The centrepin reel thread......

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
The Sheffield has two and I do not want to jeopardise my pin skills by being inconsistent and the delicate touch like what I have got may suffer if the two reels are different:rolleyes:

Tigger and his macaws have just fallen over!:rolleyes::D

LOL Mike, i'd stick with the three on the conquest bud, it'll be good ;).

Last edited:

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
Dont mess about with pins. However many handles it comes with leave them alone. The only thing I might do is take a line guard off assuming it was designed to be removed. I dont personally like line guards but I dont find them as offensive as white plastic handles.

Or white reels....or blue reels or red reels for that matter. Grrrrrr!

sam vimes

Reaction score
I've tried every which way with the handles on the Conquests. I can cope with three, one and none, but two is just too strange for me. Ultimately, I ended up with all three fitted as it results in no more tangles than you get on a normal two handled reel.

mikench

Reaction score
I will try with 3 then 2 and finally 1 if I feel that my pin skills are being compromised ! Did I say I was deluded?;)

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
These are crackin' reels, seriously light and it takes the merest hint a breath to set them off spinning. I have one and combine it with an acolyte rod and I think it's gott'a be the lightest set up you can get!

Martin Bowler centerpin reel MT-1002 | eBay

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
OK....its a light Sheffield wearing an away strip.

Skippy, if you'd ever used one or even held one I doubt you'd be so dismissive of it...it also has black handles ;).

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Skippy, if you'd ever used one or even held one I doubt you'd be so dismissive of it...it also has black handles ;).

I'm sorry...but performance is not everything so far as I'm concerned. A reel ( or rod for that matter) has to look and feel right too for me to be happy with it. This thing may be a great performer but I do not like the look of it and I resent paying a premium to have somebody's name on it. Believe me I agonized long and hard before buying a BJ pin and have seriously considered taking a bit of wire wool to the name several times.

To me this is just a horrible looking thing so it matters not one whit how light it is or how well it performs. Personally I would feel really uncomfortable using something like this. Its just the way I am.

Ditto that green thing with Wilson's name on or the one with a drag...the Kennet . Horrible looking things.

Last edited:

sam vimes

Reaction score
OK....its a light Sheffield wearing an away strip.

That pretty much covers it.:)
The reality is that most of the Okuma reels are the same girl in slightly different frocks. The only real divergence is the bushes rather than bearings on the basic Aventa, the drag on the Trent/Sheffield Sirata/Sheffield DRII, the caged construction of the Kennet, and the mag alloy of the Bowler.

Ditto that green thing with Wilson's name on or the one with a drag...the Kennet . Horrible looking things.

The Young's Wilson reel is the Heritage. The Okuma with a drag was a Trent in the UK and the Sheffield Sirata in the USA. With a colour change, it's now called the Sheffield DRII. The Kennet was a caged version of the Okuma VT1002 (Sheffield, Aventa Pro, RAW 2 etc).

Last edited:

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I'm sorry...but performance is not everything so far as I'm concerned. A reel ( or rod for that matter) has to look and feel right too for me to be happy with it. This thing may be a great performer but I do not like the look of it and I resent paying a premium to have somebody's name on it. Believe me I agonized long and hard before buying a BJ pin and have seriously considered taking a bit of wire wool to the name several times.

To me this is just a horrible looking thing so it matters not one whit how light it is or how well it performs. Personally I would feel really uncomfortable using something like this. Its just the way I am.

In the flesh the bowler pin looks smart and it operates seriously well.

I've never seen a Kennet reel with Wilsons name on it?.....only one i've ever seen/had is the Heritage and it's a nice looking reel and also operates well.

S-Kippy

Reaction score
I was getting the Kennet confused with that orange one. The Kennet is basically a caged Sheffield in black I think ?

I don't think I actually said the Kennet had Wilson's name on. The Wilson pin is a green Youngs with a load of holes in IIRC.....and a few extra squid on the rrp

sam vimes

Reaction score
The Kennet is basically a caged Sheffield in black I think ?

All the Kennets I've seen have been silver, but there are pics of black Kennets out there. I've seen Sheffields in gold, silver and black. Essentially, a Sheffield with a cage is a Kennet.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
All the Kennets I've seen have been silver, but there are pics of black Kennets out there. I've seen Sheffields in gold, silver and black. Essentially, a Sheffield with a cage is a Kennet.

You could say that all okuma centrepins are just sheffields with various add on's or off's. Usually the face pate is the main difference between them but in the case of the bowler pin as you pointed out it's the material it's made from that's the big difference.

sam vimes

Reaction score
You could say that all okuma centrepins are just sheffields with various add on's or off's.

I've pretty much said exactly that a post or two back. Even if some have more significant differences, they are all just variations on the same basic theme and components.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I've pretty much said exactly that a post or two back. Even if some have more significant differences, they are all just variations on the same basic theme and components.

Yeaph, same goes for most makers/manufacturers ranges of pins.

Anyhow, did you put your name down on a 17 footer :eek:mg:.