When I was young

steve2

Reaction score
I don't know if it is just where I live but I have never seen fishing tackle in any of the charity shops near me. About the only sports equipment in them is golf clubs.

Keith M

Reaction score
I’ve never thrown my old rods and reels away when they have become obsolete or when I’ve bought modern replacements.

I gave most of my old fibreglass rods and reels away (when they became redundant) to others who needed them more than me, and made a couple of throwing sticks and plant supports from the rest of them after stripping off the rings for future use. However I still have an old fibreglass canal winkle-picker rod which is extremely light anyway; incase I fish any really hard winter matches again; and I still have several of my old reels still in the back of a drawer.

I still have my old B.James & Son Richard Walker MKIV Carp rod which I still very very occasionally use with either an old Mitchell 300 or an old Black Cat centrepin when I’m feeling a bit nostalgic but the last time I used this rod with an old reel was around three years ago.

I almost exclusively use my more modern carbon rods and modern reels nowadays as they are far better tools than in the past; with one or two exceptions; I occasionally still use one of my older Abu Cardinal 55s for surface fishing for Carp and I also very occasionally use my Abu 506 closed face reel for catching small species when I’m away on holiday; and I also like to use my 13ft Diawa Amorphous Whisker light float rod; which apart from the reel fittings is an excellent float rod and only one ounce heavier than my modern 13ft Drennan Acolyte Ultra.

I also have a couple of the original Greys Prodigy SX Barbel Rods (that I suspect were built before Greys moved their rod building to China) and these original Greys Prodigy Barbel rods are far better both in build and blank design than their latest versions ; so ‘modern’ isn’t always better than ‘old’ as far as rods are concerned.

I also still have an old tiny Abu Record 2100 multiplier; which is apparently sought after by collectors of today; and which I bought in the late 1970s after reading a book on Roach fishing by Dave Stuart; where he occasionally used this very tiny ‘tournament casting’ multiplier for trotting ‘just for fun’; and an old Abu 6000 multiplier which I occasionally used for Pike fishing. All of my Abu reels were bought when Abu reels were made in Sweden and their reels were well respected.

Keith

Last edited:

Old fisher

Reaction score
I’ve never thrown my old rods and reels away when they have become obsolete or when I’ve bought modern replacements.

I gave most of my old fibreglass rods and reels away (when they became redundant) to others who needed them more than me, and made a couple of throwing sticks and plant supports from the rest of them after stripping off the rings for future use. However I still have an old fibreglass canal winkle-picker rod which is extremely light anyway; incase I fish any really hard winter matches again; and I still have several of my old reels still in the back of a drawer.

I still have my old B.James & Son Richard Walker MKIV Carp rod which I still very very occasionally use with either an old Mitchell 300 or an old Black Cat centrepin when I’m feeling a bit nostalgic but the last time I used this rod with an old reel was around three years ago.

I almost exclusively use my more modern carbon rods and modern reels nowadays as they are far better tools than in the past; with one or two exceptions; I occasionally still use one of my older Abu Cardinal 55s for surface fishing for Carp and I also very occasionally use my Abu 506 closed face reel for catching small species when I’m away on holiday; and I also like to use my 13ft Diawa Amorphous Whisker light float rod; which apart from the reel fittings is an excellent float rod and only one ounce heavier than my modern 13ft Drennan Acolyte Ultra.

I also have a couple of the original Greys Prodigy SX Barbel Rods (that I suspect were built before Greys moved their rod building to China) and these original Greys Prodigy Barbel rods are far better both in build and blank design than their latest versions ; so ‘modern’ isn’t always better than ‘old’ as far as rods are concerned.

Keith
Hi Keith. About 2 years ago I purchased a Greys Aircurve 3,50lb tc carp rod and the first thing I found was the balance for me was way out. It is extremely top heavy. I purchased it for use with heavy p.v.a. bags. It handles fish quite well even in front of the net but a pain to hold when reeling in from say 80/90 yards. Well at my age it is

Steve Arnold

Reaction score
I am definitely an oldie when it comes to not throwing anything away, recycling and generally not being fussed about the latest gear!

It was heartbreaking for me when we moved to France - I had to throw out/sell/give away so much fishing tackle, some of it must have been 40+ years old! But I still packed about 40 rods, and many reels, into the high ceiling of my Peugeot Partner and trailer - some of them were over 30 years old!

They got me started fishing here but over the last four years I have acquired some rods more specific to river fishing. With a little bit of online research and advice from forums I have some lovely new rods that are a pleasure to use. They were also quite cheap!

But one of my favourite bits of tackle, which will be used again when I get out somewhere deep sea fishing is an ABU multiplier.

When I was a young angler, in my teens, I lived in Felixstowe. The sea fishing was very good then with plenty of cod, even off the pier. I used all sorts of tackle but it had to be cheap, I was just an engineering apprentice and the starting wage was £4 or so, when a qualified fitter/turner was on about £24. At that time the magazines were touting ABU (Sweden) as the best, but the popular 6000 series had alloy end plates that disintegrated after a couple of seasons salt water use.

I aspired to own a Swedish built ABU 8000c, this had end plates of black chromed brass, much more resistant to sea use. Well, I never managed to afford one whilst I lived in Suffolk but I eventually picked a good one up secondhand many years later when I was living in Scotland. That reel is still as good as the day it was made despite much boat and shore fishing around Scotland. A truly remarkable piece of engineering which was many, many years ahead of its time. It even boasts "Automatic Two Speed Gearing" which actually works! As well as being sturdy enough for lifting hefty specimens from deep water it is a very good casting reel. Remarkable!

Before anyone rushes out to buy a brand new ABU multiplier - don't bother! They are now made in China, everything inside them has been built DOWN to a price - horrible things!

mikench

Reaction score
The elephant in the room is too many people.
Pete i wish we had more elephants in the room and generally. Intelligent and caring animals with long memories unlike us humans. I entirely agree we are too numerous as a species particularly one with scant regard for others, our environment , pollution and prone to wanton killing. Very few set a good example.

Old fisher

Reaction score
I am definitely an oldie when it comes to not throwing anything away, recycling and generally not being fussed about the latest gear!

It was heartbreaking for me when we moved to France - I had to throw out/sell/give away so much fishing tackle, some of it must have been 40+ years old! But I still packed about 40 rods, and many reels, into the high ceiling of my Peugeot Partner and trailer - some of them were over 30 years old!

They got me started fishing here but over the last four years I have acquired some rods more specific to river fishing. With a little bit of online research and advice from forums I have some lovely new rods that are a pleasure to use. They were also quite cheap!

But one of my favourite bits of tackle, which will be used again when I get out somewhere deep sea fishing is an ABU multiplier.

When I was a young angler, in my teens, I lived in Felixstowe. The sea fishing was very good then with plenty of cod, even off the pier. I used all sorts of tackle but it had to be cheap, I was just an engineering apprentice and the starting wage was £4 or so, when a qualified fitter/turner was on about £24. At that time the magazines were touting ABU (Sweden) as the best, but the popular 6000 series had alloy end plates that disintegrated after a couple of seasons salt water use.

I aspired to own a Swedish built ABU 8000c, this had end plates of black chromed brass, much more resistant to sea use. Well, I never managed to afford one whilst I lived in Suffolk but I eventually picked a good one up secondhand many years later when I was living in Scotland. That reel is still as good as the day it was made despite much boat and shore fishing around Scotland. A truly remarkable piece of engineering which was many, many years ahead of its time. It even boasts "Automatic Two Speed Gearing" which actually works! As well as being sturdy enough for lifting hefty specimens from deep water it is a very good casting reel. Remarkable!

Before anyone rushes out to buy a brand new ABU multiplier - don't bother! They are now made in China, everything inside them has been built DOWN to a price - horrible things!
Hi pelamid. I many years ago purchased the Ambassador 9000 cost new £21-6s It had the red side plates. I used it mainly for beach casting and it was very good for that although really I think a boat reel. I also used it when out in my boat. However although keeping it clean after each trip the side plates corroded badly, Learning later that the 9000c had better side plates. I then decided to purchase the 7000c level wind for beach casting and this proved to be a much better reel. After a number of years, although I now can't remember the price, I sold it for more than I paid new for it.
I did not know they are now made in China. How sad !!

John Aston

Reaction score
You have your own private incinerator?
No! I did a lot of legal work on a new site north of York serving the councils responsible for waste management in the area . Living the dream eh?

steve2

Reaction score
To true, my ABU multipliers are from the 1970/80 and never let me down. Read a lot about the build of the new ones and it does match the price they have on them.
Look on ebay for older models that are well built. Only prolem is you wont find many if any left hand versions.

Steve King

Reaction score
Abu Garcia still manufacture one or two multipliers in Sweden, however sadly most of their tackle is now made in China.

I have some Swedish made Abu reels; 2 505 closed face, 2 Suveran fixed spool, and an Ambassadeur 6000C multiplier and they are in regular use.

I don’t keep up with the latest fashion in tackle! I have a couple of Normark float rods that are getting on a bit, but I see no reason to change them for something more modern.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
No! I did a lot of legal work on a new site north of York serving the councils responsible for waste management in the area . Living the dream eh?
Ha, lived the dream, still, you seemed to have done OK out of it. So your old gear gets incinerated? I only ask because you was not clear whether this was your personal incinerator or a council one. Its just that I have not heard of many of these, or that they got shelved because of the cost of them or the fact people complained about them being built. I do not not know the facts on a national scale but I believe most of our old gear will at some time end up in a land fill. The journey might be long and varied but, house clearance, junk shop, skip, wheelie bin and so on is probably most of its route at some time. Incineration would be a better end to a lot of it but, this country does not seem to have a penchant for them. But, good that your N York council have attempted that at least.
I personally don't think it matters whether its 1 rod a year or 10 rods a year, it will just take 10 times as long to pollute to the same level and the end result is the same if you see what I mean.

John Aston

Reaction score
Oh , people complained alright, it's only to be expected . It is exactly the same as affordable housing - everybody acknowledges the need for it before arguing that there are compelling reasons why it should not be built in their community , but somewhere else . And if a great crested newt or bat can be found can be found , so much the better. I once had a newt objection from caring locals opposed to some much needed new housing - so environmentally minded were they that they'd been using the newt pond for garden waste, discarded tyres and old fridges for years...

Because of landfill tax , there are many reasons why it ca be argued why incineration is a good thing . Everything that can be recycled is recycled and the remainder is burned and produces electricity for the grid . Clean , quiet and non smelly outside too.

steve2

Reaction score
Oh , people complained alright, it's only to be expected . It is exactly the same as affordable housing - everybody acknowledges the need for it before arguing that there are compelling reasons why it should not be built in their community , but somewhere else . And if a great crested newt or bat can be found can be found , so much the better. I once had a newt objection from caring locals opposed to some much needed new housing - so environmentally minded were they that they'd been using the newt pond for garden waste, discarded tyres and old fridges for years...

Because of landfill tax , there are many reasons why it ca be argued why incineration is a good thing . Everything that can be recycled is recycled and the remainder is burned and produces electricity for the grid . Clean , quiet and non smelly outside too.
That is the big problem we always want the problems solved what ever they are but we are all NIMBYS at heart. We alway forget that the nice house we live in was once countryside. I grew up surrounded by countryside and wildlife that house is now surrounded by 1000's of houses.
Burning waste to produce power to me is a good idea if it stops the countryside being covered in wind farms and solar panels.

sam vimes

Reaction score
Burning waste to produce power to me is a good idea if it stops the countryside being covered in wind farms and solar panels.

Nothing is likely to stop that now. The only thing that might have managed it was nuclear power stations.

steve2

Reaction score
To run this electric future that our grandchildren will grow up in nuclear power will be the only way forward.

Old fisher

Reaction score
To run this electric future that our grandchildren will grow up in nuclear power will be the only way forward.
Electric cars. I know very little about electricity but cars now have an alternator to charge the battery so, If the battery was used to get the car moving or while stationary when stopped, why not say, have for instance an alternator on each wheel or axel (4) that would power the car when moving and to also top up the main battery