When I was young

mikench

Reaction score
Electric vehicles and hybrids don't have an alternator. Instead, they have a DC-to-DC converter that recharges the 12-volt battery using power from the high-voltage battery pack (the “traction battery”) that powers the vehicle.

Old fisher

Reaction score
Electric vehicles and hybrids don't have an alternator. Instead, they have a DC-to-DC converter that recharges the 12-volt battery using power from the high-voltage battery pack (the “traction battery”) that powers the vehicle.
This is all over the top of my head, so I think I will pull out of this conversation

John Aston

Reaction score
If only Tesla , General Motors , Mercedes and Ford etc had employed you as a consultant .... you have the holy grail of 100% efficiency and endess recyclability .Coming soon - my plan to run the railways on unicorn tears.

wetthrough

Reaction score
Regenerative braking goes some way to recharging but not enough for perpetual motion! And it does rely on you braking and possibly decelerating which there isn't a lot of on a motorway.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
I get the National Geographic every month, last issue there was a big article on electric cars in one form or another. It was not biased just the facts, electric cars will be/are the thing, it is so far down the line now I don't think anyone could stop it.

nottskev

Reaction score
Regenerative braking goes some way to recharging but not enough for perpetual motion! And it does rely on you braking and possibly decelerating which there isn't a lot of on a motorway.
How did you manage to answer without withering sarcasm, Gordon? are you some kind of engineer? :)

Last edited:

steve2

Reaction score
When I was young I sharpen hooks with a file now you can get something I have never seen before The Nash Pinpoint Hook Doctor, sharpens hooks in seconds and only costs £80. I assume it is aimed at a carp anglers must have.

Old fisher

Reaction score
When I was young I sharpen hooks with a file now you can get something I have never seen before The Nash Pinpoint Hook Doctor, sharpens hooks in seconds and only costs £80. I assume it is aimed at a carp anglers must have.
Hi steve2 Sometime in about the mid 1970s as the carp craze started, I really got the bug. So reading books from guys who were spreading the word, I learnt all I could. I learnt to walk around a lake looking for signs of feeding carp. Then how to choose the best swim to be able to cast accurately. and also learnt different ground baiting techniques. There wasn't a lot of info about in those days but I learnt what I could, and it was great fun. Now anglers starting carp fishing for the first time, no longer have to do any of that. They just buy a bait boat, load terminal tackle, along with a kilo of boilies, switch on the boats camera and send the boat out all over the lake until the camera picks up feeding fish and press the dumping button on the exact spot and wait in the hotel until the warning siren sounds. I keep looking in mags for someone who's selling an automatic retrieve and netting system. That's the only thing missing from the modern carp anglers armoury. Job done. Another expert angler has been born.

The bad one

Reaction score
. Clean , quiet and non smelly outside too.
But the emitted dioxins might just go deep into your lungs and kill you. But wait they're all filtered out of the stack before they go up it.......yeah right the are!

steve2

Reaction score
Hi steve2 Sometime in about the mid 1970s as the carp craze started, I really got the bug. So reading books from guys who were spreading the word, I learnt all I could. I learnt to walk around a lake looking for signs of feeding carp. Then how to choose the best swim to be able to cast accurately. and also learnt different ground baiting techniques. There wasn't a lot of info about in those days but I learnt what I could, and it was great fun. Now anglers starting carp fishing for the first time, no longer have to do any of that. They just buy a bait boat, load terminal tackle, along with a kilo of boilies, switch on the boats camera and send the boat out all over the lake until the camera picks up feeding fish and press the dumping button on the exact spot and wait in the hotel until the warning siren sounds. I keep looking in mags for someone who's selling an automatic retrieve and netting system. That's the only thing missing from the modern carp anglers armoury. Job done. Another expert angler has been born.
I do remember the good old days of carp fishing back in late 1960s and 70 it was fishing for fish that in some early cases weren't in the water.
We lived and learnt and finally caught our first doubles which at the time were still quite rare and finally our first 20.
Now even 20lb fish are considered run of the mill,

Old fisher

Reaction score
Hi steve2 In the 1970s I managed to join a club that had 3 lakes that contained carp that were given annually to the club by what was then known as the Kent river Board, they came from a fish farm in Italy in the late 50s & early 60s. There were no fish farms in the UK at the time. I spent 2 seasons on their smallest lake learning about catching and handling them. I had carp up to 12lbs.(26fish) I eventually moved on to their biggest lake that had the earliest fish put in. After spending 3 nights on this lake in 1979 I eventually had success. On the 3rd night I caught 3 carp. They weighed 14lbs 8oz, 16lbs 4oz and my first twenty at 27lbs Loads of the other members came round to witness and take photos. I still have a couple of pics
Later I moved on to another club and I went on to eventually catching a number twenties through the next 30 years or so, including a couple of 30 pounders including a 32lb common

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
I do remember the good old days of carp fishing back in late 1960s and 70 it was fishing for fish that in some early cases weren't in the water.
We lived and learnt and finally caught our first doubles which at the time were still quite rare and finally our first 20.
Now even 20lb fish are considered run of the mill,
Steve a gravel pit I fish has 20lb carp in the margins, A few are caught on the pole , biggest margin carp I have had on the pole is 15lb. I lost one at the net that had come out the week before at 23lb, one of the locals recognized the distinctive markings on it ,
The usually run around 8lb-10lb in the margins, The bigger ones up against the island 40 yards away or in the centre of the pit.
The club try and remove the larger ones and transfer them to the specimen lake .