ouse arrived.

Non members.

Fishing bivvied-up at night.

Silent, or surly, or evasive, or gushing (you won't try and face me down, mate...).

Catching, catching, catching from a swim I no longer fished, but was sometimes fishing one two below that held a far far bigger fish (never hooked).

What to do?

My on-bank-met and on-bank mate, J, for whom I had netted and weighed his first ever double, an 11-pounder, a big guy, a very gentle giant, a new bailiff...

He, about 6-5 of him, after a quiet word from me, strolled into the double-anglered, bivvied and sleeper-tented swim two up from me at nine one morning shortly after our arrival and had a word...

Gone.

More need to go, more need to really confess, or they'll be writing books or coming onto the Internut and sh'ing all over those who did it early and did it right.

Why Does this Guy talk in riddles???

Paul Boote

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
To enlighten those capable of being enlightened, to perplex people like you.

benny samways

Reaction score

Excellent riposte!

I must confess to fishing on March 15th 2009. I just got completey muddled with my dates and it wasnt until making a record in my 'angling journal' that I realised the error of my ways. I got over it pretty quickly though

Caught some nice perch:wh

mark brailsford 2

Banned
Banned
Reaction score

I am not even going to bother replying to that one as I will probably get band from the forum...use your cryptic mind to work that one out! ;)

---------- Post added at 10:53 ---------- Previous post was at 10:45 ----------

Taste is a strange thing Mark, I think it's wonderful, meaningful, evocative language, and I DO understand it, and feel strangely comforted.

I got on very well with English at school and read an awfull lot of books, but I have never come across Language like this before! bloody strange, wonder if he still talks to his ''best mate'' from river monsters? ;)

Last edited:

Paul Boote

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Stop trying to be smarta*se and personal at Christmas (or at any time of year) with me, Mark. As others here will tell you, when I take umbrage with someone, they lose, badly. Go away and pour or mix yourself a drink and have a Christmas; don't try and mix it with me.

Last from me here until the festivities have ended and the inevitable online aggression stops.

See you all next year, if I can a*sed.

hugo curgudgeon

Reaction score
I used to fish for eels on the Lower Thames in the close season, with some success. My word those eels gave a good account of themselves, especially at night. Stepped up MKIVs and Surfcasts with sprats or several lobworms as bait. We popped them in a sack overnight and unhooked and released them at dawn.

Also tried spinners for Thames trout but never caught one........

Oh by the way, Happy Christmas Paul and indeed everyone!

Regards

Hugo

Last edited:

john conway (CSG - ACA)

Reaction score
I fish all year round on rivers, coarse fish from 16th June to 14th March, then trout on the fly in between. However, some of the rivers I fly fish on have a good head of Grayling and they take the fly just as well as the trout. Although I don’t trot for Grayling in the winter, I'm sure that others who do, with maggot and or worm, will also take trout. Last week on the Ribble I caught a nice 2lb brownie on crust and cheese paste. The fish was leaking milt all over my hand as I released it, then it swam off to find a more obliging female. If you fish the Ribble in winter with hemp and caster not only will you catch Chub and Grayling but also trout and anything else that’s in your swim.
I abide by the EA and my Clubs rules but I have yet to hear a logical reason for having a close season for coarse fish, however that’s another argument for another thread.

mark brailsford 2

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
stop trying to be smarta*se and personal at christmas (or at any time of year) with me, mark. As others here will tell you, when i take umbrage with someone, they lose, badly. Go away and pour or mix yourself a drink and have a christmas; don't try and mix it with me.

Last from me here until the festivities have ended and the inevitable online aggression stops.

See you all next year, if i can a*sed.

Lol, bloody lol! :D :D :D

What online aggression are you on about? you should read your last post as that really does look like a threat to me, I should be very carefull with what you write on public forums!

Last edited:

Judas Priest

Reaction score
I'm with Titus on this one.

Trying to make himself look educated beyond us mere mortals. Just a pity his self proclaimed education doesn't lend itself to the realisation that no one takes him seriously anymore with his veiled threats to leave and never return.

oh and by the way

MERRY CHRISTMAS EVERYONE AND A HAPPY NEW YEAR.

Fred Bonney

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I'm with Titus on this one.

Trying to make himself look educated beyond us mere mortals. Just a pity his self proclaimed education doesn't lend itself to the realisation that no one takes him seriously anymore with his veiled threats to leave and never return.

oh and by the way

MERRY CHRISTMAS EVERYONE AND A HAPPY NEW YEAR.

Ah, but it would appear some do, so perhaps you fit the second category I mentioned above ? Those who think they are educated but very obviously aren't!

Last edited: