The centrepin reel thread......

sam vimes

Reaction score
This is why I mentioned the haters Dave. As soon as the words daiwa sensor are posted people jump on board and slag the stuff off.
It makes no difference to me what anyone else uses but most of my fishing is float fishing on running water and i've found sensor to be good reliable line at a affordable price.

When you are giving advice to a stranger, it's good to get the balance of opinions. For every person that loves Sensor as much as you do, there's someone that can't stand the stuff. I'd go as far as saying that Sensor polarizes opinion in a way that very few angling products I've encountered do.

None of that should stop you using and loving it, nor should it. However, it's only fair to mention that you effectively use it as a one shot line. On a centrepin, you use it once and bin it. That's not the way that most folks expect to use any kind of line.

nottskev

Reaction score
Italian :) The motorbike. "Quote" function didn't function.

john step

Reaction score
Dave, I am outing myself here. I am a Sensor user. There I have said it.:eek:

There must be better lines at a dearer price. However I have never had any trouble with it in high or low breaking strains. I do use more expensive low dia. lines as hooklengths on occasions.

I have so many reels that are used quite regularly that to use full price line would require quite an outlay when replacing it.

There again what do I know....I used to use MALLARKYS own bulk brand, philistine that I am.:eek:

When working and fishing less, tackle seemed last for ages. Now it seems every week I have to replace something so things like money saving bulk lines make sense to me.
Everyone has their own favourites and its great there is the choice available.

thecrow

Reaction score
I changed from sensor to korum last season but soon changed back, I don't know why I changed in the first place maybe thinking the grass was greener, it wasn't, as John says there might be better and more expensive but I have no problem with using sensor, its a good line.

Is there such a thing as line snobbery :D

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
When you are giving advice to a stranger, it's good to get the balance of opinions. For every person that loves Sensor as much as you do, there's someone that can't stand the stuff. I'd go as far as saying that Sensor polarizes opinion in a way that very few angling products I've encountered do.

None of that should stop you using and loving it, nor should it. However, it's only fair to mention that you effectively use it as a one shot line. On a centrepin, you use it once and bin it. That's not the way that most folks expect to use any kind of line.

I only change it because of the type of rivers I fish and because of the species of fish i'm catching. Whatever line I used it would still get scraped throught the bolders and damaged so it would need changing also. It doesn't always need changing as I don't always get bumper catches of barbel but I like freshly spooled line when trotting with a pin...that's just my personal habit.

I have some fixed spool reels that have had the same sensor on for nearly a decade and it's still fine.

At the end of the day we all have our own personal preferances but as I said previously as soon as the words "daiwa sensor" come up some people just can't help themselves, they just have to slag it off. Surely they would be better to recommend a line they like rather than beat the same old drum of negativity over and over :eek:mg:.

sam vimes

Reaction score
I only change it because of the type of rivers I fish and because of the species of fish i'm catching. Whatever line I used it would still get scraped throught the bolders and damaged so it would need changing also. It doesn't always need changing as I don't always get bumper catches of barbel but I like freshly spooled line when trotting with a pin...that's just my personal habit.

I have some fixed spool reels that have had the same sensor on for nearly a decade and it's still fine.

At the end of the day we all have our own personal preferances but as I said previously as soon as the words "daiwa sensor" come up some people just can't help themselves, they just have to slag it off. Surely they would be better to recommend a line they like rather than beat the same old drum of negativity over and over :eek:mg:.

I understand why you do what you do with it, but changing it after every outing gives quite a different perspective when it's being recommended as a trotting line.

Some people slag it off because they genuinely believe that it's rubbish. It doesn't help that you effectively issue a challenge to them every time you praise it. It's just the polar opposite your compulsion to tell everyone that it's the greatest line on the planet at every available opportunity. Neither extreme is any more valid. It's good to see both sides of the argument if you haven't used the stuff before.

I wish I'd listened to the naysayers rather than having been swayed by the pro lobby. The saving grace is that, should someone dislike it, it's cheap and is just fine for backing.

Another Dave

Reaction score
You've lost me: :confused:
As far as i'm aware they only make it in brown and claer and i've only ever had the clear in 8lb strain. I think Mike had some clear in 6lb and it looked like geeat stuff.

My post made sense to me when i made it, gonna blame the beer
1980_boogie_down.gif

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
I understand why you do what you do with it, but changing it after every outing gives quite a different perspective when it's being recommended as a trotting line.

Some people slag it off because they genuinely believe that it's rubbish. It doesn't help that you effectively issue a challenge to them every time you praise it. It's just the polar opposite your compulsion to tell everyone that it's the greatest line on the planet at every available opportunity. Neither extreme is any more valid. It's good to see both sides of the argument if you haven't used the stuff before.

I wish I'd listened to the naysayers rather than having been swayed by the pro lobby. The saving grace is that, should someone dislike it, it's cheap and is just fine for backing.

That is precisely my point. Whenever anybody asks about line its Sensor,Sensor, Sensor blah blah blah its the best line ever. I've no problem whatsoever with anybody using the stuff IF it suits them but I dont think its paticularly helpful or very balanced to imply that there is no point looking any further. I've used it and there is nothing about it that I like. Nothing.

But I would not dream of suggesting that what I use is "the best"....it suits me and that's all that matters.

As I have often said to mess about with line or hooks is to miss the point . I wont use any line or hook that I'm not 100% confident in and I've no confidence in Sensor. There are lots of other lines.

But dont pay any attention to me. I dont know what I'm talking about so my opinion on this stuff doesnt count

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score

If I used (for example)...Dave Harrell line as I know you are just now it would get damaged along it's length just as much as sensor it's as simple as that. That would mean i'd have to cut of as far up the line as I could find damage which would mean each time I go out i'd have less and less line on my reel. You know the distances that I trott so not having a good 80 to a hundred yards of line on my reel would be a serious hindrence to my fishing!
At least using sensor I don't have to worry about the expence of replacing it or how well it funtions!
Chris, if I trotted for grayling etc as you do the chances are my line would last a long, long time and wouldn't need changing from one year to the next.

As I said earlier if someone dislikes sensor then rather than simply slag it off because they don't like it, why don't they reccommend a line that they like, Dave asked for a good trotting line and imo there isn't any out there that i've used to touch sensor for sheer value and usability
If someone else reccommends a line I don't jump straight on behind them calling it not fit to burn every time over and over ffs.

S-Kippy

Reaction score
I'm sorry Ian but what kind of a response do you expect when you say that those of us that dont like Sensor dont know what they are talking about ?

I have tried it and in my opinion it is one of the worst lines Ive ever used....not the worst but one of them. If youre fishing a rocky river then you will very likely want a different sort of line with different properties to us Southerners.

I use different brands depending on what I'm doing. What I use for trotting is pointless me recommending because you cant get it anymore and I'm down to my 2nd last spool.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I'm sorry Ian but what kind of a response do you expect when you say that those of us that dont like Sensor dont know what they are talking about ?

I have tried it and in my opinion it is one of the worst lines Ive ever used....not the worst but one of them. If youre fishing a rocky river then you will very likely want a different sort of line with different properties to us Southerners.

I use different brands depending on what I'm doing. What I use for trotting is pointless me recommending because you cant get it anymore and I'm down to my 2nd last spool.

Lol SKippy you know that was tongue in cheek I just forgot to put a winky face.

Yeah, I understand you fish different tyes of rivers to me and so you line choice may wwell be different to mine.
Would it not be worth you stating your prefered line to Dave? The line you recommend might be ideal for him ;).

sam vimes

Reaction score
If I used (for example)...Dave Harrell line as I know you are just now it would get damaged along it's length just as much as sensor it's as simple as that. That would mean i'd have to cut of as far up the line as I could find damage which would mean each time I go out i'd have less and less line on my reel. You know the distances that I trott so not having a good 80 to a hundred yards of line on my reel would be a serious hindrence to my fishing!
At least using sensor I don't have to worry about the expence of replacing it or how well it funtions!
Chris, if I trotted for grayling etc as you do the chances are my line would last a long, long time and wouldn't need changing from one year to the next.

As I said earlier if someone dislikes sensor then rather than simply slag it off because they don't like it, why don't they reccommend a line that they like, Dave asked for a good trotting line and imo there isn't any out there that i've used to touch sensor for sheer value and usability
If someone else reccommends a line I don't jump straight on behind them calling it not fit to burn every time over and over ffs.

I appreciate why you do what you do with Sensor. Hell, if I used line in the same way, I may even use Sensor myself. However, I, and most other folks, don't use line for one time only, as you do on your pins.

As for recommendations, I made mine without any mention of Sensor. I can only suggest that if you don't want a reaction, you make your recommendations without the suggestion that anyone that might disagree with you
ain't got a clue!

I know exactly why I don't like Sensor and have a fair idea why we might disagree about it. Expecting to be able to use it time and again, and it still performing as it did first use (abrasion damage notwithstanding), being a prime factor. I don't dislike it because it's cheap, in this regard I dearly wish I did like it. I don't dislike it because it's Daiwa. I definitely don't dislike it because I haven't used it.

One thing for sure is that we'll never agree about Sensor. I'm sure it won't be the last thing we disagree about. However, I'm not about to suggest that you, or any of the other Sensor lovers "ain't got a clue".

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I appreciate why you do what you do with Sensor. Hell, if I used line in the same way, I may even use Sensor myself. However, I, and most other folks, don't use line for one time only, as you do on your pins.

As for recommendations, I made mine without any mention of Sensor. I can only suggest that if you don't want a reaction, you make your recommendations without the suggestion that anyone that might disagree with you

I know exactly why I don't like Sensor and have a fair idea why we might disagree about it. Expecting to be able to use it time and again, and it still performing as it did first use (abrasion damage notwithstanding), being a prime factor. I don't dislike it because it's cheap, in this regard I dearly wish I did like it. I don't dislike it because it's Daiwa. I definitely don't dislike it because I haven't used it.

One thing for sure is that we'll never agree about Sensor. I'm sure it won't be the last thing we disagree about. However, I'm not about to suggest that you, or any of the other Sensor lovers "ain't got a clue".

It looks like everyones a bit touchy ffs....all because I didn't put a wink or smiley face ! Surely it's obvious that statment was tongue in cheek.

You know what though, I don't give a rats ass how people take it, if they're so easily upset ..ck 'em.

sam vimes

Reaction score
It looks like everyones a bit touchy ffs....all because I didn't put a wink or smiley face ! Surely it's obvious that statment was tongue in cheek.

You know what though, I don't give a rats ass how people take it, if they're so easily upset ..ck 'em.

I'm not upset with you. Every time I see you make such comments I just think, "Hey up, Tigger's fishing again. I wonder how many he'll catch this time?"

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I'm not upset with you. Every time I see you make such comments I just think, "Hey up, Tigger's fishing again. I wonder how many he'll catch this time?"

Didn't think you'd be upset Chris....it's others i'm thinking of.
As I said to SKippy it wasn't meant to upset anyone. I've been posting on this forum for 8 or 9yrs so surely the regulars know me better than that.
Anyhow, lets forget it now it's all about F all in'it.
Hopefully someone will come up with some good recommendations for line :rolleyes:.

S-Kippy

Reaction score
I don't think any one brand will suit each and every situation. I really don't.

I'm very fussy about line ( you might have noticed) and use different brands depending on what I'm doing. The trouble is it's not unusual for me to find one I like only for the manufacturers to discontinue it....or stop producing it in b.s. lower than about 12lb.

Suffix Duraflex is the best of the low diameter lines ive ever used and its on some of my pins but you try finding it in lower diameters. If you do....buy it and if you don't like it I'll buy it off you.

I like Gardner Hydroflo but it's not a great trotting line in my experience. Good for heavier work.

The original Drennan FF was decent. Not as convinced about the current stuff which is ( allegedly) Bayer Perlon which I never got on with.

Pro Gold is ultra reliable but quite thick. Still my go to for heavy work but not for trotting.

Philip

Reaction score
What annoys me is how few manufacturers say whether a line floats or sinks. Its such a basic thing to know.

I had quite an interesting chat with a bloke while back about this and his opinion was that ALL mono sinks as they all take on water, just some do it slower than others.

Not sure how true that is but I'll still like a spool to say this line is at least designed to be "floating" or "sinking".

Alan Tyler

Reaction score
All nylon sinks once it gets (or is forced) below the surface film, but lines have lubricants applied to them to assist with spooling-up and probably other processes. These may differ from brand to brand, as may the amount of cleaning done to the line; the result is that, fresh off the spool, some lines are easy to cut through the surface film while others float like ducks. Once the surface treatments wear or wash off, old line sinks. They probably do take on water once they're "clean", too, but I'd think this is just another effect of the line becoming wettable.

In cynical moments I suspect that sales are increased by us not quite knowing which line does what, and chasing the perfect line...