The centrepin reel thread......

sam vimes

Reaction score
What annoys me is how few manufacturers say whether a line floats or sinks. Its such a basic thing to know.

I had quite an interesting chat with a bloke while back about this and his opinion was that ALL mono sinks as they all take on water, just some do it slower than others.

Not sure how true that is but I'll still like a spool to say this line is at least designed to be "floating" or "sinking".

I suspect that they don't because it would impact sales. Far better to vaguely hint that a line is suitable for all things rather than specifics.

Fluorocarbon is much more dense than any mono. It sinks like a brick once through the surface tension. I've still seen it float when new or when treated to do so.

I'm inclined to believe that mono has a general propensity to sink, especially once well used. However, the way they are finished, or treated post purchase, can make one type of mono float better and/or for longer than others.

I believe that this is why some folks like lines, that I consider as sinking lines, for an application that I would only use a floating line. I don't do line treatments to help lines float. Perversely, I'm not above degreasing/cleaning a line to ensure it sinks.

Philip

Reaction score
I'm wondering if they dont say it floats because as others have suggested - they basically all sink eventually so they cant say "floating".

A least Drennan stick their neck out and call it "Float" fish even if its not specifially saying the line floats....they also have a method line that they do specifically say "sinks".

They are one of the few.

One of the more bizzare suggestions I heard of was Tom Pickering who said for waggler fishing he liked to use a floating line that he then treated to sink !

gninja

Reaction score
wow guys, when i originally asked about advice on trotting lines i expected a little banter but not a full on debate and "huffyness", if such a word exists. I think i now know what i will try first, and may even get back to you with my thoughts. Not saying which brand yet though. Must say its good to see a great mix of passion and reasoning going on, and thanks for all the feedback.
Now whats the best place to source gilt tail worms at this time of year?I believe they are called Dendrodrilus rubidus or Dendrobaena. preferably about 30-50mm long. Now someone must have an opinion on that. good stuff guys.

Philip

Reaction score
If I recall correctly the idea behind using the floating line but treating it to sink was that it sank but then held just below the surface so you could avoid surface drift but still had easy line pickup on the strike.

Well according to Mr Pickering anyway.

B

binka

Now whats the best place to source gilt tail worms at this time of year?

A decent local tackle shop should be able to supply them, if you're struggling just look for where the matchmen buy their bait.

I currently pay £14.25 per kilo but it varies wildly, I was once asked for twice that price before suggesting to the shop in question a dark place in which they could keep them.

Failing that there are the online bait suppliers where you can even choose the size but they're not the cheapest, such as:

Dendrobaena Worms | Willy Worms

Apologies to Ian for going off topic and to get back on I hereby declare that all 'pins which still have the handles attached all have one handle too many because it was quicker and easier for the maker to balance the drum and all 'pins with two handles are the 'pin equivalent of Stradics!!! :eek: ;) :D

gninja

Reaction score
You echoed my thoughts, as the local tackle shops all say its the wrong time of year, and the places i have looked online seem a bit pricey for a tub of worms. However i don't want to hijack the centrepin thread so thanks again one and all.

Graham Elliott 1

Reaction score
Silstar Match Team. Gets my vote after years of contented use.

Tried Sensor last week grayling fishing. Felt, for want of another word........plasticy.:eek:

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Silstar Match Team. Gets my vote after years of contented use.

Tried Sensor last week grayling fishing. Felt, for want of another word........plasticy.:eek:

I'm a silsatar user but i've only ever used it as hooklengths. I keep saying i'm gonn'a try it as a mainline straight through.:rolleyes:

Maybe sensor felt plasticy because it is plastic?

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I know Tigger. I missed "bag" word off:D

I've often praised silstar match and had negative responses about it just as I have when I sing sensors praises ;).
I ignore the ignorant replys because the results i've had using sensor speak for themselves :cool:.

Graham Elliott 1

Reaction score
Thank goodness we like different things. Otherwise the choice would be but one.

Personally I prefer blondes. Without any plastic. ( yes I know....silicone)

Philip

Reaction score
I dont really understand the negative comments about Sensor either to be honest. Its landed at least 2 British record Carp (& I mean record Carp prior to the merry go round we have now). I doubt some of the anglers using it would risk using a naff line on waters where you only get a handful of chances a season.

When I started to find Big Game hard to come by I switched to Sensor for my bigger fish reels and its done very well. Its got some downsides but for a reliable affordable line its right up there. At the price you dont think twice about changing it.

I have used the 15lb and 6lb pretty extensivly and just recently got myself some 4lb which I am putting through its paces. Cant see anything wrong with it yet.

Not tried it on a pin as I am happy with Floatfish but I might give it a go one of these days.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I dont really understand the negative comments about Sensor either to be honest. Its landed at least 2 British record Carp (& I mean record Carp prior to the merry go round we have now). I doubt some of the anglers using it would risk using a naff line on waters where you only get a handful of chances a season.

When I started to find Big Game hard to come by I switched to Sensor for my bigger fish reels and its done very well. Its got some downsides but for a reliable affordable line its right up there. At the price you dont think twice about changing it.

I have used the 15lb and 6lb pretty extensivly and just recently got myself some 4lb which I am putting through its paces. Cant see anything wrong with it yet.

Not tried it on a pin as I am happy with Floatfish but I might give it a go one of these days.

I got a spool of 4lb off ebay the other day for less than 6 quid delivered! I think there are several or more sellers trying to out sell each other at the moment so worth a if anyone needs some.

sam vimes

Reaction score
Has anyone that has said they dislike Sensor ever suggested that you can't catch fish with it?:confused:

I don't object to it for legering, though there are other lines I prefer. It's for float fishing that I can't abide the stuff, but that's not to ignore the fact that my reasons for disliking the stuff might be the very reasons that others love it.

My reasons for disliking Sensor for float fishing are that it's wiry, kinks badly and has excessive memory. None of that is a big issue in a legering line, especially with heavy legering techniques. Further to that, for trotting, especially once it's been used for a while, it has a natural tendency to sink.

As a sinking floatfishing line there are at least two mono alternatives, Preston PowerMax and Maxima Chameleon, I'd prefer to use. As a floating line for trotting, I've already said that I'd rather use DH Pro-Float, Kamasan Bayer Perlon, Drennan Floatfish or Silstar Matchteam. As things stand, the cost of the stuff barely registers. I'd still pay for the alternatives even if I got Sensor for free. That's the truth of the matter, I'd rather pay for a line I like than use a cheaper line I don't. I wish I did like Sensor, it being cheap is the one thing I do really like about it.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Has anyone that has said they dislike Sensor ever suggested that you can't catch fish with it?:confused:

I don't object to it for legering, though there are other lines I prefer. It's for float fishing that I can't abide the stuff, but that's not to ignore the fact that my reasons for disliking the stuff might be the very reasons that others love it.

My reasons for disliking Sensor for float fishing are that it's wiry, kinks badly and has excessive memory. None of that is a big issue in a legering line, especially with heavy legering techniques. Further to that, for trotting, especially once it's been used for a while, it has a natural tendency to sink.

As a sinking floatfishing line there are at least two mono alternatives, Preston PowerMax and Maxima Chameleon, I'd prefer to use. As a floating line for trotting, I've already said that I'd rather use DH Pro-Float, Kamasan Bayer Perlon, Drennan Floatfish or Silstar Matchteam. As things stand, the cost of the stuff barely registers. I'd still pay for the alternatives even if I got Sensor for free. That's the truth of the matter, I'd rather pay for a line I like than use a cheaper line I don't. I wish I did like Sensor, it being cheap is the one thing I do really like about it.

That just shows how didferent we all are,. The faults you say you have with sensor are what I have with the other lines you mention, excluding the DH line as i've never used that and won't either unless it comes down dramatically in price!
Regarding it sinking after a bit of use, the stuff i've been using for years on my fixed spool reels is still a serious pain in the harris for float fishing as I have to keep sinking it when float fishing still waters. I've used chameleon many times and it was ok, but it's a higher diameter to B/S than sensor. I've tied 6lb sensor to 8lb chameleon in the past with plans of using the sensor as a bottom when legering for tench but found that when tied together and using various knots the maxima broke off well before the sensor, and always above the knot! Needless to say I aborted that idea lol.

thecrow

Reaction score
What qualities do different anglers want from a line? there seems to be so many conflicting views on whats good for what that there must be lots of different things required by different anglers even for doing the same job.

Any time the question of line comes up it always raises loads of opinions from members, all lines as far as I know are made from polymers how different can they be?

sam vimes

Reaction score
excluding the DH line as i've never used that and won't either unless it comes down dramatically in price!

I've seen a few complaints that the DH stuff is too expensive. It's usually from people proposing Drennan Floatfish or Kamasan Bayer Perlon. Like them, you've not failed to notice that DH Pro-Float is £7.99 for 300m, as opposed to £3.30-4.00 for 100m like the Drennan or Kamasan and £3.75-5.00 for Silstar Matchteam? The DH stuff is actually cheaper than all three of the usual suspects. I'm not made of money, I'd not be using it if it were £7.99 for 100m.

Regarding it sinking after a bit of use, the stuff i've been using for years on my fixed spool reels is still a serious pain in the harris for float fishing as I have to keep sinking it when float fishing still waters.

There's a difference between failure to break through the surface tension of the water and genuine buoyancy. If Sensor rose to the surface of the water, after breaking through the surface tension, it would be a genuine floating line. I've certainly had similar experiences with Maxima, which is rarely claimed as a floating mono. However, I suspect that most monos aren't too much different in that respect, just some "float" better, for longer than others. That's precisely why I mess about with braid, it really, really does float. Try using it as a waggler line and watch it pop back to the surface every time.

I've used chameleon many times and it was ok, but it's a higher diameter to B/S than sensor.

No doubt that Maxima is about as far from a modern hi-tec low diameter mono as you can possibly get. I don't use it for the diameter. I usually couldn't care less about the diameter of my mainline. It's the low memory, feel, longevity, abrasion resistance and sinking that do it for me.

What qualities do different anglers want from a line? there seems to be so many conflicting views on whats good for what that there must be lots of different things required by different anglers even for doing the same job.

Any time the question of line comes up it always raises loads of opinions from members, all lines as far as I know are made from polymers how different can they be?

Each individual will have their own preferences. However, the evidence of my own experience suggests that not all lines are equal. All lines may be polymers, but which polymers and with what additional ingredients? It's patently obvious that different ingredients can alter the characteristics of a mono. You can see that just from the multitude of different colours that are available.

I don't have an issue with Tigger liking Sensor for trotting. I don't have an issue with him recommending it to others, provided he also mentions the rather telling caveat that he strips it off completely after each use. As far as I'm concerned, that's a rather significant caveat to fail to mention. To my mind, it's akin to claiming that your favourite reel is an old Abu 507 but neglecting to mention that you have a Dave Plowman modified 507.
Changing so frequently must also influence anyone's thinking with regards to price. I'd be using the cheapest stuff possible if I got just one use out of it.

Last edited: