When is Sedge NOT Sedge ?

P

Paul Fletcher

I agree with Stewart Moss when he says that we should all stick together rather than 'slagging each other off'.

Its a shame that we can't all be happy for an angler to catch some great fish which is just reward for putting a lot of time and effort in like Sedge does.

Good luck to you Sedge and you keep catching those whackers!

Fletch

D

Dove Bailiff

lets set this record straight, I am using an alias as i dont want any
more publicity for this stretch than it already has. i am well known in
the club that runs this stretch and i dont want to ruin my own fishing.
i have fished this stretch for years and me and my mates have detailed
records of most of the fish caught. we know for a fact that there are
only 2 or 3 doubles within a mile or two of the swim he camps in
regularly and not giving anybody else a chance. The truth is that the
six doubles hes caught are two or three of the same fish caught
repeatedly from the same swim where anybody can catch them if they spend
enough time in the swim, if they get the chance that is. Its no use
asking for photographic evidence because we all know that digital
pictures can be doctored. Running away from the forum is the easy way
out because that way he doesnt have to answer any awkword qestions.
someday the truth will come out and everyone will know that the dove
bailiff isnt the real bad guy in this matter. I just wish i could have
posted with my real name because then I could have given some evidense
of my claims, backing it up with dates and photographs of my own. I just
hope that some of the lads who know whats going on and don't care about
using their own names will come on and back me up

P

Paul Williams

I wasn't going to comment again but i'm afraid that one of your comments has to be picked up on DB........i may not agree with some of the goings on but i do not believe for one moment that the pics would be doctored.......i believe that some of the fish may be the same.....but not that the pics are doctored.

R

Ron Clay

Come on Dove Bailiff, have the courage of your convictions and give us your real name. Who are you?

K

Kelvin Moore

DB commented...."I just
hope that some of the lads who know whats going on and don't care about
using their own names will come on and back me up"

I havent posted on the forum for a while and have just read this last comment and cant believe what Im reading...

Are you honestly asking others to come and fight your corner and make themselves public whilst you remain anonymous. If what you are saying is true, what possible harm could it do you to let us know who you are - surely you would be seen as a "hero"???? for pointing out such facts!!

Its crap like this that lets other forums down in my opinion.

Sedge please dont stop posting as I think it gives the wrong message.

Tight lines

R

Rob Brownfield

My two penneth!

Sounds like a personal vendetta going on..not good. Without proof though, i believe that DB should now bow down and retract his comments, unless he can substantiate them.

If this is a case of jealousy, then I am afraid its a common occurance on all sorts of forums, not just fishing.

Sedge, tolerance mate...don't let it get you down.

M

Michael Hall

DB I have nothing against you or your views and I dont want to get involved with it but as a result of you saying things on this forum there have been alot of unhappy members about your actions. I just want to say wouldn't it of been a better idea for you (who ever you are) to confront him in person and just say to sadge what you are not happy about instead of bringing it onto the forum and not only up setting members but giving the wrong impression to new comers to the site!!! This forum was not set up for slagging matchs and I hope that we have all learnt a lesson and that is to keep your views about someone to yourself and not hosting an argument! We are not all here to argue and so on we are here as a group of anglers of all ages and so on, but we aren't here to have a go at someone!

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
It?s almost time that this thread was brought to a close. Accusations have been made and the thread has been left open until now to give Sedge an opportunity to change his mind and further answer his critics.

Unfortunately, in spite of many pleading with him to change his mind about withdrawing from any interaction with FM?s members through the forum, he has decided to remain detached from it. This is a pity, because he often had many interesting, witty and wise contributions to make.

It is mainly unfortunate, however, because it is a victory for the anonymous, the faceless ones that inhabit forums to spread their poisonous insinuations and accusations from behind an assumed name.

I?m not speaking out of turn here, because what I?m about to say I?ve already said to Sedge in personal emails. I think he is wrong, very wrong, to run away from this issue. If all angling writers decided to ignore their critics in letter?s pages or forums and remain aloof there would be little point in the magazine or website providing the means for readers to question and discuss what they?ve read.

Fair enough, reply to a critic, and then ignore any further criticism if one feels the first reply was adequate, but to withdraw completely from the forum is NOT the answer. In this instance it is merely handing victory to those who abuse the medium.

I can understand him wanting to withdraw from any further discussion with ?Dove Bailiff?, but I cannot understand why that should include withdrawing from any further discussion with all the good people who inhabit this forum, who don?t deserve to be ignored, especially since he obviously has so many fans fighting his corner for him.

It?s wrong; I?ve told him I think it?s wrong, and I want everyone to know my view on this issue, hence this post.

Before closing, let me say that I?m not sure what ?Dove Bailiff? is getting at with his ?photo doctoring? comment, but let me assure everyone that none of the photos that Sedge has submitted have been doctored, other than to delete backgrounds where necessary so as to comply with the publicity ban that the ruling club enforces.

I'll allow further comments on this issue, particularly the points I've just raised, but not from 'Dove Bailiff'. If he has further comments to make he should use his real name, otherwise they will be deleted.

M

Michael Hall

I agree with you actions graham!

I just want to say something that it is a shame that people have to go too far and spoil it for everyone!
People also have their own views however some are best kept to them selves!
"If you cant say anything good dont say anything at all"

G

Gary Knowles

I tend to agree with you Graham that anyone who puts things in print shouldn't walk away if questioned.

I personally, would (and quite often do!), answer any critic's that take issue with what I write, this doesn't mean I will fall out with them, merely re-emphasise my own point of view. If we still can't agree, then I usually offer to buy the guy a drink and we agree to disagree - life's too short !

Personally I feel it comes with the territory, so if you do read this Sedge - think about it, the more writing you do, the more people will disagree with your methods, tactics or theories its just the way things are.

You can be sure if you walk away from this one, eventually another issue will be raised in another paper or another website somewhere else. What do you do then, the same ?.......

G

GYPSY DAVE

I posted on this site on the 15th in a jokey type of way,thinking that this thread was all mates having a laugh. How wrong can you be! My reasons for coming on here were that this site was as friendly as you could get,whilst learning loads,and also being able to have a giggle while we all enjoyed our leisure time away from "real life". This thread has become a "witch hunt" for the Dove Baliff,(which he deserves in my opinion) and a "keep sedge on the net" campaign. Surely if the "DB" cant be bothered to justify his claims and the site controllers are not able to expose his details,we should all say "up your's DB!" and hope that Sedge takes on board our heartfelt praise for not only his articles, but his honest and "real time,doing it and it hurts" feelings in print.I'm a Carpy and have no personal input in this as i know no one involved in this and have only caught 3 Barbel in my life, but i do know life is very short. To short for arguements.L.O.L

S

Stewart Bloor

Hello everyone, I just wanted to take the opportunity to say how overwhelmed I have been with the correspondence that has been directed to me, both on the site and also as direct mail.

I have actually been embarassed at all the nice things that (most!) people have said to me, or about me. In fact, it's only usually when you die that people make these sort of comments at your funeral. It's nice to hear these things when you're alive!

I never for one moment imagined that my comments about not posting on forums would raise such a response. It is not an understatement to say I have been overwhelmed and taken back.

Anyway, I do need to cut back on visiting fishing sites, so perhaps put in a different way, I do need to spend less time on forums and so on. I use the Net for research (work) but so often find I'm not doing that but indulging myself on fishing sites! So I don't want the good folks of FM to take offence by my abscence. It's nothing personal.

Maybe I'll do a 'Pope' and make an annual appearance on the forum every Easter Sunday or something like that!

Anyway, I haven't been fishing for 9 days (work) so I'm about to do something about that, that's for sure......Otherwise I'll have nothing to write about in PP....So, I'm now off to fish the River $?(*^%, in the ^%$?(& area controlled by ^)^?"(&^ club...hahahahaha

Sedge

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
Sedge, Steve Pope comes on this forum a lot more often than once a year you know! And he's very welcome I must say.

R

Rob Brownfield

Sedge, I got the wrong end of the stick...I thought you HAD passed away! Sorry mate :)

Anyway, should you not be parting waters or turning water into hot chocolate, or whatever that beardy bloke did?...oh no...he went fishing too :)

C

Chris Bishop

Let's make sure the kind of stupidity and abuse which seems so rife everywhere else gets short shrift whenever it rears its head on here.

S

Stewart Bloor

Hey, at this rate I'll have more comebacks than Frank Sinatra....

S

Shrek

Good job we can't hear you sing though, otherwise it may well be your obituary

LOL