Taking Ourselves Too Seriously?

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
In an earlier posting on this thread I referred to 'Dave'. It should have been 'Steve'. I've edited my message now to read 'Steve'.

Apologies to any Dave's who may have thought I was refering to them.

Put it down to old age and being bloody decrepid.

M

Malcolm Bason

On another thread Steve wrote:

"i have found out that you have to be careful in the fm forum!"

Actually, I totally agree..................

One has to be VERY careful! A comment that can be taken another way and this lot are on yer like a ton of rotten fishmeal!!

I think pulling the leg of another poster should be banned! Especially when that person has a peg leg!

And look at brummie falling for that bird, Clem Paggle was'nt it? I don't know! What is this forum coming to?

C

Cakey

Rodney Im ok and how are you ,yes your right its wet or dry nets but im old too.

Graham I wish you had not mentioned Shrek and Brains I thought they had forgotten now I have to watch me back again !

R

Rodney Wrestt

Cakey,
Yeah I'm fine too, What happened to your mugshot....I thought you had posted a photo with a nice carp if I'm not mistaken.

Stuart Dennis

Reaction score
This is classic! Poor old Steve Baker was on here last night witnessing Cakeys un unmerciful killing of Ron Clay (yippee!) and to be honest, Steve was being a great sport.

Me and Cakey were in full swing (sorry I mean Cakey was in full swing, I was nothing to do with it, it was all Cakey, honest guv!). and….. poor old Steve got caught in the cross fire and jumped on our (oops I mean Cakeys) bandwagon. Steve was holding his own until we (I mean Cakey) suggested that Steve fire up a new thread to finish Ron Clay off for good.

To be honest I don’t believe Steve wanted to start a new thread on the subject, and declined by way of his polite (and possibly miss-understood) comments ‘that everyone believes this site is too serious’. So once the witch-hunt is over Steve, I’ll buy you a beer or two. Be tender with Steve boys and girls he’s a good guy!

By the way, for those of you who don’t know: Graham is loaded. He sticks his fishing gear in the back of his Merc, cos the 4x4 is always busy trailing his wallet from bank to bank. Some of you may think he’s getting on a bit because of the way he hunches over, the truth is hes weighted down and dripping with Gold. He owns the master share in the ‘London Based Rap’ Company, he’s out on the town living it up with all the VIPS, By day a lovely cuddly fishing master, by night a bang on crack dealer to the rich and famous. If you don’t believe me, I’ll have look through some of my old photos, I’ll sort them out and get them stuck up on the net.

PS- how could me and rik forget Mr. Cake-hole!

P

Phil Hatton

From my humble position as a consistently mediocre would-be 'all rounder' I'd like to add a little to this debate.First off I've always found the more serious types to be a little off-putting.I used to be a matchman but as I attempted the step up from club to open level the superiority complex of the regular circuit lads was very discouraging.Later in my fishing life I started to prefer a more all-round approach only to find that the specimen world was just as riddled with seriosityness .So when I came across FM I was a little dubious,however as it turns out, every 'not serious'serious angler seems to be logged on.This is marvellous,I'm learning,getting honest answers to dumb questions and having a laugh in the process.I've got no idea who you all are or where you are but you make a noddy welcome and thanks for that

C

Cakey

Rodney
Rik and Stuart sneaked a photo of me when we was trout fishing Walthamstow and changed my face-it so with a little help from someone I cant name (he's got the worlds biggest wallet that makes him limp)I changed Riks to Shrek,and Stuart to Brains .

R

Rodney Wrestt

Ahhh..I see, so now you've pulled down the Cakey blinds again, I didn't see the brains one though and I thought C.A. just had a new camera. ;o}~

S

Steve Baker

For some reason I thought I’d better be careful in my reply to this thread! As someone put it.
“One has to be VERY careful! A comment that can be taken another way and this lot are on yer like a ton of rotten fishmeal!!”

But here goes!

1. Why do you think you have to be careful on the FM forum?

"We don't need more carp, in fact we now should consider mass carp extermination, especially in the hundreds of small ponds that are creating festering sores like an epidemic of pox on our green and pleasant land these days. {:eek:{"

A certain person posted this on another thread and look at the stick (most light-hearted) he got (some admittedly from me). Some other comments I have also picked up on!

“thinking along the lines of "Ah well, there's always one."”

“I feel that some members instantly take a dislike for others just because they chose to tread a different angling path.”

The classic!

“Why don't you grow up
This site was excellent before we got all this moronic crap.”

So looking a the comments I just feel that I have to be careful in my response to the threads!

2. Why do you think the regulars don't like jokes?

Just what I have picked up over the time I have been browsing the threads. Perhaps regulars wasn’t the right term to use, However if I have got the wrong end of the stick (which it seems I have done) sorry! But here is another comment that I have read since being on here.

“I tried before to get this lot to show what makes them laugh (at times I end up crying with laughter with their antics), but it went down faster that a carp fishers 6oz bolt rig.”

3. What exactly have people 'outside' the forum been saying?

I two people (wow I hear you say two whole people) and they also agree that things can sometimes get too serious. But as someone put it…

“Graham, you can't please all of the people all of the time....some just lack the irony gene.”

I think you should also have included in the start of this thread my other comment “but it is still my fave fishing site!”

It seemed only a few people one of which was Stuart (cheers) understood the post as a whole, so for all those that have commented on this thread who haven’t read the whole thread that I originally posted on I think you should.

“So once the witch-hunt is over Steve, I’ll buy you a beer or two”

Stuart, I may take you up on that mate! Thanks for trying to make people understand the context of the original post.

Regards Steve!

W

Wendy Perry

hi guys not been on comp for a while there is something wrong with it and ma bloody email doesn't work either i'm only getting half images on here ..... i suppose thats a good thing i don't have to see all your ugly mugs hehehehehhe

Anyway my two penneth is Graham this site is fantastic and a lot of fun if anyone on here gets any stick then it's me but i aint running away i just take it on the chin i think i've posted a lot of threads on here and had two serious answers lol no just jokin i love this site and will be around for a long long time it has helped me heaps

MWAHHHHHHHHHH :)
wend

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
Steve, because someone could possibly strongly disagree with you doesn't mean you have to be careful. That's the idea of debate on the forum, so that we can disagree and put our own views across. Some people react with more venom than others because that's how they are. Usually a measured, well thought out reply, is enough to calm them down. And bear in mind that there will always be those who are deliberately provocative, those who light the blue touch paper and stand back to admire their handiwork. You just have to learn to recognise the Guy Fawkes types from the rest.

I still don't understand how you decided that the 'regulars' don't like jokes. The whole forum is riddled with humour, and the one example you chose from over 35,000 messages to substantiate your view wasn't a good one anyway. I mean, contained in the sentence was the remark "at times I end up crying with laughter with their antics." That hardly reinforces the view that the 'regulars' don't like jokes.

And your comment that 'people outside the forum agree that it gets too serious was bound to invite an explanation wasn't it. It would be good if the two people you're refering to will give us their views on this.

So come on Steve, let's get real about this. It wasn't a witch hunt, it was the person who is ultimately responsible for the general tone of this forum, which is me, asking you to explain your comments because I was concerned enough to take you seriously.

Even taking all your posting into account we were still left with 1. Having to be careful when posting on FM. 2. Humourless regulars. And 3. 'Outsiders' agreeing with you.

There being 'outsiders' was enough on its own to cause concern. The last thing I want is for anyone to think they're excluded from FM in any way whatsoever.

So come on Steve, like I said, be real, and try to see things from my side a little. And think on this, I didn't ignore you, which would have been the easiest thing to do, and which many would have done. I took your comments on board, showed concern, and set out to see if your views were in a minority.

I think it's safe to say that they are.

But I'll join you, Stuart and Rik for that drink sometime.

As long as Stuart's paying.

P

Paul Williams

Nice that you replied Steve......but i don't think it's been a "witch hunt" mate, thats taking it a little to far.....just a debate.

C

Cakey

Just back from the newsagents cant find a copy of
Roachworld
Breamtalk
Total Chub
Big Minnow
Crafty Tencher
or Advanced Rudd Fishing
loads of mags on carp,coarse fishing(one with Graham on the front and all about FM inside)and sea fishing.

P

Paul Williams

Cakey,
After reading some of those carp mags it could be that roachers, breamers, tenchers etc just have more sense than money! i mean how many pics of a boilie on a hair does one need to see? ;)

C

Cakey

Paul
I agree and I only get Total Carp (won a years in a comp).
What I was trying to point out is Carp is the fish at the moment.
Im thinking of having the next season off from carp and going for the pussies .
Cant find books or mags on this species!!

M

Mike Parker

Just watch it everyone it could be the story of the millenium so far coming up and I quote from the great mans writings

'But I'll join you, Stuart and Rik for that drink sometime.'

I can see it on the from of the 'Sport'
Graham Marsden's wallet seen in public! then I saw

As long as Stuart's paying.

Still it might happen one day