Tip/butt protectors

B

binka

This thread has prompted me to have a look around to see what's available, especially since I lost a tip protector last week and am now down to just one.

These looked a sensible option to me at a whopping 85cm long, the more of the blank and especially the eyes that are protected the better imo...

Rod Tip Protector XL - Gardner Tackle

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
Trakker and Avid make small size tip tops, as with most, the butt is larger and the rod tip smaller.

As for quiver holdalls, again trakker do a nice one. I have a Free Spirit, but not sure if they still make them.

The korum rod protection is also good, i have a two rod one, they also do a 3 rod, complete protection of rods and reels.

The Trakker NXG compact looks a nice Holdall 3 rod

Last edited:

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
I can't be having with the damned things.....but that's probably because I don't carry my rods made up. The time it saves v the potential for damage I don't think adds up. Don't like external sleeves either....or fully enclosed holdall. Give me a good old quiver and a rod in a bag any day.

And I won't be persuaded otherwise. I don't have the metabolism of a shrew so I don't mind spending 10 minutes tackling up ....its all part and parcel of the theatre of fishing to me.

---------- Post added at 21:46 ---------- Previous post was at 21:42 ----------

I also use laggy bands around my baitdropper rod to secure the baitdropper to the rod below the tip protector whilst transporting it in the quiver to avoid the ringing bell effect.

Put my mind at rest please, Steve. Tell me your dropper rod is NOT a bloody Marksman. :eek:mg:

Jim Murray

Reaction score
Thanks for all the ideas. In my case I use these just as much for tangle prevention as to prevent damage.

In Summer/Autumn I carry 2 or 3 rods in the car at all times (I've got a flexible job ;-) so find these protectors are pretty nifty at keeping everything tight on the made up rods. Not perfect or as good as a rod sleeve but certainly a whole lot tidier than nothing.

Kevin aka Aethelbald

Reaction score
Old thread (I seem to be hijacking a lot of old threads, but better than starting a new one).

Is anyone using the elasticated tip and butt protectors?

Amongst others, Korda and Thinking Anglers (below, with Wychwood) do them. The Wychwood one even has a rod band halfway down, which looks sensible. I fear my Drennan individual ones will get lost sooner or later.

Screenshot 2022-09-11 at 15.44.19.png

Screenshot 2022-09-11 at 15.50.23.png
Screenshot 2022-09-11 at 15.50.56.png

Last edited:

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
I use them on made up carp rods, but they go in a padded hold-all. I made the expensive mistake of transporting my rods in a quiver. When the barrow tipped over it broke three rods. They work pretty well tbh.

wetthrough

Reaction score
I use the Nash ones on most of my rods which are also in rod tubes. They're as bit small diameter wise but any bigger and they wouldn't go in the tubes.

john step

Reaction score
NGT do them as well. I have them on my carp rods. They are fixed by wrap around velcro tape.

fishface1

Reaction score
I just use the tip protectors. Normally NGT, but I’ve also got a few random ones found on the bank as they all do the same job.

I tend to find the butt end Is protected by my rod bag/quiver.

David Rogers 3

Reaction score
I use Korum tip protectors, but the matching butt protectors, bought at the same time, now carry my pike unhooking tools - for which they're ideal!

nottskev

Reaction score
I use separate ones and wrap the butt one tightly with its velcro strap. I've found that otherwise the tip section can creep up so that the tip protrudes above the top of the butt section, and I like to keep the thin section end below the thick one. I use these even when the rods are going in a padded sleeve. Better safe etc.