The centrepin reel thread......

Neil Maidment

Reaction score
FM Fish-In on the Kennett... 11 years ago :)

grayday4lrg.jpg

Neil Maidment

Reaction score
As much as I love my centrepins, they are designed to be used and I do.

I alternate them frequently but the ones that currently find their way into my bag are:

Mint Shakespeare Centenary Aerial (inherited) - not the prettiest but I now happily trot a float all day long with this one.

IMG_6259.jpg

IMG_6260.jpg

barbel2.jpg

Mint Dave Swallow MKII. I did have a pair but sold one.

012.jpg

image.jpg

Triple Check Speedia (inherited). Well used workhorse which will catch me a few barbel especially when paired with the mint hand built MKIV Avon of the same era (also inherited). I christened the pairing with some easy carp into double figures which was a very "interesting" experience.

IMG_6574.jpg

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
Well ...today I went and had a proper look at the Conquest gathering dust in one of my local shops. I have to say that for the money I was a bit underwhelmed. Dont get me wrong, it was nicer than I expected and would certainly benefit from a bit of oil as I've no doubt this feller is as dry as a bone.

What put me off was the check lever. Right position but rather stiff and i didnt like the 3 positions nor the fact that it was plastic. I would have thought for that sort of money they could have put a metal one on....if the plastic lever should ever snap it looked terminal. And should it get dropped and land on the lever I think it would snap.

Anyway...it didn't whisper "take me home" very loudly so it's still there....though with a bit of hard nosed bargaining I did manage to negotiate a pretty substantial discount. Still a lot of money though and as my fishing seem to increasingly be stillwater based I couldn't see that I really needed it. Wasn't that fussed on the black finish either and you know what a fusspot I can be about the look of a reel.

Frankly....I went expecting not to leave the shop without it but it will have to work a bit harder than that if it wants a new home. Did I mention that it's an awful lot of money too ?

Last edited:
B

binka

Well ...today I went and had a proper look at the Conquest gathering dust in one of my local shops. I have to say that for the money I was a bit underwhelmed. Dont get me wrong, it was nicer than I expected and would certainly benefit from a bit of oil as I've no doubt this feller is as dry as a bone.

What put me off was the check lever. Right position but rather stiff and i didnt like the 3 positions nor the fact that it was plastic. I would have thought for that sort of money they could have put a metal one on....if the plastic lever should ever snap it looked terminal. And should it get dropped and land on the lever I think it would snap.

Anyway...it didn't whisper "take me home" very loudly so it's still there....though with a bit of hard nosed bargaining I did manage to negotiate a pretty substantial discount. Still a lot of money though and as my fishing seem to increasingly be stillwater based I couldn't see that I really needed it. Wasn't that fussed on the black finish either and you know what a fusspot I can be about the look of a reel.

Frankly....I went expecting not to leave the shop without it but it will have to work a bit harder than that if it wants a new home. Did I mention that it's an awful lot of money too ?

Out of interest Skip was it the 4 or the 4.5" model and what did you nitter the asking price down to?

On the 'plastic' check lever concerns I'm told that it's something called Teflon PTFE/FEP which I think is derived from nylon, one thing for sure is that it ain't gonna break and trust me I'm qualified in that department :D

The inner components of the same material would have to sustain the kind of damage consistent with reversing over it to break them imo, it's just the way they're put together.

You've still got to be happy with it though and if it's not lighting your fire then there are doubtless others that will so why not put your hard earned on something that jumps out at you a bit more?

The 4.5" are definitely getting a bit thin on the ground now, I've recently acquired one from Southside Angling in Dublin so if your man's is a 4.5", and you're not interested, then I'm not ruling out a fifth :)

sam vimes

Reaction score
I want a lever that you can flick on and off very much easier.

I doubt it will suit for other reasons, but the Fox centrepin has a lever you might like. If you do, it'll be for the same reasons I don't! I'd rather have the Hardy, plastic and all.

gninja

Reaction score
hi all, looking for a bit of advice as a newcomer to centrepins. Looking to do some long trotting for Grayling this winter and was wondering what peoples preffered main line was. In other words is a good supple nylon better for this than a flouro which has a tendency to sink etc. no doubt we will have a few opinions but all advice is welcome and a bit of disagreement can be educational for all. Also i can see how centrepins can become a bit of an addiction having read some of the posts here. cheers

Philip

Reaction score
Drennan Floatfish seems to work well enough. They recently changed it but having used the new version for a while now it seems seems pretty good although a bit more expensive than the old one.

flightliner

Reaction score
FM Fish-In on the Kennett... 11 years ago :)

grayday4lrg.jpg
Third one along 'll do it for me Neil.
Ps, Just noticed but I think the rod it's attached to is the Daiwa connouseur stick rod which I also have.
D'you remember who the owner is/was Neil?
Lovely pik is that !!

Last edited:

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
If you want a low diameter line the silstar match is great. If you want a tough reliable line the daiwa sensor is spot on. Sensor as your mainline and silstar match as your hooklength makes a great combination.

sam vimes

Reaction score
I'm largely back to using mono after a couple of years mucking about with braid (has plus points, and a few negatives, when compared to mono). I've been using the fairly new Dave Harrell Pro Float since the summer. I've been impressed enough with it to have no inclination to go back to the usual suspects such as Drennan Floatfish, Kamasan Bayer Perlon or Silstar Matchteam.

Another Dave

Reaction score
If you want a low diameter line the silstar match is great. If you want a tough reliable line the daiwa sensor is spot on. Sensor as your mainline and silstar match as your hooklength makes a great combination.

I just had a look and there seems to be a few types of Sensor, which would should we be looking at, if you don't mind?

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I use the bulk spools of daiwa sensor in brown. I can't put a link up with this pad thing i'm using but theres loads on ebay. I got a fresh apool a couple of weeks ago and if I remember I paid about 7 quid for it including post. I use 4 and 6lb for the biggest part. There's no shortaage of sensor haters on this forum but best to ignore them, they ain't got a clue!

Another Dave

Reaction score
I use the bulk spools of daiwa sensor in brown. I can't put a link up with this pad thing i'm using but theres loads on ebay. I got a fresh apool a couple of weeks ago and if I remember I paid about 7 quid for it including post. I use 4 and 6lb for the biggest part. There's no shortaage of sensor haters on this forum but best to ignore them, they ain't got a clue!

i appreciate the kind gesture but you could have just said 'brown'

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
i appreciate the kind gesture but you could have just said 'brown'

You've lost me: :confused:
As far as i'm aware they only make it in brown and claer and i've only ever had the clear in 8lb strain. I think Mike had some clear in 6lb and it looked like geeat stuff.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
They haven't got any of that **** on their reels either !

This is why I mentioned the haters Dave. As soon as the words daiwa sensor are posted people jump on board and slag the stuff off.
It makes no difference to me what anyone else uses but most of my fishing is float fishing on running water and i've found sensor to be good reliable line at a affordable price.

mikench

Reaction score
It's all great stuff and I have clear in 6 8 and 10 all bought of the bay. I have the brown in 4,6 and 8!

I used to think an itchifanny was a Japanese motorbike until I discovered Sensor !:rolleyes: